IGNORED

What are you currently reading?

Reed Rothchild

On 2/1/2024 at 11:12 AM, GiygasKaz said:

Been working my way through Snow Crash. I wasn't sure what to expect going in, but I definitely didn't think I'd be getting almost dadaist levels of absurdist humor. It often feels like a post-ironic satire of the old internet from a modern perspective at times, despite having come from that era. Pays tribute to the campiness of old sci-fi and the political satire of Carpenter's They Live.

That's the first description of Snow Crash, I've read that actually makes me kind of want to read it.  🙂 

• Like 1

Graphics Team · Posted

image.png.9bca520a75e5aa943ec224d7d631c880.png

Finished reading The Tipping Point (2000) by Malcom Gladwell.

Spoiler

This is a seriously fascinating book on social epidemics - what makes them start, who propagates them, and how they can be manipulated. It covers everything from Sesame Street’s research into practical education-communication for kids, to New York’s 1980s crime reduction efforts, to Airwalk’s1990s sneaker-marketing campaigns, to a suicide epidemic in Micronesia.

Gladwell succinctly codifies the factors of social trends - the elements that make something “tip” into epidemic status. This includes the people who generate and spread information, like early adopters who set trends to begin with, “connectors” with large networks, and “mavens” with a uniquely passionate personality for sharing. An extension of this was some fascinating insight on the magic “150” cap of people we unconsciously maintain in our interpersonal network, and how certain companies have translated that into great success by maintaining branches below the 150 threshold (to a degree of efficacy that negates the need for any sort of leadership hierarchy whatsoever). Gladwell denotes a “stickiness” factor to social epidemics as well, highlighting not only how ideas and trends are promoted, but the elements that secure them firmly into the public consciousness.

One of the most interesting facets of Gladwell’s research was the environmental factors that escalate and “allow” certain behavior. He pointed out the “broken window” effect, noting how diligent graffiti removal on subways can actually reduce crime by erasing a small feature of the environment that would otherwise invite further lawbreaking. The book also made a brief foray into the idea of “mass hysteria”, and how social epidemics can spread from fear of something that doesn’t even exist. 

Given that The Tipping Point was written in an era before the social media boom, I’m supremely curious about how the mechanics of social epidemics have shifted in today’s internet age. How does a modern “influencer” compare to Gladwell’s “maven”? Do social movements today have significantly shorter life-cycles from our new, unprecedented speed of information turnover? And how has marketing evolved to chase or even create trends in a world so far evolved from Airwalk’s edgy 90s advertising strategies? Inquiring minds want to know. That being said - I still think the fundamentals of Gladwell’s book hold true today, and The Tipping Point will always be an insightful read no matter how far out we move from its publication.

[T-Pac]

• Like 1

Finished --

Stepford-AEBook-Jacket.jpg

The Stepford Wives is arguably an early feminist novel. That said, it explores very "ancient" ideas such as beauty, vanity, changing of the guard.

The plot (no spoilers) is that a young couple move from NYC to the idyllic town of Stepford for a better life. To me, this is interesting on many levels. First, back in the 70s you really could just "pack up and move" -- something basically impossible today. Also back in the 70s, living in Manhattan was far from ideal, and many middle-income and poor people resided in what today is basically a haven for the very rich.  Not to mention back in the 70s as middle-class you could not only afford to purchase a house, there was ample supply, but you would do it on a single-person income (since women by and large were still not in the workplace)!

Anyway, they move to Stepford where all the women seem... well, as if they were from the 50s. This doesn't fit well with our protagonist Joanna since she is a "modern American women" and involved in NOW and wants a career. She absolutely despises the Stepford Men's Association which is clearly antiquated (although in the 70s you could still refuse to let women in an organization). We have the new modern woman (Joanna) vs the older more docile housewives of Stepford. Another important plot point is that a black family is also moving to Stepford. The 70s were a time when integration was really happening across America, and while again I'm not going to spoil anything, Stepford overall seems fine with having their first black family move into the upscale town.

