IGNORED

Just got a Nintendo Switch. What do i do now????

JVOSS

as for PS1 i never owned one but played one a few times.

as for ps2 only played pac-man fever only requires 2 buttons to play.😁

as for systems i have a few ds games (roms 2000).

and the xbox360 just collected dust. and now cant get the thing to open the drink tray (the thing my coke can sat on)

Sonic Mania looks just like the old school Sonic games and is damn well a top three platformer of this generation.

Collection of Mana gives you a GameBoy action RPG and two SNES action RPGs.

The remake of Link’s Awakening is a great choice.

If you liked the DK Country games, you can’t go wrong with Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze.

There are a metric boat load of old arcade games on the system. When you’re in the eshop, type in either “Sega Ages” or “arcade” (I don’t think the Sega games show up under arcade exclusively but they might) and you’ll find a plethora of them. There’s also a Namco Museum game and an Atari collection.

If you subscribe to the Nintendo online service, you’ll have access to a ton of NES and SNES games as well as Mario 35.

• Like 1

Tetris 99 and Super Mario 35 to start with.  Breath of the Wild is good...but you can also get Skyrim for Switch, which BOTW seems to take after and is richer in detail than BOTW.

Super Mario Odyssey is a must...best 3D Mario I have ever played.

Edited by Sumer
  • Like 1

@Sumer Tetris 99 was an almost buy but we wanted to start with something easy so we chose Game Night for Nintendo Switch (family game).  how ever we are awaiting for a screen cover before placing into service...

also picked up

Friday The 13th: Game Ultimate Slasher Edition (wife's game)
Rayman legends definitive edition (my tester game)
Wheel of Fortune & Jeopardy! (wife's game)

• Like 1

I second Octopath Traveler. Check it out. Axiom Verge is great too. A must play, in my opinion.

Dragon Quest Builders 1 & 2 might be your style, possibly.

For a racing game, I am enjoying Horizon Chase. There are also a lot of N64 ports like Turok and Doom 64 can still be pre-ordered at limitedrungames.com. What else... You might like Yoshi's Crafted World. It has amazing visuals and is a great casual platform. There's also Mario Odyssey, which is great.

Collection of Mana is fun, and there's also Collection of Legends which is all of the Final Fantasy Legend games for GB. The latter is only a download game though. There's a bunch of other stuff too. What games, specifically, are your favorites of all times?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JVOSS said:

like i said what do i do with the switch???  it like getting a new tesla and not knowing how to start it. 

Well...if it were any other console, you simply plug the AC Adapter and the cable that connects it to your TV/monitor to the back of it...you plug the other end of that cable cable (nowadays HDMI but older consoles may have used red/white/S-video or red/white/yellow or (gasp) RF switch) to your TV/monitor , and you plug the AC Adapter in and you should be good to go...right?

Maybe it's like the Nintendo Entertainment System...your parents should help you hook it up 😄   But keep in mind the Legend of Zelda (BOTW) is sold separately!  But WOOOOAH does it have nice graphics!! 😄 

Edited by Estil

1 minute ago, Estil said:

Well...if it were any other console, you simply plug the AC Adapter and the cable that connects it to your TV/monitor to the back of it...you plug the cable (nowadays HDMI but older consoles may have used red/white/S-video or red/white/yellow or (gasp) RF switch), and you plug it in and you should be good to go...right?

I know it took a college degree from KU🙀 to get this hooked up.  but KSU🥳 is still the best...👿

2 hours ago, JVOSS said:

i was just being silly with 400 but there is for real 100 hour games?? damnnn

Yep; you can easily go over that much in DQ7 and DQ11.  And I get FF12 as well...

Hey if you're gonna spend good money on a game (preferably one of the great blue chip ones) you should get your money's worth should you not?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Estil said:

Yep; you can easily go over that much in DQ7 and DQ11.  And I get FF12 as well...

Hey if you're gonna spend good money on a game (preferably one of the great blue chip ones) you should get your money's worth should you not?

This is why I can't understand why people will throw hundreds of dollars a month at gachas.  Also, this is why I STOPPED playing gachas and decided to start collecting games again.

But seriously, if I can't potentially get 50+ hours out of a game, it's not worth the retail sticker price.  If it's a cheap game ($20-30) I'll hope to get 25-40 out of it, minimum.  Even if I don't play it that much, that's the hope.

• Like 1

Just now, RH said:

This is why I can't understand why people will throw hundreds of dollars a month at gachas.  Also, this is why I STOPPED playing gachas and decided to start collecting games again.

But seriously, if I can't potentially get 50+ hours out of a game, it's not worth the retail sticker price.  If it's a cheap game ($20-30) I'll hope to get 25-40 out of it, minimum.  Even if I don't play it that much, that's the hope.

What the heck is a "gacha"?  Is that at all like a "gotcha!" sort of microtransaction or something? 😛 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Estil said:

What the heck is a "gacha"?  Is that at all like a "gotcha!" sort of microtransaction or something? 😛 

I think "gacha" is Japanese for something but, yes, it's those RPG-style games that have loot boxes, often of "pieces" that you use to assemble characters/armor/upgrades.  Some of them can be fun, and I will play them from time to time, and before I was collecting, I'd be willing to spend about $25 a month on them because I'm gainfully employed and $25 a month isn't that much.  But, eventually the impermanence of it all wore me down and I gave it up and decided to go back to my first love of collecting.  I never looked back.

And yes, it is ironic that "gacha" sounds like "gotcha" because they are basically legalized gambling games and some people, especially in Japan, will drop thousands a month on these games.  In fact, on some of the biggest games, the top-tier players will drop over 10k to max out their party when new characters and armor arrives.  I've seen this, and that's exactly what was going on when Nintendo released their Fire Emblem gacha.  People were maxing out their teams with the best character, with maxed/perfect stats.  (The character was "legendary" and there were random stats, so they were pulling a LOT until they got the perfect stats.)  I ran the numbers after bumping into a few of those players.  They had to spend about $5000-6000 the first couple of weeks to pull teams like that.  And that was when the game had just kicked off and people had figured out the proper mechanics.  Insane.

• Like 1