IGNORED

The Nintendo DS lovers thread

I don't know if a thread like this already exists. If it does, forgive me and lock this up. If not, this is a place for DS fans to talk about anything DS related. Favorite games, hidden gems, what you're currently playing, etc. 

I'll start with that I have quite the huge backlog of other games but really want to replay dragon quest heroes rocket slime. Also maybe start Solatorobo for the first time as that game looks fun and pretty different from a lot of other games. I hear ghost trick is great too but sadly I still don't own a copy of that. One of the few DS games I don't own yet that I want. 

Edited by Makar
  • Like 2

Editorials Team · Posted

No one has mentioned Drone Tactics in like 3 days, so I'll get that obligatory shout out...er, out of the way.

Henry Hatsworth - action platformer with Tetris Attack elements

Diddy Kong Racing - port of the N64 game

Bangai-Oh - one of the last Treasure games made that was worth a shit

Theresia - mix of horror, FPS, and point-and-click elements

Scurge - isometric Metroid

Picross DS - the best Picross option across any platform, dammit

Order of Ecclesia - probably the most divergent of the endless SotN clones, shaking things up for the better

Etrian Odyssey III - one of the few elite Atlus games that didn't get remade for 3DS

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

My experience with the DS is extremely limited but what I have played has been great.  It feels like a portable SNES in a way.  I know the GBA may have been closer hardware wise but the games seem better with DS.  Refined RPGs are what I am looking forward to digging into.  Plus there are some great platformers and action games. Castlevania, Contra, etc.

• Like 2

I really enjoyed SM64 DS. I thought it was a good upgrade to include the additional characters, stars and mini game. If you wrote it off because who hasn't played the OG version, I recommend picking up a cheap copy and giving it a go. The controls are a little wierd at first if you are use to the 64 controller, but it didn't take me to long to adjust to the difference. I think I 100%ed that one too, and that says a lot coming from a guy who's probably finished 5% of all the games he's sat down to play, including the one's he's loved.

I also recommend giving Moon a try if you can get a cheap copy. A bit repetitive but it had amazing atmosphere.

Edited by RH
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Reed Rothchild said:

No one has mentioned Drone Tactics in like 3 days, so I'll get that obligatory shout out...er, out of the way.

Henry Hatsworth - action platformer with Tetris Attack elements

Diddy Kong Racing - port of the N64 game

Bangai-Oh - one of the last Treasure games made that was worth a shit

Theresia - mix of horror, FPS, and point-and-click elements

Scurge - isometric Metroid

Picross DS - the best Picross option across any platform, dammit

Order of Ecclesia - probably the most divergent of the endless SotN clones, shaking things up for the better

Etrian Odyssey III - one of the few elite Atlus games that didn't get remade for 3DS

Lol surely I don't mention drone tactics thatttttt much

• Haha 1

A bit over a year ago a dumb luck find got me back into the DS after getting rid of it when the 3DS came out.  Ever since not hard core in the least bit, but more casually I've put the effort into trying to nearly completely buying games for it locally to make it a bit more fun, manageable, and a mystery.  There have been a select few I just wanted back in my hands, but the luck has been fairly good so it wasn't a need. 😄  I forgot just how good that handheld was compared to the 3DS which kind of like a pair of book ends fizzled up front, and in the last years of its life too.  DS was a long run constant of pretty good to excellent stuff, pushing amazing limits within the 2D space, but also some remarkably solid 3D N64/PS1ish experiences too.  It's a nice double screen beefy compliment to the GBA that kept that fine legacy going.

If we're going to mention the road less traveled/gem stuff beyond just first party obviousness I'd suggest looking at: Dragon Quest Rocket Slime(need this back), Chibi Robo(sadly a Walmart exclusive), Dragon Quest 9(first one to lose the random battles), Final Fantasy III, Brothers in Arms, Civilization Revolution, Sim City Creator, and Dementium come to mind as some.

Nintendo published them but it's CING who did it, Trace Memory and Hotel Dusk I'd highly suggest.

This is first party but outside the US.

And if you want a truly bizarre first party release both Japan and Europe/PAL areas got we stupidly got left in the dust with -- Learn with Pokemon Typing Adventure.  An entire mavis beacon style typing game that comes with a bluetooth Nintendo branded keyboard that works great with PC, ios, android devices too.  Basically type to catch, research, etc pokemon, just get the euro version so you have english as a choice.  Amazon US has it (or did), and far cheaper than the troll values on ebay.

23 hours ago, Reed Rothchild said:

22 hours ago, Makar said:

Lol surely I don't mention drone tactics thatttttt much

I personally feel that Dragon Quest Rocket Slime is the obligatory game that every DS fan brings up as a hidden gem when the opportunity arises.

Just messing with you, Makar. 😉

The game that I always bring up is Orcs & Elves. It’s a first person dungeon crawler and last I checked it’s still dirt cheap. I also appreciate the history behind it: it was once a genuinely good cellphone game and the creator wanted to immortalize it.

