IGNORED

Movie Debate #160: Ace Ventura Pet Detective

Rate it  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Rate based on your own personal preferences, NOT HISTORICAL SIGNIFICANCE

• 10/10 - One of your very favorite movies of all time.
    • 9/10 - Killer f'ing movie. Everyone should watch it.
    • 8/10 - Great movie. Easy to recommend.
    • 7/10 - Very good movie, but not quite great.
    • 6/10 - Pretty good. You might enjoy the occasional watch, or tune in if you happen to catch it on cable.
    • 5/10 - It's okay, but maybe not something you'll go out of your way to watch.
    • 4/10 - Meh. There's plenty of better alternatives to this.
    • 3/10 - Not very good.
    • 2/10 - Pretty crappy.
    • 1/10 - Horrible in every way.
    • 0/10 - The Citizen Kane of painful experiences. You'd rather shove an icepick in your retinas than watch this.
    • Never seen it, but you're interested in watching it.
    • Never seen it, never will.

Posted (edited)

I thought this was painfully unfunny when it came out, but I have a strong feeling it hasn't aged particularly well either.

That massively transphobic twist at the end felt uncomfortable already then.

Edited by Sumez
  • Like 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)

It was a big hit, and I liked it when it originally came out.  I think what hurt it the most was that Jim Carrey kinda did a version of Ace Ventura in every comedy performance after this.  The Riddler, Cable Guy, The Grinch, Dumb and Dumber (which is probably his best comedy . . . I guess) give me flashbacks to Ace Ventura.

It just felt like we saw the performance from Ace Ventura over and over again.  What was kooky, weird and original became awkward, repetitive, and almost like . . . aggressive.  I have never wanted to watch it on VHS, DVD, Cable, Streaming or anywhere else.

Voted 5

Edited by wongojack

Haven’t watched it in a while but went with an 8. Love Jim Carrey’s style, he’s definitely one of those comedians you either enjoy or loathe. 

3 hours ago, Sumez said:

Lighten up, it’s just a comedy it’s not meant to be taken super seriously.

Also the guy was just pretending to be a woman and stole the identity for his murder plot not actually transgender.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

I don't know why I never saw this one. I loved Dumb and Dumber. I saw Ace Ventura 2 and enjoyed it.  But this is one I missed in the theaters and my Dad never rented for my brother and I.  It just slipped through the cracks.

I think I've seen maybe 20 minutes or so because I do recall it would play in Best Buy, and for some reason, they kept the demo on for a loooooong time.  I'd went there several times and would stand and watch it for about 5 minutes. What I saw was entertaining, but I can't say I've "seen it".

I went with a 7.    Classic 90s comedy but I struggled a bit with rating this one.  Haven’t  seen it in ages so I’m not sure how I would feel about it now.  I enjoy stupid humor but after all these years Jim Carey’s schtick is kind of annoying.  There’s a lot of just being really loud involved and I don’t have a lot of patience for that like I did as a kid.  On a note that’s related for me mentally, I also can’t take much of Adam Sandler’s retarded guy voice movies even though I do usually enjoy his other stuff.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Hammerfestus said:

I went with a 7.    Classic 90s comedy but I struggled a bit with rating this one.  Haven’t  seen it in ages so I’m not sure how I would feel about it now.  I enjoy stupid humor but after all these years Jim Carey’s schtick is kind of annoying.  There’s a lot of just being really loud involved and I don’t have a lot of patience for that like I did as a kid.  On a note that’s related for me mentally, I also can’t take much of Adam Sandler’s retarded guy voice movies even though I do usually enjoy his other stuff.

Yeah, I aged out of Adam Sandler by about the age of 13, maybe 14? Happy Gilmore was his most tolerable film and I might be able to watch that one if I were GWF, but that’s about it.

Jim, though, his slap schtick humor did wear thing but some movies like Dumb and Dumber are still enjoyable.  He also pivoted a bit and I’ve enjoyed some of just more dramatic work.

9 hours ago, Brickman said:
13 hours ago, Sumez said:

Lighten up, it’s just a comedy it’s not meant to be taken super seriously.

We can go down this tangent only if we promise eachother not to get overtly political 🙂

I don't see how it "not being serious" excuses anything. If it's actively enforcing a demeaning perspective on an already super repressed minority group, it being played as a joke arguably only makes it worse.

Imagine the same joke, except where Ace found out the person he's been making out with was actually black and is equally disgusted by it.
"Ligten up, it's just a comedy!"

1 hour ago, Sumez said:

We can go down this tangent only if we promise eachother not to get overtly political 🙂

I don't see how it "not being serious" excuses anything. If it's actively enforcing a demeaning perspective on an already super repressed minority group, it being played as a joke arguably only makes it worse.

