IGNORED

The BEST feelings in collecting!

OptOut

I'm pretty sure that there was a thread around here some time talking about the worst feelings in collecting, but I would just like to share a few of my FAVOURITE feelings in collecting, and see what others have too!

For example, recently I placed an order for a game online that I had been looking at for literally YEARS. I'm talking this listing had just been sitting there unchanged in suspended animation for TIME. The reason I didn't buy is sooner was because well, it's not complete, and although the price is okay for what it is, it's still not exactly in the impulse range. I ummmed and errrrrred for a long time, but finally I was like okay I'll scoop it up with a couple other things and just get it out of my mind.

And the FEELING I had after I made that decision was like the complete opposite of buyers remorse... Buyer's RELIEF? I guess, lol! Without even going over the logical and rational reasons you had to buy something (which tend to flip back and forth a lot of the time unless the value or the desire is just obvious) the sensation of buyer's relief tells you down to the bottom of your heart you KNOW you made the right decision!

And, this is a very specific feeling I'm talking about BTW. Most of the time you buy something and you just feel happy, or maybe you are dissatisfied occasionally. But the feeling of either buyer's remorse or buyer's relief are a lot less common! The POWERFUL feeling that you just made a great decision, which almost takes you by surprise after you already made the purchase, is a wonderful thing about collecting!

So, there's one of my favourite feelings in collecting! I got a few more, but first let me know what inflates your bubble! 😉  

• Like 2

It started several years ago. I was just a young lad, inexperienced in the ways of collecting. It was then that I saw it, an oddly-shaped Mario game for Nintendo 64. She was a beauty, though I was in a turbulent relationship with Famicom, so it wasn't meant to be.

Fast forward to last month. I finally saw her again, well I saw one that resembled her. It reminded me of the beautiful Maria no Photopi, whom I had long lusted for. So many days yanking and wanking, longing for her magical touch. This time she'd finally be mine, we'd live happily ever after.

But then, just as I was about ready to ask for her hand, I was warned, by a shifty British dog with long, furry paws. He said to me, "Dave, she's been around a lot, and even sells herself out for the price of 35K, Iraqi money of course. She's also really high maintenance and worries only about how pristine her silk clothes are. Furthermore, she's not complete, whatever that was supposed to mean."

So I took him at his word, and moved on, despite hardly a day going by without Ms Maria Photopi crossing through my mind.

A month later, I realised I was in love. The warning be damned, I'd marry that woman and we'd live happily on a tropical island, the one I'm already living on, lol.

So I went to her house to ask for her hand but something odd happened - her dad met me at the door and told me that Ms Photopi was now with another.

Before I knew it, I heard someone calling my name, and I turned around. As I turned about, a sharp pain, like a knife went through my back, as I saw a familiar furry paw wrapped around Maria herself.

So there I fell, dropped to the ground, on the floor, wounded both in body and mind. Realising it might be my time to die, I attempted to make peace, but the only words I could mutter were "Et tu, @OptOut", before shutting my eyes and drifting away from this world to the next.

• Haha 2

1. When a friend takes interest and asks if you have a certain game that they fondly remember playing... and you do.

2. When you add the final game in a series to the others on the shelf.

3. When you pick up a box of games (or receive it in the mail) and the seller has included manuals that were not advertised.

10 hours ago, LostLevel83 said:

1. When a friend takes interest and asks if you have a certain game that they fondly remember playing... and you do.

2. When you add the final game in a series to the others on the shelf.

3. When you pick up a box of games (or receive it in the mail) and the seller has included manuals that were not advertised.

These are all good ones, especially number 3! Recieving more than you expected in a deal, or even just better condition than you expected is always a huge boost!

In particular, as someone who buys a lot of cheap Xbox and 360 games, taking a disc out of the case, flipping it over and seeing nothing but a perfect, smooth, shiny unscratched disc gleaming back is like crack to me, lol! 😄

The stuff I have with me since I was a kid bring up good feelings. There's not a lot of them, but I value them the most.

Also, getting to finally have that game you always wish you had as a kid. It's exciting whether it lives up to your expectations or not.

Lastly, seeing prices on stuff go down a bit and thinking about the speculators loosing their shit with stress.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Okay, got one.

Sharing it with the community, and also with your friends.

On the community side of things, I love helping others out and seeing them fill in the gaps in their collection, putting smiles on people's faces just because, and sharing knowledge and chatting about these old games.