The Stepford Wives has also been the basis for a number of films, two of which share the same name as the novella. The 1975 version follows in the spirit of the novella, although it drastically alters some plot lines. Overall, I recommend watching the 1975 film after reading the novella. The 2004 remake, despite having a stellar cast, is quite bad in comparison. It does not follow the novella and is honestly very forgettable. As for where to purchase The Stepford Wives should you be interested -- if you like to collect books I only know of one "fine press" (letterpress) limited edition, and it's still available for retail (and at an excellent price for a book of this quality) --

https://shop.suntup.press/products/the-stepford-wives-by-ira-levin-artist-edition

Aside from the lovely typography and again wonderful letterpress treatment, the illustrations are just gorgeous! For example --

s1.jpg

s2.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/26/2019 at 12:17 PM, TrekMD said:

I'm currently reading a Star Trek Voyager novel:  Atonement.

I find these fun to read from time to time, plus it's the only way to get a new episode.  I haven't read Atonement though.  Curious to know what you think when finished..

8 hours ago, PII said:

I find these fun to read from time to time, plus it's the only way to get a new episode.  I haven't read Atonement though.  Curious to know what you think when finished..

I liked it but know that this is only part of a story.  There is a series of books you have to read the get the whole story. 

On 2/1/2024 at 12:12 PM, GiygasKaz said:

Been working my way through Snow Crash. I wasn't sure what to expect going in, but I definitely didn't think I'd be getting almost dadaist levels of absurdist humor. It often feels like a post-ironic satire of the old internet from a modern perspective at times, despite having come from that era. Pays tribute to the campiness of old sci-fi and the political satire of Carpenter's They Live.

Aside from a few moments that feel outwardly sexist or xenophobic in a way that doesn't quite sit well even as supposed satire, it's generally a very enjoyable experience and unlike anything else I've read.

It's been a long time since I read it, but I recall thinking it had some, fun characters and humor, cool world building and memorable set pieces, but it also had a bunch of boring exposition sections trying to make the Snow Crash virus seem plausible, and overall was a bit of a slog.

I just finished Murtagh by Christopher Paolini. I really liked how he expanded the Eragon world and it made me curious about his other works. Turns out he started a Sci-Fi series between the last Eragon book and this one. So, I just started To Sleep In A Sea Of Stars and its pretty good too, so far. I'm not quite halfway through it. There's also a prequel, apparently. Gonna grab that one next.

Edited by Fleck586

Editorials Team · Posted

A couple of months back I ran into a local author at Barnes & Noble, promoting his new book.  He was wearing Stephen King and Clive Barker schwag, so we started up a conversation about all things horror.  I ended up buying his book, a horror anthology, and got him to sign it.  Figured I'd support him, and I'm a sucker for short story collections.  The next day he did a promotion at my friend's book store, which was also pretty cool.

Finally cracked it open, and OH MY FUCKING GOD, it is the most unreadable shit I've ever come across in my life.  Clearly the only editor he had was his wife or girlfriend.  And he's read a lot of books, but I guess he never actually gleaned any writing tips from any of them.  And the publisher?  Googled 'em, and they're just some bullshit vanity shop that dupes talentless hacks into paying them money.

I feel bad too, cause this dude is all about this thing.  He really thought that he had "made it" and that he was gonna enter the pantheon of great writers.  

Here is a sample.  This is basically every page.

PXL_20240305_054410911.jpg

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Reed Rothchild said:

A couple of months back I ran into a local author at Barnes & Noble, promoting his new book.  He was wearing Stephen King and Clive Barker schwag, so we started up a conversation about all things horror.  I ended up buying his book, a horror anthology, and got him to sign it.  Figured I'd support him, and I'm a sucker for short story collections.  The next day he did a promotion at my friend's book store, which was also pretty cool.

