IGNORED

Doodle World NES

natepeters

Greetings!

I am new to the forums and this is my first post. Name's Nate. I am software analyst and in the last few years I had to shift focus to Assembly and in an effort to become more proficient I decided to learn how to make an NES game. Just when I started to get my feet wet in the pool of NES development I learned about NESMaker and it's Byte-Off competition while at PAX South in 2019. After talking with Joe Granato for a while and listening to a talk he gave at the con, I decided to give NESMaker a try and make something for the competition.

Watching my, then 4 year old daughter, doodling on notepad paper one day the idea hit me. Make a game based on her doodle. Enter Doodle World.

In Doodle World you play as Doodle, and he is out to save his world from the evil King Eraser and his minions of office supplies. Doodle World is a simple classic style side scrolling platformer. Run, jump, and kill enemies by jumping on them. There are a total of 15 levels spread across 5 lands... Notepad Hills, Crystal Crayon Cave, Felt Tip Forest, Dry Erase Desert, and King Eraser's Castle. Along the way you will collect crayons which grant you an extra life after you collect 100. Find a flashing super crayon and you will be invincible for 10 seconds!

The whole game gives the appearance of being drawn and colored on notepad paper.

Doodle World was made using Notepad++ and NESMaker for script and asset management.

The game is complete and is currently being play tested and bug fixed. I am planning a Kickstarter campaign scheduled to kick off on Aug. 17th.

doodle.jpg

Doodle_World_Screenshot_2.png

cave_colors.PNG

Capture.PNG

• Like 12

Events Team · Posted

Welcome aboard, Nate.  Cool project.  I really like the colored-with-crayon quality that your textures have. 

Check out @KHAN Games' Study Hall for a similarly themed homebrew.  Different play style for sure but has the same doodle style element.  (And a killer 80s chiptune soundtrack to boot!)

Edited by JamesRobot
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hey everyone! Thanks for the well wishes! Sorry I have not been very active, been focusing on my health and getting Doodle World ready for the Kickstarter launch.

With that said, after some very rigorous bug/play testing the game is done and I will be launching the Kickstarter tomorrow!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/natepeters/doodle-world

• Like 2

Just backed for a CIB copy. Three things really sold me: the demo, the art style, and the "kids mode." I would love to see more devs follow your lead on that last one. Pretty much anything these days that says "AND you can enjoy this with your kids!!" will get me pulling out my wallet.

• Like 2

Homebrew Team · Posted
5 minutes ago, darkchylde28 said:

Has anyone confirmed if the ROM only version works on a flash cart versus an emulator?  I'd be down for a ROM copy but don't want to get stuck playing on a computer (etc.) versus on real hardware via flash cart.

Which flash cart?  I believe the latest firmware for Everdrive and Powerpak support the mapper type (mapper 30) now. 

20 hours ago, Deadeye said:

Which flash cart?  I believe the latest firmware for Everdrive and Powerpak support the mapper type (mapper 30) now. 

I've got both and EverDrive and PowerPak, so that's covered.  Are you saying that this is using mapper 30?  If so, that should be confirmation enough that it would work properly on both.

Homebrew Team · Posted
22 minutes ago, darkchylde28 said:

I've got both and EverDrive and PowerPak, so that's covered.  Are you saying that this is using mapper 30?  If so, that should be confirmation enough that it would work properly on both.

I am not positive, but I believe so.  @natepeters would need to confirm.