IGNORED

American Politics / Current Events Thread

CodysGameRoom

18 minutes ago, MrWunderful said:

That sucks. 

City ordinance?

Yeah, I'm checking with the city to see what rules exist around flagpoles themselves -- I am suspicious theirs might be too close to the street and I could force them to move it -- at least give them some inconvenience for their racism.

But the flag itself is probably permissible, since the city code rules about "signs" exclude flags of essentially all "non-commercial" entities.

I'm also considering attempting a casual conversation with the neighbor where I say "hey, just thought you might like to know that your anit-BLM flag is actually a formalized group of NeoNazis that have existed since 2015"

Maybe they don't fully appreciate the line they're crossing.

(that flag has been a gradual escalation from a Trump/Pence flag to a Confederate Flag to a "Blue Lives Matter" flag -- to the current neo nazi White LIves Matter flag)

Edited by arch_8ngel
  • Like 1

Events Team · Posted
40 minutes ago, arch_8ngel said:

If it was going to toe the line that close to violence, anyway, I'd just muster a posse and run the guy out on a rail the old fashioned way 😛

I mean hey, you asked for solutions, and fire would certainly be a very quick and easy one, haha

2 hours ago, arch_8ngel said:

Anyone have suggestions on how to get rid of a neighbor's prominent "White Lives Matter" flag?

I'm sure a viral post on social media will ensure some enterprising young individual will clandestinely remove the flag.

Or chop their flagpole down.

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, Tulpa said:

I'm sure a viral post on social media will ensure some enterprising young individual will clandestinely remove the flag.

Or chop their flagpole down.

It would be a pretty enterprising individual to fell a metal flagpole in a residential area.

EDIT:  my initial reply from the city is that anything taller than 14 feet required a permit and should have had other restrictions as well.

Trying to ascertain what those restrictions are, and whether this asshole ever had one in the first place.

Edited by arch_8ngel

So that most recent stimmy just paid off 40% of my outstanding debt, all that remains is a very manageable student loan and the remainder of 1 auto loan. Our target to enter the housing market just got pushed up by 2 years from the thousands of dollars in interest we just saved. And then we have the monthly dependent stipend on top of that?! 

While the 7k deposit that hit on Friday may not seem a life changing sum for everyone, it is for me and my family. It puts us on the right track for complete financial stability that I would be able to share with my kids for generations to come. 

Then again, maybe I should have put all 7 grand on GME instead.😂

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Californication said:

I didn't get it either. Claim it on your taxes.

I am under the threshold for paying taxes in the states (under 100k), since I do pay taxes in Taiwan, though I still file every year.  So would they just credit me for this, despite my taxes owed is zero?

7 minutes ago, fcgamer said:

I am under the threshold for paying taxes in the states (under 100k), since I do pay taxes in Taiwan, though I still file every year.  So would they just credit me for this, despite my taxes owed is zero?

Ya, I have no understanding of the international rules, but I am pretty sure it's a refundable credit. Meaning even someone who has zero adjusted gross income can claim it. 

Edited by Californication
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If I remember right, there was a line on the 1040 forms, or at least on the one I used with my tax preparer, that asked if you got the previous payment(s). I would suspect that the form for next year will have it as well.

Edited by Tulpa

9 hours ago, fcgamer said:

It is a fully "refundable" tax credit -- whether you owe taxes or not, if you're eligible for the credit, FILE and get the "Recovery Rebate Credit".

EDIT -- though you are almost certainly required to file every year, anyway, unless you are earning poverty wages, so it should "just happen" when you file and do the Recovery Rebate Credit form at the end of your tax filing.

Edited by arch_8ngel
  • Thanks 1

Oof.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/poll-50-percent-of-unvaccinated-trump-voters-say-they-will-never-get-inoculated-for-covid-how-biden-hopes-to-change-their-minds-090001162.html

Last week, all the living former U.S. presidents, Democratic and Republican, joined together for an ad campaign touting the safety and effectiveness of the COVID-19 vaccines — except Donald Trump.

At the same time, a new Yahoo News/YouGov poll found that a full 50 percent of unvaccinated 2020 Trump voters now say they will “never” get vaccinated for COVID-19, up 6 percent from last month.

According to the survey of 1,629 U.S. adults, which was conducted March 4-8, no other unvaccinated group is nearly as likely to say they will “never” get inoculated: not Biden supporters (8 percent), not Black Americans (33 percent) and not Hispanic Americans (22 percent), all of whom have moved in the opposite direction and become less hesitant over time.

Asked Monday if President Biden “want[s] to see President Trump” — who is also the only president who chose to keep his own vaccination private — help persuade his supporters by getting “involved in this messaging,” White House press secretary Jen Psaki did not mince words.

“Well, if former President Trump woke up tomorrow and wanted to be more vocal about the safety and efficacy of the vaccine, certainly we’d support that,” Psaki said. “Every other living former president ... has participated in public campaigns. They did not need an engraved invitation to do so.”

The growing concerns about Trump’s lack of involvement in America’s vaccination campaign underscore a looming challenge for the Biden administration: how to ensure that vaccines don’t become the latest public-health precaution to fall prey to partisanship and polarization, much like masks before them.

• Like 1

Like, how does a guy like that full-on drink the kool aid?
I just do not get it.

Is Trump’s cult of personality that intoxicating? From the outside looking in, he is repulsive, but man is he a good con man. 

He gets people to throw away their lives in fealty to him, with never giving anything in return. Zilch. 

Truly bizarre. 

• Like 1

McConnell complaining about the filibuster and saying how he would deadlock everything if they removed it 😂😂😂😂

I say Fuck the republicans, I hope Biden slams through every liberal wishlist item he can. I mean, 60% of the republicans in the house are basically racist anti-democracy fascists anyways, Democrats are going to be hated either way. 

Now if we could just get rid of the electoral college........

• Like 1

Great, the whack jobs are out in force.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/man-arrested-outside-vice-president-kamala-harris-official-residence-and-had-rifle-and-ammunition-in-car/ar-BB1eHdYS?li=BBnb7Kz

Washington, DC, police arrested a Texas man outside Vice President Kamala Harris' official residence, the US Naval Observatory, in the nation's capital on Wednesday and he's now facing weapons and ammunition charges.

• Angry 1