Finally cracked it open, and OH MY FUCKING GOD, it is the most unreadable shit I've ever come across in my life.  Clearly the only editor he had was his wife or girlfriend.  And he's read a lot of books, but I guess he never actually gleaned any writing tips from any of them.  And the publisher?  Googled 'em, and they're just some bullshit vanity shop that dupes talentless hacks into paying them money.

I feel bad too, cause this dude is all about this thing.  He really thought that he had "made it" and that he was gonna enter the pantheon of great writers.  

I read the picture before reading your post and was wondering why you were reading such an awful book. Then I read your post and it all makes sense 😆

Moderator · Posted
9 hours ago, Reed Rothchild said:

Oof, that’s brutal. 

14 hours ago, Reed Rothchild said:

Did he ask you what you thought? If he did, what did you say? If he did not, what would you say?

Editorials Team · Posted
Just now, avatar! said:

Did he ask you what you thought? If he did, what did you say? If he did not, what would you say?

I interacted with him months ago, and didn't start reading until the other day.  I'm not sure what I would say, but I hope someone near him gave him some constructive criticism.  Not that it would be enough.

• Like 1

On 3/4/2024 at 9:55 PM, Reed Rothchild said:

Does it seem like AI writing? Poor grammar,  unnatural dialogue, and curious word choice. 

Graphics Team · Posted

image.png.1435b0f33c19b7e51997058ca775bdda.png

Finished reading The Defining Decade by Meg Jay.

Spoiler

Meg Jay is a clinical psychologist, and this is essentially her call to action for “twentysomethings” based on what she’s learned working with numerous early-adult clients. I’m admittedly a bit late to a book like this, as I’ve only got a few “twentysomething” years left myself - but it was an insightful read regardless.

Jay explores work, relationships, and health as they all pertain to those starting out in adult life, and her overarching appeal is to work toward establishing all of these life-facets in your twenties rather than living aimlessly in the assumption that everything will fall in place later.

I was relieved to find that my career so far has been in-line with Jay’s suggested approach: making a definitive decision on what you want to do and taking strides toward it now. The difficult part here is knowing what you want out of a career in the first place, but any professional experience builds skill-capital for wherever you ultimately end up. And feeling sub-par or unqualified here is not only normal, but expected - since it typically takes years to establish yourself in your field. The important thing is not to give up and run away to an “easy” job just because you feel inadequate as a novice.

The most poignant assertion in The Defining Decade, at least for me, is that your twenties are a time to establish the major habits you want to keep throughout your adult life. The twenties are apparently the second and final period of major neural-network building in the brain (the first being early childhood), meaning it’s the time to solidify important connections and habits for navigating adult life before your brain prunes its “unused” links in your thirties. 
I’m not entirely certain what lifestyle I want to establish for the years to come, but I’m motivated to figure it out now, in the “use it or lose it” neurological period of my own brain development. I can’t know everything now, but there’s something encouraging in the idea that what I do in my twenties actually makes a difference for my future. Here’s hoping I take these last few “twentysomething” years and make the most of them.

[T-Pac]

• Like 1

5 hours ago, T-Pac said:

image.png.1435b0f33c19b7e51997058ca775bdda.png

Finished reading The Defining Decade by Meg Jay.

Hide contents

Meg Jay is a clinical psychologist, and this is essentially her call to action for “twentysomethings” based on what she’s learned working with numerous early-adult clients. I’m admittedly a bit late to a book like this, as I’ve only got a few “twentysomething” years left myself - but it was an insightful read regardless.

Jay explores work, relationships, and health as they all pertain to those starting out in adult life, and her overarching appeal is to work toward establishing all of these life-facets in your twenties rather than living aimlessly in the assumption that everything will fall in place later.

I was relieved to find that my career so far has been in-line with Jay’s suggested approach: making a definitive decision on what you want to do and taking strides toward it now. The difficult part here is knowing what you want out of a career in the first place, but any professional experience builds skill-capital for wherever you ultimately end up. And feeling sub-par or unqualified here is not only normal, but expected - since it typically takes years to establish yourself in your field. The important thing is not to give up and run away to an “easy” job just because you feel inadequate as a novice.

