IGNORED

Movie Debate #43: The Goonies

Reed Rothchild

Rate it  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Rating explanations down below

• 10/10 - One of your very favorite movies of all time. Top 10.
    • 9/10 - Killer fucking movie. Everyone should watch it.
    • 8/10 - Great movie. Maybe one of the best released that year.
    • 7/10 - Very good movie, but not quite great.
    • 6/10 - Pretty good. You might enjoy the occasional watch, or tune in if you happen to catch it on cable.
    • 5/10 - It's okay, but maybe not something you'll go out of your way to watch.
    • 4/10 - Meh. There's plenty of better alternatives to this.
    • 3/10 - Not very good.
    • 2/10 - Not your cup of tea at all. Some people might like this, but you are not one of them.
    • 1/10 - Horrible in every way.
    • 0/10 - The Citizen Kane of painful experiences. You'd rather shove an icepick in your retinas than watch this.
    • You haven't seen the movie, but you're interested in watching it.
    • No interest in watching it.

16 hours ago, arch_8ngel said:

I'm sorry that your inner child is dead.

Hahaha, I might just be a little younger. I was into the Ninja Turtles movies and all of the great sports movies that came out in the 90's. Little Giants, Rookie of the Year, Sandlot, Mighty Ducks, Little Big League, etc. Blank Check and Dennis the Menace were some go-tos as well.

5 hours ago, Br81zad said:

Hahaha, I might just be a little younger. I was into the Ninja Turtles movies and all of the great sports movies that came out in the 90's. Little Giants, Rookie of the Year, Sandlot, Mighty Ducks, Little Big League, etc. Blank Check and Dennis the Menace were some go-tos as well.

....But the idea of finding a fully intact pirate ship full of treasure just doesn't do it for ya? 😛

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, arch_8ngel said:

I am trying not to throw up in my mouth a little at the idea of a subset of people (1) comparing Hook to Goonies at all.. and (2) liking it more 😛

It's not even a contest for me. Hook is by far my preference. 🤣🤣

I wouldn't really call them similar though, with the exception of a pirate ship being present. 

And I've never considered myself to be in the "subset". I think the majority of people I grew up with liked Hook better than Goonies. Besides, "Bangarang!" is a way better catchphrase than "Goonies never say die". What a lame line. lol

10 minutes ago, Br81zad said:

And I've never considered myself to be in the "subset". I think the majority of people I grew up with liked Hook better than Goonies. Besides, "Bangarang!" is a way better catchphrase than "Goonies never say die". What a lame line. lol

Sorry, but nothing compares to "HEY YOU GUYS!!!!"

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Br81zad said:

I wouldn't really call them similar though, with the exception of a pirate ship being present. 

That "majority of people you grew up with" are a "subset" of people that were at a specific age and time to have enjoyed Hook more.  And it kind of grosses me out 😛

Edited by arch_8ngel

Editorials Team · Posted
21 minutes ago, Br81zad said:

What about...

tenor (17).gif

• Like 1

Just now, cartman said:

I haven't seen it but you hear about these classics on and off i know they're popcultural timestamps type of movies. Some day maybe i should put them on a list and go through them all.

Goonies goes a bit beyond that, as one of the first movies with Sean Astin, Corey Feldman, or Josh Brolin.

(also has Short-Round from Temple of Doom)

Josh Brolin was obviously older than the rest of them, but it is a rare set of child actors that are actually legitimately good.

All of the kid-group dynamic of Stranger Things plays off it as a foundation, as well.

Edited by arch_8ngel
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, arch_8ngel said:

Goonies goes a bit beyond that, as one of the first movies with Sean Astin, Corey Feldman, or Josh Brolin.

(also has Short-Round from Temple of Doom)

Josh Brolin was obviously older than the rest of them, but it is a rare set of child actors that are actually legitimately good.

I don't know much about them, i know that one dude from No Country for old men that's about it. But yeah it's fun seeing famous actors in their early stages even when you're not watching the movie for them specifically. 

Editorials Team · Posted
6 minutes ago, cartman said:

I don't know much about them, i know that one dude from No Country for old men that's about it. But yeah it's fun seeing famous actors in their early stages even when you're not watching the movie for them specifically. 

Thanos_MCU.0.jpg

p-the-lord-of-the-rings-sean-astin.jpg

d4992fd0fb438a2e8f464154fc1f3c31.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

The Goonies was really the prototype for "a group of kids go on an adventure" movies. For that, it gets a lot of credit with me. Especially considering I made a comic book which followed that same model.

The parts I found most interesting: kids doing Indiana Jones-style exploring, only took up a relatively small portion of the movie. The subplot about the mafia family chasing the kids I enjoyed less.

• Like 1