IGNORED

How Many Games Do You Actually Finish?

Tekdrudge

Editorials Team · Posted
1 hour ago, Tekdrudge said:

Because of my time constraints I pulled all the RPG's and very long games out of my backlog. I'll put them back when I retire. Lol.

I did something similar.  Like, I look at my DS collection and see a game like Spectral Force Genesis and think "how long would that take me, how good would it be, and what games will I NEVER end up playing because of the opportunity cost?"

Which is why I will never play it.  Even though I kinda dig the artwork and everything - and it was $6 new on Amazon - so in my collection it sits.  Forever unopened.

Or, do I need to buy that new NIS game for Switch?  It only got a 70 on metacritic.  And why would I play through it when I've never played (all the way) through Xenogears or Shinobi III?  What is the better use of my time?

SNES is the exception.  For obvious reasons.  Lots of slogs I made myself endure.

• Like 1

Graphics Team · Posted
On 7/17/2020 at 12:34 AM, Link said:

I’m pretty bad at games, so not a lot. 

Same here. I have a lenient goal of at least trying to get to the halfway point in most of my games. Then I can at least say I got a decent feel for it even if I don't have the skill to make it to the end.

That being said, there are way too many games that I've played up to the final level, only to encounter a massive difficulty spike and never finish (Ninja Gaiden, Little Nemo, Adventures of Lolo, Vice: Project Doom). It's a terrible feeling to have worked so hard to get to the end, then leave without the satisfaction of completing the game.

-CasualCart

• Like 2

Events Helper · Posted
8 hours ago, CasualCart said:

Same here. I have a lenient goal of at least trying to get to the halfway point in most of my games. Then I can at least say I got a decent feel for it even if I don't have the skill to make it to the end.

That being said, there are way too many games that I've played up to the final level, only to encounter a massive difficulty spike and never finish (Ninja Gaiden, Little Nemo, Adventures of Lolo, Vice: Project Doom). It's a terrible feeling to have worked so hard to get to the end, then leave without the satisfaction of completing the game.

-CasualCart

go back and do it......watch some vids, learn some strats.  go back and beat them all lol.

On 7/20/2020 at 6:00 PM, CasualCart said:

-CasualCart

When I was a kid, I thought I sucked at NES games...When I became an adult, I realized NES games are just frickin' hard! Anyone else feel the same way.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, ZeldaFreak said:

Oh yeah, most NES games are hard as hell for sure. It ain't just you.

I always heard NES games were programmed hard, so people feel they got their money's worth and wouldn't return games. If you dropped $40 on a NES game in 1988 and beat it in a day, you could probably return it. Don't know if there is any truth to that, but it sounds legit to some degree.

• Like 1

Events Team · Posted
3 minutes ago, Tekdrudge said:

I always heard NES games were programmed hard, so people feel they got their money's worth and wouldn't return games. If you dropped $40 on a NES game in 1988 and beat it in a day, you could probably return it. Don't know if there is any truth to that, but it sounds legit to some degree.

Yeah, it wouldn't surprise me for sure. It makes sense.

Plus there's the fact that around the time the NES came out, arcades were still very much a thing, and those are specifically designed to be hard to suck up as many of your quarters as possible, so the fact that older NES games are oftentimes very hard could be kind of a holdover from arcade difficulty.

• Like 1

I seem to beat about 90% of the games I really attempt to beat, according to my Backloggery page.  The other 10% is where I get to the final boss/area but haven't beat it.   My thing is, NES games are hard but they can usually hold my interest enough (particularly platformers, shmups) so I try to forge through. Reminds me I still need to finish Nemo (though glad to see I'm not the only one!)

https://backloggery.com/nesmaster14

Edited by nesmaster14
  • Like 1

I'd say around 15% of the games I play.  I simply don't have enough free time to finish everything, try everything that comes out, play the games I review, and well, life an actual life. Too much comes out too fast now, and half the time, my stuff is still sealed by the time the next generation of games is out.

3 hours ago, maxlords said:

Too much comes out too fast now, and half the time, my stuff is still sealed by the time the next generation of games is out.

This is how I ended up with a sealed copy of Final Fantasy VII. Didn't get around to playing it, and then before I knew it the PS2 was out.

On 7/21/2020 at 10:00 PM, ZeldaFreak said:

Yeah, it wouldn't surprise me for sure. It makes sense.

