IGNORED

International Politics / Current Events Thread

4 hours ago, G-type said:

The 3 hostages IDF shot were shirtless waving white flags when soldiers opened fire on them. You wouldn’t mistake unarmed hostages trying to escape as targets unless you’re indiscriminately killing civilians.

Tragic for sure. I don't know the circumstances, could very well be that the soldier involved (I heard it was just one) was trigger-happy and should be court-martialed. Or not. Again, I don't know the details and I'm sure an investigation is underway. I do agree that this is a terrible tragedy and I do also know that Hamas often will disguise themselves as Israeli soldiers, or Israeli civilians, in order to try and ambush Israelis -- that's what Hamas did on Oct 7th.

IMG_5204.jpeg.e383374dce1ec276dc67dfe443b6e035.jpeg
אנחנו בחברת הרי זהב,
עובדים על מגת להכין את הקרקע לקראת חזרה לגוש קטיף. מטפר עובדים שלנו
התחילו לעבוד על טיוב השטת, פינוי פסולת וגירוש פולשים.
ו מקווים כי בדמן הקרוב, יוחזרו כל החטופים בשלום לביתם, חיילינו יחדרו הביתה ונוכל בעז"ה, להתחיל את הבנייה, בכל חבל גוש קטיף..

Early Morning

We at the Hari Zahav company are working on preparing the ground for a return to Gush Katif.

Our employee's claw

They started working on rehabilitating the area, removing waste and evicting invaders. And we hope that in the next month, all the abductees will be returned safely to their homes, our soldiers will enter the home and we will be able to start the construction in the Gaza Strip, in every region of Gush Katif.

1 hour ago, Link said:

IMG_5204.jpeg.e383374dce1ec276dc67dfe443b6e035.jpeg
אנחנו בחברת הרי זהב,
עובדים על מגת להכין את הקרקע לקראת חזרה לגוש קטיף. מטפר עובדים שלנו
התחילו לעבוד על טיוב השטת, פינוי פסולת וגירוש פולשים.
ו מקווים כי בדמן הקרוב, יוחזרו כל החטופים בשלום לביתם, חיילינו יחדרו הביתה ונוכל בעז"ה, להתחיל את הבנייה, בכל חבל גוש קטיף..

Early Morning

We at the Hari Zahav company are working on preparing the ground for a return to Gush Katif.

Our employee's claw

They started working on rehabilitating the area, removing waste and evicting invaders. And we hope that in the next month, all the abductees will be returned safely to their homes, our soldiers will enter the home and we will be able to start the construction in the Gaza Strip, in every region of Gush Katif.

If this is true, and I say "if" because this sounds like propaganda and not anything real -- but should it be true, it's absolutely disgusting and sounds completely illegal. I honestly can't believe that Israel would allow this. Honestly, the more I read about it, the more it sounds false "our soldiers will enter the home and we will be able to start the construction in the Gaza Strip" Israeli soldiers do NOT work for any construction company just as Wall-Mart can not call up the National Guard! So yeah, I think it's what you would call "fake news" and I certainly hope so, because I can't imagine anyone including Israelis believing there is anything moral or right about this.

4 minutes ago, avatar! said:

If this is true, and I say "if" because this sounds like propaganda and not anything real -- but should it be true, it's absolutely disgusting and sounds completely illegal. I honestly can't believe that Israel would allow this. Honestly, the more I read about it, the more it sounds false "our soldiers will enter the home and we will be able to start the construction in the Gaza Strip" Israeli soldiers do NOT work for any construction company just as Wall-Mart can not call up the National Guard! So yeah, I think it's what you would call "fake news" and I certainly hope so, because I can't imagine anyone including Israelis believing there is anything moral or right about this.

True, though there could be some truth to it.  The quote itself sounds like complete spin, but it's not unheard of for countries to sign contracts with developers to rebuild war torn areas.  That's likely what has happened - the company is on retainer for the rebuild, and someone spun it in a negative way to make Israel look bad.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, G-type said:

why would they call them "settlements" if their inside Israel's recognized borders? doesn't even make sense.

I think it's likely that Hamas and others are calling them "settlements" simply as propaganda because they have never accepted Israel's right to exist.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, G-type said:

this is from Netanyahu's twitter, not Hamas.

I imagine (haven't verified) that in Hebrew the term "settlement" is used to describe new construction such as noted above. But, the more important fact, is that this "settlement" falls within Israel proper, and does not impinge upon Gaza.