Another game I’ve been playing and enjoying lately is Legend of Kage 2. It’s a sequel to the NES game, obviously. And I’m a sucker for ninja games. Obviously.

Edited by The Strangest
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, The Strangest said:

I personally feel that Dragon Quest Rocket Slime is the obligatory game that every DS fan brings up as a hidden gem when the opportunity arises.

Just messing with you, Makar. 😉

The game that I always bring up is Orcs & Elves. It’s a first person dungeon crawler and last I checked it’s still dirt cheap. I also appreciate the history behind it: it was once a genuinely good cellphone game and the creator wanted to immortalize it.

Another game I’ve been playing and enjoying lately is Legend of Kage 2. It’s a sequel to the NES game, obviously. And I’m a sucker for ninja games. Obviously.

Haha well hey it's a really fun game! And very different too. What other game do you have tank battles against each other with all sorts of weapons you create and then you go infiltrate the other person's tank?? Dragon quest monsters joker is another one I always bring up as it's hands down my favorite DS game. 

I haven't played the 2 you mentioned. Legend of kage 2 has always been one I've been on the fence about.

2 hours ago, drxandy said:

I didn't get into Ds until after it's lifespan, but there are just so many dang good games for it!!

So many more I wanna add to the collection but here's my favorite stuff

20200724_172552.thumb.jpg.f66517cd8fdd0b41340209973d77e582.jpg

20200724_172709.thumb.jpg.ee163c681da997ba631e5d1f42070b53.jpg

Very nice collection you have there good sir!! Where's advance wars dual strike though?? I see you have the 2nd one. You have fire emblem and advance wars days of ruin, so might I suggest another tactics game? I'll give you a hint, it rhymes with zone smactics and totally hasn't already been mentioned in this thread. 

If you like Pokemon, I always recommend checking out Digimon World DS, Digimon World Dawn, Digimon World Dusk, and dragon quest monsters joker 1 and 2.

Oh and Tingles Rosy Rupeeland is a must for any Zelda lover. Yes, a game starring the loveable Tingle. It's actually a really solid game.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, drxandy said:

I've been trying to get as many locally as possible but its died down round here. I do have tingle, the Japanese version. 

20200724_210747.thumb.jpg.72523c9feff0c8d3713d30da3e9a7ec6.jpg

Here's a few stylus as well - love the feather packaged in a rupee hehe

20200724_211033.thumb.jpg.166d06cf65bfa8440bc99dffe96939fa.jpg

Ah so that's what one of your Japanese games is nice!! And yes I've always loved that cool rupee holder. Don't have one myself but it is awesome. Looks like you have a bunch of DS games behind DS games?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, zeppelin03 said:

Which version of the handheld is people's go to? I've seen the DSi XL is well liked.  I'm considering picking on up to avoid scaling issues on 3ds.

I never owned that one. If you want to play GBA and DS games, I recommend the original DS Phat version. I found that the DS lite's hinges break pretty easily and don't last too long. The DS Phat's hinges will break too eventually, but that will take probably 3-4 times as long. My original DS Phat lasted 5 years of heavy use, whereas all my friends' DS lites broke within a year.

Edited by Makar
  • Like 1

Editorials Team · Posted
3 hours ago, zeppelin03 said:

Which version of the handheld is people's go to? I've seen the DSi XL is well liked.  I'm considering picking on up to avoid scaling issues on 3ds.

I had a DL Lite for years.  After my kid threw it in the bathtub I just use my 3DS

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, zeppelin03 said:

Oh boy. I used to have a guide to this. 

The DSi XL is definitely my favorite for DS games. The large factor is a big plus for me. Love the big screens. Some people don't like it because at that size you can see the pixels, some games look blocky, so they prefer the DSi or DS Lite. I love the DS Lite for GBA games and games that use the slot 2 for accessories. Either one of those is my go to, but I also have a backlit GBA, AGS 101 GBA SP, and a "new" 3DS as my other options. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, zeppelin03 said:

DS Lite is my favorite. Has there even been a bigger leap in hardware quality like the one from DS to DS Lite?

7 hours ago, zeppelin03 said:

If you hold start and select on the 3ds, it will launch DS games on their native resolution on both screens. Similarly for every handheld game on the VC regardless of screen size.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, MiamiSlice said:

Oh boy. I used to have a guide to this. 

The DSi XL is definitely my favorite for DS games. The large factor is a big plus for me. Love the big screens. Some people don't like it because at that size you can see the pixels, some games look blocky, so they prefer the DSi or DS Lite. I love the DS Lite for GBA games and games that use the slot 2 for accessories. Either one of those is my go to, but I also have a backlit GBA, AGS 101 GBA SP, and a "new" 3DS as my other options. 

Your setup sounds like ours. We have a backlit GBA, SP, MiSTer for TV, modded New 3DS.  I don't mind adding more for the right look.  Sometimes the image just doesn't look right. FireRed on 3ds vs GBA was a recent example.