Plus there's the fact that around the time the NES came out, arcades were still very much a thing, and those are specifically designed to be hard to suck up as many of your quarters as possible, so the fact that older NES games are oftentimes very hard could be kind of a holdover from arcade difficulty.

Someone made a documentary about video game rentals. He said that in Japan, the video game companies lobbied to make video rentals illegal. So the games in Japan are often easier than US versions.

In the USA, game rentals were legal. To try to discourage kids from renting games, developers made the US version of games more difficult. This way kids probably couldn’t beat the game in 2-3 days, which is about how long you would normally rent the game for. So they would have to choose between renting the game a bunch of times or just buying the game.

I think he said Nintendo even unsuccessfully tried to fight with Blockbuster in US courts over the right to rent out video games.

Edited by phart010
  • Like 2

I remember waaaaaaay back in the day how super proud I was of myself for getting all the emblems in both Sonic Adventure games (GC).  As well as completely finishing Donkey Kong 64 (even all 3500 regular bananas).  I also did 100% items/logbooks in Metroid Primes 1 &2...let's see...all 96 levels in Super Mario World...I think I completely finished Ocarina of Time but I'm still three super hard Heart Pieces short in Majora's Mask.  I don't know for sure if I got all the heart pieces in Wind Waker but I DID get all the trophies/figurines....I think in Minish Cap I got all the trophies/figures as well as all 100 Kinstone trades; don't think I got all the heart pieces.

I really SHOULD finish Super Mario Sunshine as well as the 2D New Super Mario Bros (the ones where you have to get all the Star Coins; which is really the same thing as the stars in the 3D Mario games since '64)...but I got way too many other hobbies like reading my newspaper archive and encyclopedia yearbooks among other things and like I said before it's quite easy to get spread a bit thin!

On 7/21/2020 at 8:55 PM, Tekdrudge said:

Adjusted for inflation it was more like ~$100 for a new NES game.  And when the NES first came out on a national level in 1986, the classic NES w/ Zapper/Mario/Duck Hunt was at least $500 in today's money.  Oh it gets even worse!  Wanna be the first on your block in 1977 to get the new Atari Video Computer System (2600)?  About $750 in today's money!!

• Wow! 1

9 minutes ago, Estil said:

Adjusted for inflation it was more like ~$100 for a new NES game.  And when the NES first came out on a national level in 1986, the classic NES w/ Zapper/Mario/Duck Hunt was at least $500 in today's money.  Oh it gets even worse!  Wanna be the first on your block in 1977 to get the new Atari Video Computer System (2600)?  About $750 in today's money!!

Check what a Neo Geo would cost in today's dollars. 😛

2 minutes ago, Tulpa said:

Check what a Neo Geo would cost in today's dollars. 😛

That was one of the 90s luxury consoles....you expect those (and LaserDisc players of that day) to be expensive.  I'm talking about how surprisingly expensive regular ol' NES games in their prime went for new when you count inflation.

Edited by Estil

15 minutes ago, Tulpa said:

Even not counting for inflation they were considered pretty pricey back in the day. They didn't have the competition you have with today's gaming, which gives us much more options.

Not exactly...the 90s luxury consoles were an upscale alternative to the "mainstream" consoles (GEN/SNES).  We have no such thing now...just the regular "big three".  I don't recall any other other "luxury consoles" coming out since 90s...that is ones that were meant to be truly above and beyond the capabilities of the "regular three".

25 minutes ago, Estil said:

Not exactly...the 90s luxury consoles were an upscale alternative to the "mainstream" consoles (GEN/SNES).  We have no such thing now...just the regular "big three".  I don't recall any other other "luxury consoles" coming out since 90s...that is ones that were meant to be truly above and beyond the capabilities of the "regular three".

Well, that's my point. Competition today from all aspects of gaming have kept the modern consoles price down. The PS4/5, Xbox whatever and the Switch ARE the luxury consoles. They just don't have the premium price that they had in the past. You have so many more options than just the "regular three", so to compete, they can't price them as (relatively) high as they used to be.

Edited by Tulpa

I've cleared 16 games already this year.  Not bad.

Couldn't give you a %.  Too hard to differentiate between games I played for a few mins to tests/check out vs games I intended to beat and haven't finished yet or abandoned.