IGNORED

Movie Debate #21: Mad Max Fury Road

Reed Rothchild

Rate it  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Rating explanations down below

• 10/10 - One of your very favorite movies of all time. Top 10.
    • 9/10 - Killer fucking movie. Everyone should watch it.
    • 8/10 - Great movie. Maybe one of the best released that year.
    • 7/10 - Very good movie, but not quite great.
    • 6/10 - Pretty good. You might enjoy the occasional watch, or tune in if you happen to catch it on cable.
    • 5/10 - It's okay, but maybe not something you'll go out of your way to watch.
    • 4/10 - Meh. There's plenty of better alternatives to this.
    • 3/10 - Not very good.
    • 2/10 - Not your cup of tea at all. Some people might like this, but you are not one of them.
    • 1/10 - Horrible in every way.
    • 0/10 - The Citizen Kane of painful experiences. You'd rather shove an icepick in your retinas than watch this.
    • I haven't seen the movie, but I'm interested in watching it
    • No interest in watching it

I'm not normally big on pure action movies. Action scenes almost always bore me because nothing actually happens - doesn't matter how well put together they are, if it's just flashy stuff for the sake of being flashy, I can't find it entertaining. I just want them to be over with, to get on with the story, and if the story isn't good I can't possibly care. To me, Die Hard is a great example of how to make an action movie great by making the characters and dialogue elevate it, with the action just acting as a cherry on top.

Then Mad Max 4 comes out, and it's really just one long action scene, yet it's fantastic. The whole mood of the movie is so expertly done that nearly everything that happens manages to convey something that adds to it.

If you want to make an action movie that relies on the action, this is the one movie you need to take lessons from.
And from the guy who made Babe: Pig in the City no less.

9/10

Edited by Sumez
  • Like 2

Meh - the thing was a travesty compared to "The "Road Warrior".  (Which was a solid 12 as far as I am concerned.) Virtually nothing of what made "The Road Warrior" so fantastic was in this film.

Human milk?  Really?? 

As an aside I am currently reading a book of Shadowrun short stories and one of them refers to a trivid (movie) title "Mad Max and the Temple of Rust"- which I thought was a kinda funny one liner.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tabonga said:

Meh - the thing was a travesty compared to "The "Road Warrior".  (Which was a solid 12 as far as I am concerned.) Virtually nothing of what made "The Road Warrior" so fantastic was in this film.

Human milk?  Really?? 

Ditto!

I would even watch Thunderdome over Fury Road. 

Edited by themisfit138

Administrator · Posted
2 hours ago, Tabonga said:

Human milk?  Really?? 

As an aside I am currently reading a book of Shadowrun short stories and one of them refers to a trivid (movie) title "Mad Max and the Temple of Rust"- which I thought was a kinda funny one liner.

Just now, themisfit138 said:

Ditto!

I would even watch Thunderdome before Fury Road. 

Let's play a game of "Spot the old men"! 😜

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Gloves said:

Let's play a game of "Spot the old men"! 😜

Let's play a game of "Spot the old wise men"! 😜

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------t

Mad Max semi chase on a budget.

Edited by Tabonga

Editorials Team · Posted
16 minutes ago, Tabonga said:

Let's play a game of "Spot the old wise men"! 😜

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------t

Mad Max semi chase on a budget.

Reminds me of another horrendous movie I have

MV5BMGY1NTAzNTgtNTY4My00YTc3LWFjZDYtMTgxMjA1NTE0ZDMxXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNzMzMjU5NDY@._V1_.jpg

11 minutes ago, Reed Rothchild said:

Reminds me of another horrendous movie I have

MV5BMGY1NTAzNTgtNTY4My00YTc3LWFjZDYtMTgxMjA1NTE0ZDMxXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNzMzMjU5NDY@._V1_.jpg

Who cut the cheese??

There was a whole raft of that ilk - mostly shot in Italy or the Phillipines.  It is always pretty amusing to watch underpowered vehicles "zooming" around the wastelands.

Wow, talk about eerie timing. I just watched this film for the first time last night.

It's a terrible movie.

They drive out into the desert and then they turn around and drive back. All while senseless inane "stunts" are performed. 

And for a place where fuel is supposedly scarce, it's an odd choice to bring along a ridiculous tower of speakers on wheels with a guitar player chained to the front of it. (who purges fuel through his guitar which is also a flamethrower somehow)

It really is a bad film, with next to zero plot, and even less character building. I hear ya, it's an "action movie", but it's not even great action. Just idiots wearing chalk jumping around on cars driving straight. There's zero variety and after the first 5 min of the "chase" you've effectively seen the whole movie. I kept waiting for it to get better, all the way to the end credits, but it never did.

2/10

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Br81zad said:

Wow, talk about eerie timing. I just watched this film for the first time last night.

It's a terrible movie.

They drive out into the desert and then they turn around and drive back. All while senseless inane "stunts" are performed. 

And for a place where fuel is supposedly scarce, it's an odd choice to bring along a ridiculous tower of speakers on wheels with a guitar player chained to the front of it. (who purges fuel through his guitar which is also a flamethrower somehow)

It really is a bad film, with next to zero plot, and even less character building. I hear ya, it's an "action movie", but it's not even great action. Just idiots wearing chalk jumping around on cars driving straight. There's zero variety and after the first 5 min of the "chase" you've effectively seen the whole movie. I kept waiting for it to get better, all the way to the end credits, but it never did.

2/10

The only reason that Mrs. Tabonga and I stuck it out was that we paid good money to see it at the theater - at least it was a twilight showing so the price was discounted.

Editorials Team · Posted
12 minutes ago, Tabonga said:

Who cut the cheese??

There was a whole raft of that ilk - mostly shot in Italy or the Phillipines.  It is always pretty amusing to watch underpowered vehicles "zooming" around the wastelands.

Hah.  Yeah I have that one too 😆

3 minutes ago, Reed Rothchild said:

Hah.  Yeah I have that one too 😆

Here is one you might not have:

Despite having a really strong cast (Richard Harris, Ernest Borgnine, Ann Turkel, Art Carney, and Woody Strode) it is pretty lackluster. As far as I know it was only released on UK Beta and Japanese laserdisc (one of which I  have).

If you don't have it this book should be right up your alley:

1557449223_s-l640(2).jpg.cad5c322c572059015ed01bf822f21f9.jpg

It is very well done (the main title is from a 1987 post apocaplypse movie with Bruce Dern, Michael Pare, Catherine  Mary Stewart and Adam Ant - it is actually a pretty good movie for this genre).

7 minutes ago, Reed Rothchild said:

Nice.  I'm always down for Dern and Pare

We are getting off topic - I suspect it is ok with the OP.

Here is a great movie (with an unsatisfying ending but the trip there is a trip) with Michael Pare  (dynamite soundtrack too):

Here is really strange one (Psych-Out) from 1968 - with Jack Nicholson, Dean Stockwell, Susan Strasberg and Bruce Dern as hippies in Haight Ashbury. 

51 minutes ago, Reed Rothchild said:

Yeah I love Streets of Fire.  If I thought it would get more than 3 responses, I'd give it a weekly thread

I love that convertible. I also love the scene where Pere beats the snot out of the wannabee thugs in the diner,

One of the local radio stations has a show where they announce on Monday a movie they will talk about on Friday (only for a few minutes) and they pick one that is available on Netflics etc.

Maybe something like that  could be done  for more obscure things - announce it and do it a week later

3 hours ago, Br81zad said:

There is a cinematic precedent though - Roy Orbison had a shooting guitar................

Maybe it was a guitgat!