Imagine the same joke, except where Ace found out the person he's been making out with was actually black and is equally disgusted by it.
"Ligten up, it's just a comedy!"

You could go back and forth with what abouts all day long. That’s not what happened so why bring it up? It’s a joke, there is a fine line between being insulting and making a joke. The comedy isn’t for you and that’s ok, it’s also ok for others to find it funny.

People are too busy getting offended over everything these days, the simple solution is just to turn it off. You aren’t the target audience for the humour. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Brickman said:

People are too busy getting offended over everything these days, the simple solution is just to turn it off. You aren’t the target audience for the humour. 

You're a nice guy, so honestly I'd have expected better from you. 😕 

It's not a question of "being offended". It doesn't matter if anyone takes offense or not. It's a question of disrespect and an influential piece of media actively supporting widespread issues in society that are already making lives miserable for certain groups of people, due to the discrimination they are facing in their daily lives - and moving further down that road when we should be working towards the opposite.
Whether I'm the target audience is irrelevant. Even if the joke was funny, it would still be detestable.

1 hour ago, Brickman said:

You could go back and forth with what abouts all day long. That’s not what happened so why bring it up?

Because it's the same god damn thing. It's one single parameter from being exactly what happened. If you gotta defend the one angle, you'd have to take the same stance on the other. And if you can't, you're gonna have to explain really damn well why you think it makes a difference.

Edited by Sumez
  • Like 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 1

26 minutes ago, Sumez said:

You're a nice guy, so honestly I'd have expected better from you. 😕 

It's not a question of "being offended". It doesn't matter if anyone takes offense or not. It's a question of disrespect and an influential piece of media actively supporting widespread issues in society that are already making lives miserable for certain groups of people, due to the discrimination they are facing in their daily lives - and moving further down that road when we should be working towards the opposite.
Whether I'm the target audience is irrelevant. Even if the joke was funny, it would still be detestable.

Because it's the same god damn thing. It's one single parameter from being exactly what happened. If you gotta defend the one angle, you'd have to take the same stance on the other. And if you can't, you're gonna have to explain really damn well why you think it makes a difference.

You’re talking about a movie from the early 90’s and trying to impose your modern ideals on it.

Comedy is subjective and allowed to push boundaries, be edgy, dumb, slapstick, offensive and the list goes on. You don’t get to dictate what people do and don’t find funny just because you find it offensive. There’s a reason why South Park is still going and still making fun of pretty much everything. 

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)
59 minutes ago, Brickman said:

You’re talking about a movie from the early 90’s and trying to impose your modern ideals on it.

My initial statement was that even watching in the mid 90s, that scene was incredibly off-putting to me.
I'd like to think that being thoughtful about what light you paint repressed groups of people in, isn't a particularly "modern" ideal. It's not like transgender people didn't exist in the 90s, and it's not like they didn't also have a fucking hard time being open about their situation at the time either. Gags like the one in question absolutely did not help their situation, and I'm shocked you'd even try to defend it.

Again, I'm not judging the quality of the comedy. Comedy is subjective, sure - discrimination of minority groups isn't.

Edited by Sumez
  • Like 1
  • Eyeroll 3

On 5/28/2024 at 6:21 AM, Sumez said:

My initial statement was that even watching in the mid 90s, that scene was incredibly off-putting to me.
I'd like to think that being thoughtful about what light you paint repressed groups of people in, isn't a particularly "modern" ideal. It's not like transgender people didn't exist in the 90s, and it's not like they didn't also have a fucking hard time being open about their situation at the time either. Gags like the one in question absolutely did not help their situation, and I'm shocked you'd even try to defend it.

Again, I'm not judging the quality of the comedy. Comedy is subjective, sure - discrimination of minority groups isn't.

I agree. It is especially egregious when viewed through a modern lens...  I think movies need to be assessed in the context of the cultural norms of the era they came from, but even reviews from the time of its release noted the mean spirited homophobia & transphobia:

1994 Variety review: “third-act payoff that takes the film’s generally inoffensive tastelessness into a particularly brutal and unpleasant stew of homophobia and misogyny.”

1994 Washington Post review: "There are some unfortunate elements that were unnecessary—a big strain of homophobic jokes for one…”

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Jim Carrey Shipping GIF by Morgan Creek

I'm not trying to be hater. the scene with him undercover as the UPS guy is still hilarious.

But I think its fair to point out that movies that punch down on marginalized groups can be unpleasant to sit through (even back then)

• Haha 2
  • Agree 2