IGNORED

The Ebay/Gamestop/Craiglist/Amazon/Goodwill/etc rant thread

Quest4Nes

17 minutes ago, TDIRunner said:

For the first time ever, we had a package delivered to the wrong house.  We received the email about the package being delivered, and the picture provided is a picture of a completely different house.  

For those of you who have had similar situations, did you contact the seller or this shipper?  I'm plan to do both, but I'm honestly not sure which would be the best one to start with.  For what it's worth, the item was purchased by my wife through Facebook, so it has me a little worried since I know that Facebook is full of scams.  The package was delivered by FedEx.  

This used to happen to me a lot when I lived in Maryland. Luckily they were always in the right neighborhood so if I saw something was delivered and it wasn’t on the porch I’d just run around the neighborhood and find my package lol

I don’t buy from Facebook shipped, only local meetup but I’d look and see if they have some kind of guarantee, though usually when it comes up delivered you are shit out of luck, but delivered to the wrong house might get you a refund. I’d contact the seller and the shipper like you said. 

edit: Facebook seems to have a purchase protection and the first bullet is you didn’t receive your item so you should be at least able to get a refund:

https://m.facebook.com/help/228307904608701

Edited by a3quit4s
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, a3quit4s said:

This used to happen to me a lot when I lived in Maryland. Luckily they were always in the right neighborhood so if I saw something was delivered and it wasn’t on the porch I’d just run around the neighborhood and find my package lol

I don’t buy from Facebook shipped, only local meetup but I’d look and see if they have some kind of guarantee, though usually when it comes up delivered you are shit out of luck, but delivered to the wrong house might get you a refund. I’d contact the seller and the shipper like you said. 

edit: Facebook seems to have a purchase protection and the first bullet is you didn’t receive your item so you should be at least able to get a refund:

https://m.facebook.com/help/228307904608701

I said it was the first time, but that isn't true.  This happened one other time, and I assumed it was probably delivered to another house on our street.  I drove around and found the house based on the delivery picture and I was able to get my package back.

However, this time is different.  I can tell from the photo, that the house was built within the past few years and my neighborhood was built in the '70s.  So, this time it's not as simple as driving around my neighborhood.  

I called FedEx, and it turns out that the tracking number provided did not have our address on it.  Unfortunately, for obvious reasons, FedEx can't give me the address that was actually used.  So that means either the seller made a mistake, or it was a scam, and they just used a legitimate tracking number to try and avoid the fraud claim.  The seller appears to be gone now from Facebook, so it's almost certainly a scam.

For the record, I would NEVER purchase anything from Facebook that would need to be shipped.  My wife purchased this and unfortunately, she just wasn't aware of how bad Facebook is for scams (Facebook makes eBay look legit).  Hopefully she can fight it through her credit card company.  

• Sad 1

36 minutes ago, TDIRunner said:

I said it was the first time, but that isn't true.  This happened one other time, and I assumed it was probably delivered to another house on our street.  I drove around and found the house based on the delivery picture and I was able to get my package back.

However, this time is different.  I can tell from the photo, that the house was built within the past few years and my neighborhood was built in the '70s.  So, this time it's not as simple as driving around my neighborhood.  

I called FedEx, and it turns out that the tracking number provided did not have our address on it.  Unfortunately, for obvious reasons, FedEx can't give me the address that was actually used.  So that means either the seller made a mistake, or it was a scam, and they just used a legitimate tracking number to try and avoid the fraud claim.  The seller appears to be gone now from Facebook, so it's almost certainly a scam.

For the record, I would NEVER purchase anything from Facebook that would need to be shipped.  My wife purchased this and unfortunately, she just wasn't aware of how bad Facebook is for scams (Facebook makes eBay look legit).  Hopefully she can fight it through her credit card company.  

You should be able to contact Facebook directly on this. If you go to activity on marketplace and find the order and choose get help with this order. Scam or no scam you paid for an item you didn’t get, plain and simple. As long as she used the marketplace checkout you should be entitled to a refund

https://m.facebook.com/help/390433814792564/?helpref=faq_content

“How to Contact Facebook Support”

• Like 1

On 9/22/2023 at 10:24 AM, TDIRunner said:

For the first time ever, we had a package delivered to the wrong house.  We received the email about the package being delivered, and the picture provided is a picture of a completely different house.  