Even that "betrayals" thread that I made on Friday, which was immediately locked, again it was more made as a joke (and I loved the responses), and was made initially in response to a situation between @OptOut and myself. I can understand why a certain someone might have taken it the wrong way, but there was nothing sinister about it, and similarly, I've personally left any shenanigans behind when NA died...

The second part would be sharing the hobby with others. Last night @OptOut came over to mine, as well as another good friend of mine. The latter friend had grown up playing these games as a child / teenager, but he hasn't really done any of that since growing up. He has a blast asking if I had some of his favorites, like Contra, Double Dragon 2, Jackal, etc, and then we all just hung out, drinking beer, eating pizza, and escaping into a carefree world for the better part of a night. To me, this was an amazing feeling, and tbh, I left the other guys do most the playing while I just watched 😉

• Like 1

Every Christmas eve, I play and beat Mega Man X, X2, X3, and X4.

When Majesco re-released MMX on SNES, I picked up a copy at TrU one night while on Christmas break with some change I had in my pocket. i was over the moon since I figured I had missed out from it's original release and we just couldn't afford it at the time. 

My friend and I rented X2 over Christmas break the year it came out, and spent the the whole two weeks (and some late fees) dedicated to beating it.

X3 then came along and made for a memorable Christmas of '95; I had been re-reading the same GamePro preview for months leading up to the release, and it was all I asked for for Christmas. I remember waking up in the middle of the night and looking through all the presents to find one in the shape of an SNES game, so I thought it was a lock. Come morning, we get to the end of gift unwrapping and that's the last one...and it's a Program Pad. I had a really hard time covering my disappointment but wanted to make sure my folks knew I really was thankful. Later in the day, my Mom told me she tried every store in town with no luck and it wouldn't be until 2002 when I would find a complete copy. The wiki says the NA release was Jan. 31st, 1996, so the joke was on me, lol.

And X4. Again, not being able to afford it, I missed out...couldn't find this game anywhere in Nov. of '99 so my Mom got me used copies of Suikoden II and Elemental Gear Bolt for my birthday that year. My Mom caught glimpses of me using the dial up looking at anything I could find on the game, and I talked about it from time to time. By then, my Mom understood that Mega Man was (is) my favorite, so she surprised the heck out of me on Christmas morning when I opened up a new copy of MMX4. She had ordered it from Capcom.com, and she said with a laugh, "I hope you play this every year, 'cause it was really expensive". I have played it every Christmas for the past 20 years.

I love my Mom, I love Mega Man games. The wonder, the way the characters and stories spark(ed) my imagination, 4 games worth of holiday memories with family and friends...it just wouldn't feel like Christmas eve and the holiday season without MMX through X4. I associate certain games with a particular season or time of year that feels best for me to play them in, like Chrono Trigger and Xenogears in autumn, Mega Man Battle Network in summer, and MMX at Christmas. 

Christmas and Mega Man, for me, is a pairing that gives me some of the best gaming feels!

Edited by Renmauzo
Date fix
  • Like 3

If I had to keep it simple, and omit non-video game stuff, I have to say the experiences I had in Japan are tied to the best feelings I had in terms of collecting. 🤔

With the feeling of me getting the first game in my re-planned/reboot collection is also great. Because while I cannot remember when I first seen it, it helps me remember where I saw it and how I felt when it happened. Plus it has also helped me realize that I am definitely a Dragon Quest fanboy when it comes to collecting video games. Which makes my experiences being a fan of both Dragon Warrior and the Dragon Quest franchise that more special.

Plus being around you guys is on the list. It's not the same as my time at Luida's Bar or experiencing the Dragon Quest Monsters Super Light event in Akihabara. Or even Dragon Quest the Live, etc. But it's there. Somewhere on the list. I'll let you guys know before the year 2120. 😉

6 hours ago, fcgamer said:

The second part would be sharing the hobby with others. Last night @OptOut came over to mine, as well as another good friend of mine. The latter friend had grown up playing these games as a child / teenager, but he hasn't really done any of that since growing up. He has a blast asking if I had some of his favorites, like Contra, Double Dragon 2, Jackal, etc, and then we all just hung out, drinking beer, eating pizza, and escaping into a carefree world for the better part of a night. To me, this was an amazing feeling, and tbh, I left the other guys do most the playing while I just watched 😉

That sounds like a great time! Hanging out with old friends and playing games is definitely something I wish that I was able to do more often.

• Like 1