Jump to content
IGNORED

Is Jump Man Mario?


Deadeye
 Share

Is Jump Man Mario?  

30 members have voted

  1. 1. Is Jump Man Mario?



Recommended Posts

I once heard a fan theory that Jump Man is actually Mario and Luigi's Dad and Pauline is their Mom.  I'm sure there are things out there that contradict this, but I still always liked that fan theory.  

 

EDIT:  Just realized that this is a choice in the poll.  Nice.  

Edited by TDIRunner
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, TDIRunner said:

I once heard a fan theory that Jump Man is actually Mario and Luigi's Dad and Pauline is their Mom.  I'm sure there are things out there that contradict this, but I still always liked that fan theory.  

 

EDIT:  Just realized that this is a choice in the poll.  Nice.  

I like that theory too, although Mario doesn’t exactly address Pauline as his mother in Odyssey.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, The Strangest said:

I like that theory too, although Mario doesn’t exactly address Pauline as his mother in Odyssey.

I was thinking about that very thing just now, but oh well.  It really doesn't matter to me.  Maybe they aren't very close. 😛

EDIT:  He also doesn't address her as any type of love interest.  

Edited by TDIRunner
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, arch_8ngel said:

To go along with this, is Mario named as the main character in Wrecking Crew?

I'm wondering that as well as I always considered the "Mario" from Wrecking Crew to be the same Jump Man from Donkey Kong in that he is more of a carpenter/construction worker while Mario is usually a Plumber, which is another reason why I think Jump Man is his Dad (and yes, I'm ignoring Mario's other jobs such as a Doctor of questionable integrity.  

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, TDIRunner said:

I'm wondering that as well as I always considered the "Mario" from Wrecking Crew to be the same Jump Man from Donkey Kong in that he is more of a carpenter/construction worker while Mario is usually a Plumber, which is another reason why I think Jump Man is his Dad (and yes, I'm ignoring Mario's other jobs such as a Doctor of questionable integrity.  

Mario is just the Forrest Gump of Video Game Land -- he has all the jobs, and somehow manages to excel at all of them, with no real rhyme or reason behind his competence 😛

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, ZeldaFan042 said:

Is there any evidence or argument that they would be two different characters? 

The OG Donkey Kong is Cranky Kong from the arcade game, modern DK's dad is DK Jr., and DK from DKC onwards is Donkey Kong III. I guess the theory could be that Jumpman Mario was rivals with Cranky Kong and a newer, younger Mario hangs out with and races karts with Donkey Kong III.

I think there's just one Mario though. Mario is Donkey Kong Jr.'s age. Cranky is older than him, DK is younger than him.

Edited by DefaultGen
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Jump man was the name they used for Mario when the original DK arcade was released. By the time that had come out they had already decided they wanted him to be called Mario, but the promotional materials had already been published. Everything after DK arcade (DK Atari, DK Jr., etc) calls him Mario. 

Pauline is Mario’s girlfriend. There is no canon. Nintendo didn’t put much thought into making a coherent storyline in terms of the relationships of characters. Same goes for DK Country which Nintendo granted creative freedom to Rare with regard to developing the story. Anything that suggests otherwise is an afterthought.

Miyamoto himself said he thinks of Mario like Popeye. Every episode, they reshuffle the roles of the entire cast of characters. Usually Popeye and Bluto are adversaries, sometimes they’re friends, sometimes they work together in various professions, sometimes olive is Popeye’s girlfriend, sometimes she’s Bluto’s girlfriend. There’s no cohesive storyline, they adapt the cast of characters as needed for every episode.

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, TDIRunner said:

For the record, it's possible for Jump Man's actual name to be Mario and still be Mario's Dad.  I personally know a father/son both named Mario.    

Dammit... So you're telling me after all this time "Super Mario" is actually Mario Jr.? 

And that Mario Sr. was actually beefing with DK Sr. AND DK Jr.?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, phart010 said:

There’s no cohesive storyline, they adapt the cast of characters as needed for every episode.

I cannot accept this. Mario is an amateur kart racing champion as well as a super athlete who's canonically been to the Olympics 6 times. He has also been present at historical events on Earth via time machine including the signing of the Declaration of Independence, which he returned to the founding fathers, and Paris 1885 where CANONICALLY Mario helped Louis Pasteur create the rabies vaccine when Bowser tried to intervene.

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, DefaultGen said:

I cannot accept this. Mario is an amateur kart racing champion as well as a super athlete who's canonically been to the Olympics 6 times. He has also been present at historical events on Earth via time machine including the signing of the Declaration of Independence, which he returned to the founding fathers, and Paris 1885 where CANONICALLY Mario helped Louis Pasteur create the rabies vaccine when Bowser tried to intervene.

All while keeping his various girlfriends in the dark about each others existence 🤣

These hearts ♥️ mean more than just friendship

2BD199B4-0468-4BAA-A00B-D5B8424A9B1E.thumb.png.5c92ba922829bfceeedea543488029e0.png

F8EE8893-9E93-45C0-843B-E66673AA06BE.thumb.png.ff5c30bbbf5f30db87b6ac6b9871bdd9.png

1870B06F-E823-47DC-8ED5-2B427A4356C8.thumb.png.7664f8df1674b7d73116639b7e106867.png

Edited by phart010
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Jumpman must be Mario because Mario's family tree is so accounted for. In Nintendo Power 7 there's a picture of "GPoppy" clearing wearing yellow clothes

rOitWwO.png

In Nintendo Comics System, we can see Mario's dad also wears a yellow shirt

VIxmQy1.png

Also in the Super Mario Issun-bōshi, Mario's Dad wears yellow.

3TYSBQN.png

Unless Papa Mario changed his clothes color preference (which is extremely rare in the Mushroom Kingdom), Mario Mario is Jumpman.

  • Like 4
  • Wow! 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...