For those of you who have had similar situations, did you contact the seller or this shipper?  I'm plan to do both, but I'm honestly not sure which would be the best one to start with.  For what it's worth, the item was purchased by my wife through Facebook, so it has me a little worried since I know that Facebook is full of scams.  The package was delivered by FedEx.  

I'd call FedEx. I assume it was sent insured, so they need to take care of it.

4 hours ago, avatar! said:

I'd call FedEx. I assume it was sent insured, so they need to take care of it.

I mentioned in a previous post that the package was delivered to the address on the shipping label.  In other words, the tracking number provided to us was not for our address.  Therefore, there is nothing that FedEx could do.  I had my wife file a claim through Facebook.  I'll have to check where she is at with it.  

15 hours ago, TDIRunner said:

I mentioned in a previous post that the package was delivered to the address on the shipping label.  In other words, the tracking number provided to us was not for our address.  Therefore, there is nothing that FedEx could do.  I had my wife file a claim through Facebook.  I'll have to check where she is at with it.  

Ah, gotcha. So I take it the shipper messed-up and therefore it's their responsibility. I know how much of a headache this can be, especially if it's something valuable which I'm guessing it is...

1 hour ago, avatar! said:

Ah, gotcha. So I take it the shipper messed-up and therefore it's their responsibility. I know how much of a headache this can be, especially if it's something valuable which I'm guessing it is...

Either the seller made a mistake, or they scammed my wife by providing a valid tracking number from some other order.  Either way, she should be able to fight it and get her money back which fortunately is only $20.  

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Just saw something that the IRS is holding off on the $600 threshold for another year and may do a $5000 cutoff in 2025 before dropping lower to “ease” people into it. 

My guess is they see what’s happening with the shitshow that is the student loans starting back up and can see the writing on the wall that sending out an additional 40million tax forms (a random estimate I read) would cripple their ability to handle things and really clog up the works

• Love 3

1 hour ago, LeatherRebel5150 said:

Just saw something that the IRS is holding off on the $600 threshold for another year and may do a $5000 cutoff in 2025 before dropping lower to “ease” people into it. 

My guess is they see what’s happening with the shitshow that is the student loans starting back up and can see the writing on the wall that sending out an additional 40million tax forms (a random estimate I read) would cripple their ability to handle things and really clog up the works

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-announces-delay-in-form-1099-k-reporting-threshold-for-third-party-platform-payments-in-2023-plans-for-a-threshold-of-5000-for-2024-to-phase-in-implementation

Woohoo!

• Like 1

This is odd - Amazon had dropped the price of Xenoblade 3 to $40 for Black Friday,  I put it in my cart and when I tried to pay for it I got a message that said they couldn't deliver to my address,  Which is odd - I order stuff from Amazon all the time and they deliver it. They did give me a link with a fairly lengthy list of possible reasons  why  - none of which seemed to apply.   How about instead of a list you just tell me exactly why???

So I ordered it from Target for the same price.

• Agree 1

I saw that tax thing, popped up by sheer luck when I was looking at a news site on my phone.  Within a day I dusted off my ebay account.

I've got a few smalls for myself, but my wife wasted a G on an ipad pro 12.9 on accident(sorta) because she did all this research for photo editing choices and when she did the Adobe was on board, shortly after, they decided to age out anything under a M2 where you can edit more than one photo at a time which ruined her use of the thing before she even got started to do it.  It ended up largely sitting for youtube a little but mostly in the box.  Replaced it with an apple laptop which has the M2 and otherwise largely the same, can do what she wanted, but now the tablet has to go and fast since it'll eat into a year of monthly payments we don't want to float. 😕  I hope someone bites, 256GB storage, space gray, has solid extras of an apple pencil and otterbox case etc.  I put it at a level where I think it'll move hopefully sooner than later and to cover most the loss.

Ok, not exactly a rant, but since we're all frustrated with high prices and fess everywhere, I'll ask.  When you want to sell stuff and and ship it, what's the best payment processor?  More specifically, which is the easiest and cheapest to use.

I'm a long time Paypal user but I swear they limit how many times a person can use FF.  I've never used the other common ones like Zelle and Venmo.  Are there others?

I'm sitting on a pile of stuff and I may lot it all and throw it on eBay, but if I can manage fees and just sell stuff as people desire through Reddit, here and other forums, I'd rather do that but do it as cheap as possible.

@RH Are you abusing FF I've never hit any limit with it, but I don't go even average sales (or nuts) with it either.

