IGNORED

The Nintendo DS lovers thread

57 minutes ago, ChickenTendas said:

How dare he not pay the ds the respect it deserves 🤣

Maybe he still loves it but likes 3DS games more than GBA games. That or he just said eff you dad and chucked it in.

Edit: anyone have any similar horror stories? Like imagine a kid chucking a NWC cart into the tub.

Edited by Makar

52 minutes ago, RegularGuyGamer said:

If you hold start and select on the 3ds, it will launch DS games on their native resolution on both screens. Similarly for every handheld game on the VC regardless of screen size.

Did not know this. Thanks! Well now it comes down to do you like the 3DS or GBA library better @zeppelin03

Editorials Team · Posted
1 hour ago, Makar said:

Nice stuff @Reed Rothchild! RIP your DS lite. Pretty funny but man that does suck. 

What's card fighter like? That's another one I don't have but have always been curious about.

Haven't played it yet.  Came close a few times.

DS stuff I have yet to play: Miles Edgeworth, Card Fighters, Dark Spire (new from the box train), Elebits, Heroes of Light, Fossil Fighters, Infinite Space, Starsign, Metroid Pinball, Ontamarama, Spectral, Tokyo, World Ends

3 hours ago, Reed Rothchild said:

Haven't played it yet.  Came close a few times.

DS stuff I have yet to play: Miles Edgeworth, Card Fighters, Dark Spire (new from the box train), Elebits, Heroes of Light, Fossil Fighters, Infinite Space, Starsign, Metroid Pinball, Ontamarama, Spectral, Tokyo, World Ends

Gotcha. I hope it's similar to Yu-Gi-Oh. Probably not as complex but if done well, I'm sure it's fun. 

Man my list is way too long. Here's some of it for what I still need to play: 

Avalon code, black sigil, suikoden tierkreis, final fantasy tactics A2, Valkyrie profile, sands of destruction, scurge hive, Solatorobo, knights in the nightmare, leavaeithin tactics, front mission, super robot taisen og saga, infinite space, dokapon journey, zombie bbq, elebits, dragon quest v, vi, and ix, radiant historia, (still need to finish Chrono trigger), fighting fantasy, rondo of swords, izuna 1 and 2, luminous arc 1 and 2, etrian Odyssey 1-3, blue dragon plus, blue dragon awakened shadow, monster rancher, fire emblem shadow dragon, advance wars days of ruin, magicians quest, summon night twin age, phantasy star, and (ghost trick if I ever get a copy). 

If anyone has played some of these games and found they're complete garbage, please tell me so I don't have to waste my time. Boy do I have quite the backlog yikes.

Some DS games I like:

The World Ends With You has one of my favorite RPG battle systems of all time.

Both WarioWare games are pretty good.  Touched has better minigames, while DIY allows you to make your own minigames.

Star Fox Command really surprised me.  I wasn't expecting to like it because of the touch controls, but I think they work really well.

Elite Beat Agents and the Osu Tatakae Oendan games are among my favorite rhythm games.

Chronos Twins is my vote for most underappreciated DS game.  It's an action/platformer where you control two characters at the same time.  Only Europe got a physical release, but it eventually became a DSi downloadable in the US.

Picross 3D also seems underappreciated to me.  I had more fun with it than any of the regular Picross games.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, zeppelin03 said:

Which version of the handheld is people's go to? I've seen the DSi XL is well liked.  I'm considering picking on up to avoid scaling issues on 3ds.

I've had all the versions, but for me personally nothing beats the DS Lite.  Sure the screen is like an inch smaller, but the trade off isn't worth it.  DS Lite was the last to allow slot 2 usage(GBA cart) so that allowed for all the GBA library, the Rumble Pak that came with Metroid Prime Pinball, the spinner for Arkanoid DS, and a few other choice gems too(some JP only.)  The screen quality on the Lite isn't washed like the original, but it never improved after either.  The XL's and DSi may have size and now useless internet access with a bit more hardware power, but it's mostly untapped pointless stuff (and DSi had like no noteworthy physical games to buy worth a damn at all.)

I'm actually up +1 DS games during the week.  Wife decided to stop dust collecting her 3DSXL she had, and being a puzzle fan of that style, she had Picross DS.  I gave her $5 to save her the ebay stupidity.  I forgot it was my game I gave to her when I was fed up with it years ago as it had what I unlocked and my name on it still, but I hard reset it anyway.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ChickenTendas said:

The 3ds can play gba games natively.

True with injection. I was thinking not with any custom firmware or workarounds, just what comes with the system that anyone can do. You can always emulate stuff too if you want to go that route. I guess I'm more old school and don't like messing with my game systems. 

2 minutes ago, ChickenTendas said:

I believe you can softmod, inject gba games, and erase cfw. Then you have a stock 3ds with gba games natively. Basically 3ds>ds. I honestly think the 3ds might be the greatest handheld ever made in terms of game library.

Edit: The vita is awesome too. I expect it to go up in price once people realize that it can natively play ps1 and psp

If you count the 3DS as having the DS and GBA too, then yes I agree. If you break down each handheld individually for just their library of games, DS wins for me with the 3DS after that, then GBA. I remember making a list once of good games on the DS that I've played, and it was over 50 games. I think 3DS was around like 30 or so.

13 minutes ago, ChickenTendas said:

I believe you can softmod, inject gba games, and erase cfw. Then you have a stock 3ds with gba games natively. Basically 3ds>ds. I honestly think the 3ds might be the greatest handheld ever made in terms of game library.

I'm with you on this one. The best thing about 3ds is that it isn't emulating the older handhelds, it's playing them natively. The 3DS has the DS processor as well which includes the GBA processor so any time you play GB, GBC, GBA, on a 3DS you're not emulating the those games!

The DS & 3DS are like the Gameboy family. They go hand on hand. The 3DS picks up where the DS lacked which is 3D graphics. There are about a handful, of less, games of the DS that pull off 3D in any acceptable capacity so having that upgrade on hardware for those games to be made into handheld titles is huge.

In a bubble, the DS may have a more memorable library of games but outside of that bubble, the 3DS is the clear winner. And add to that the IPS screens that are possible in the *new* models makes viewing that much better.