8 hours ago, Link said:

After this horrible war is over, and hopefully it will be over soon, I'm sure a ton more of information will be released, analyzed, debated, etc. Regarding the hospital, I have no doubt Hamas used it to an extent. Whether there were tunnels directly connected to it I do not know. Here's the full article by the Post --

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2023/12/21/al-shifa-hospital-gaza-hamas-israel/

Geoffrey Corn, a law professor at Texas Tech University and a former senior law of war adviser to the U.S. Army. “It’s certainly not conclusive. The ultimate question is whether the assessment of military advantage was reasonable under the circumstances.”

After arresting the hospital’s director, Ahmed al-Kahlot, Israel released an interrogation video Tuesday in which Kahlot admitted to being a member of Hamas and said the hospital was under the control of the Izzedine al-Qassam Brigades, the group’s armed wing. In response, Gaza’s Health Ministry said the statement was made “under the force of oppression, torture and intimidation” to “justify [Israel’s] successive crimes, especially against the health system.”

I'll never agree that two-wrongs make a right, but Hamas either knew this would happen (good publicity for them) or they underestimated Israeli resolve. Or both.

16 hours ago, Link said:

I remember Jake Tapper's article (rushed to publish the night Israel assaulted the hospital) claiming this was a command center. CNN inserted a disclaimer that it couldn’t verify the claim, but Tapper insisted on putting his name to it.

He hasn’t addressed this since.

6 hours ago, Link said:

False flags

IMG_5292.jpeg

IMG_5293.jpeg

IMG_5295.jpeg

There is a small (very very very small) group of Jews that reject Israel's right to exist because they believe that Israel should and will become a kingdom again when God's will's it so -- until then, in their mind we should just relax because it's all part of God's plan! Those are the Jews you linked above -- so, yeah, "false flags" is pretty accurate here 🙂 

https://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/anti-zionism-among-jews

• Like 1
  • Eyeroll 1

1 hour ago, Link said:

Is this hateful anti-Zionism more substantial than a flyer I saw on a telephone pole? 

https://www.middleeasteye.net/opinion/israel-palestine-war-us-congress-zionism-menacing-message-jewish-faith

I would say the link you included above to the "Middle East Eye" news is about as unbiased as Fox News --

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Middle_East_Eye

Middle East Eye was launched in London in April 2014. It is not transparent about its ownership. It is formally owned by a company called M.E.E. Limited, with a lone director Jamal Bessasso.

According to its critics, Middle East Eye began to form in London when the Islamist influence of Al Jazeera was beginning to wane in 2013 and that several Al Jazeera journalists joined its team. Jonathan Powell, a senior executive at Al Jazeera was a consultant ahead of its launch, and registered the website's domain names. Jamal Bassasso, a Kuwait-born Palestinian living in London, was the sole director of Middle East Eye's parent company MEE Ltd. Bassasso was a former director for the registered agent of Hamas-controlled Al-Quds.

You're getting your news from the former director of Hamas-controlled TV and you expect people to believe this -- now that's funny.

• Like 1

Tell me two things you disagree with in the content of that essay, without attacking the source. 

Your whole issue hinges on the idea that Hamas wants to destroy all of Israel but completely ignore it's entirely mutual, Israel has given them a reason for decades. 

war is the rich man's
TERRORISM
is the poor man's war

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Link said:

Tell me two things you disagree with in the content of that essay, without attacking the source. 

Your whole issue hinges on the idea that Hamas wants to destroy all of Israel but completely ignore it's entirely mutual, Israel has given them a reason for decades. 

war is the rich man's
TERRORISM
is the poor man's war

I honestly don't see the point -- you've already made up your mind, and anything I say you'll just use the eye roll emoji -- right? I mean, you showed a few pictures of a tiny tiny minority of Jews that have never supported Israel and in fact long before this latest war they never supported nor believed in the state of Israel because to them it can only be God that decides such things -- so I explained all this, and what I did get in a response? the eye roll emoji. By the way, most Israelis and Jews in general do not support the current government and want Netanyahu out (good riddance I say)! But aside from the eye roll emoji you're adding some pithy little sayings such as the one you include above, and such sayings are a complete distraction from an actual logical argument. "war is the rich man's terrorism" -- go tell that to the Ukrainians! Tell them that they should just stop fighting and let Russia murder and take over their country because you believe "war is terrorism". Also, "terrorism" is never a poor man's war, terrorism is just that, it's mean to strike terror in the hearts of civilians that have nothing to do with any war. In fact, it's well known that terrorism is typically used for political purposes, which is exactly what Hamas did. Hamas couldn't care less about Israeli lives, AND they couldn't care less about Palestinian lives, so long as it meets their warped political agenda.

• Like 1