Paypal is Venmo so if that's the issue, use venmo as they're linked.  Zelle my mom used to send us stuff through our bank, was fast and idiot button easy.

I'd be curious about this perceived hoard.  I don't buy a lot of games anymore, but if it were the right non-game but gaming related item, anime related, ???

3 hours ago, Tanooki said:

@RH Are you abusing FF I've never hit any limit with it, but I don't go even average sales (or nuts) with it either.

Paypal is Venmo so if that's the issue, use venmo as they're linked.  Zelle my mom used to send us stuff through our bank, was fast and idiot button easy.

I'd be curious about this perceived hoard.  I don't buy a lot of games anymore, but if it were the right non-game but gaming related item, anime related, ???

Some of it's non-game related stuff but 95% of it is doubles, games in conditions that I don't like and a ton of manuals I don't need.  Not many are top-shelf manuals, but a few are.

Regarding abusing FF, that's the weird thing.  I never require it, but I will offer a buyer that if they use it, I'll throw in some bonus.  However, I've often used FF, even when the seller hasn't asked for it, around here and other places where I know the seller.  I use PP maybe 2-3 times a month and probably 75% of those purchases are merchants, so FF isn't an option.  All I know is the last time I tried to use it, it was gone.  In that case, I made a trade but I was giving the guy just a few extra bucks because it was more expensive.  FF was not an option for me.

@RH That is really weird I never had that happen, but I don't use FF much maybe once a month.  I have a friend a vet about half my age who I have helped along in various ways, gaming too, and he likes to PP me $ FF when I end up finding something for him when I'm out, have an item he wants to buy off me, etc.

Either way try venmo, same company, I don't think it would be an issue.  Id split the payments between PP for legit and FF on the Venmo side so it doesn't gum up stuff.

I don't go after cherry items anymore, especially paper, I can deal with some wear stickers on games too if I can improve them enough to deal.  If/when you get around to posting things I'll take a look.

• 3 months later...

There's a 2nd and Charles near me that's closing soon. I almost never go there because it's too overpriced and disorganized. However, the giant "Store Closing Sale! Everything Must Go!!" signs in the windows persuaded me to check it out again...  some highlights

2nda.jpg.c63783a69c8b09dcf97c39e57ea5e54f.jpg

this Mario/Duck Hunt manual with a giant price sticker directly on it.

2ndb.jpg.78ca320c0bd8422b047bc842bafcd8e9.jpg

This Parker Bros cart with absolutely no label on it for 6.95.... I'm sure it's a Mr. Do's Castle and this is a great deal. It was sitting next to a stack of 8 combat cartridges with price stickers ranging 4.95 to 8.95.

It's out of focus, but behind it was Lee Trevino's Fighting Golf [cart only]... they were asking $15...

2ndc.jpg.dd16be667bd0e433865adb88b45602f3.jpg 

This Castle Panic Deluxe Collection... It was a recent kickstarter that shipped to backers last year. Retailer pledge level was $100... nice x5 markup.

Edited by G-type

Editorials Team · Posted

Me walking into GameStop the other day:

Clerk: "Hello, did you see that Final Fantasy VII Rebirth has been released?  We still have copies in stock if you haven't picked it up yet "

Me: "Oh, yeah.  I still haven't touched my copy of Remake yet, but someday."

Clerk: "Well, Rebirth is the perfect starting point if you haven't jumped in yet."

Me: "Uh.... okay.  Thanks."

• Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...
5 hours ago, LeatherRebel5150 said:

Something been going on with the usps in my area lately. Ive had maybe 2 packages from ebay go missing in 10yrs. Then all off a sudden Ive had 3 disappear this month. It’s maddening 

I have been seeing delays in package arrivals this month as well. Especially from the west coast to east coast. Has the tracking numbers on those 3 packages been updated within 7 days?

3 hours ago, Bonanza125 said:

I have been seeing delays in package arrivals this month as well. Especially from the west coast to east coast. Has the tracking numbers on those 3 packages been updated within 7 days?

They all reach the major hub in my state and then just get the “in transit to next facility.” One last updated the 15, the other the 17th and one I got refunded already 

Another problem I recently saw was an item was marked as “Out for Delivey” and it was like that for 3 days, supposedly at my local PO.  Another time it was marked as delivered and didn’t show up for an another 2 days. I have no clue why this happens.