The most poignant assertion in The Defining Decade, at least for me, is that your twenties are a time to establish the major habits you want to keep throughout your adult life. The twenties are apparently the second and final period of major neural-network building in the brain (the first being early childhood), meaning it’s the time to solidify important connections and habits for navigating adult life before your brain prunes its “unused” links in your thirties. 
I’m not entirely certain what lifestyle I want to establish for the years to come, but I’m motivated to figure it out now, in the “use it or lose it” neurological period of my own brain development. I can’t know everything now, but there’s something encouraging in the idea that what I do in my twenties actually makes a difference for my future. Here’s hoping I take these last few “twentysomething” years and make the most of them.

[T-Pac]

I really enjoying reading your reviews! Spot-on. Do you think we should start a "book review" thread?

🙂

On 3/5/2024 at 1:55 PM, Reed Rothchild said:

Could you please tell me the name of this book or help me obtain a copy? I'd love to check it out. 

Graphics Team · Posted
17 hours ago, avatar! said:

I really enjoying reading your reviews! Spot-on. Do you think we should start a "book review" thread?

🙂

Thanks, dude!

I feel like this thread is fine for now. It's not terribly active anyway - plus I wouldn't consider my writeups "reviews" so much as "my thoughts on what I just read".

[T-Pac]

7 hours ago, T-Pac said:

Thanks, dude!

I feel like this thread is fine for now. It's not terribly active anyway - plus I wouldn't consider my writeups "reviews" so much as "my thoughts on what I just read".

[T-Pac]

Well I appreciate your thoughts which I feel are very ruminative 🙂

• Thanks 1

Graphics Team · Posted

image.png.97f177ba24b66d8987584f627f4df45c.png

Finished reading Anna Karenina (1878) by Leo Tolstoy.

Spoiler

This is a literary classic that follows a selection of upper class Russian relations through their lives in Moscow, Petersburg, and the neighboring countryside. The highlighted characters are the titular Anna Karenina and Konstantin Levin, who rarely interact but bolster the narrative with their diametrically opposed fates.

At its core, this novel explores the difference between living for one’s self, and living for one’s soul. That is to say - leading a life entrenched in self-interest or a life vested in God’s love. The acute difference here makes itself evident in Levin’s epiphany at the end of the novel, and informs the trajectories of each character in the story. 

Anna’s own tragedy stems from a life led by passions. Her love for Vronsky causes her to leave her otherwise ornamental marriage at the cost of abandoning her son and the security of her societal standing. And although there’s a redeemable honesty to Vronsky and Anna’s mutual love, the strained circumstances that maintain it are worsened by the relationship’s self-interested underpinning. Trapped in this vacuum of equal parts isolation and similarly-motivated company, Anna can’t help but spiral into unfounded jealousy - ultimately seizing suicide as the only means to escape her situation and satisfy the vindictiveness that her feelings toward Vronsky so precipitously evolved into. 

Her husband Alexi falls into a similarly unsatisfying fate from self-interest. While he showed a moment of clarity in his magnanimous forgiveness of Anna as she nearly died giving birth to Vronsky’s son, Alexi’s “conversion” can’t penetrate into his character - a man whose whole being is no deeper than surface-value convictions. Stripped of his dignity in society over his wife’s infidelity and lack of confidence from his peers, Alexi becomes such a shell of a man that he turns to fortune-tellers to make decisions on his behalf. And Vronsky, broken by Anna’s suicide on his own account (though blameless), runs off to war in order to die himself under the thin guise of heroism.

A notable secondary character, Oblonsky, is similarly self-interested. And he lives this conceit outwardly through a spendthrift, unfaithful, pleasure-seeking lifestyle. Yet he surrounds himself with people who conversely live for God, for the soul and the good of others. And Oblonsky is thereby sustained through the grace of his company, whether or not he deserves the fruits of others’ generosity.

At the positive end of the spectrum is Levin, who struggles through the whole novel with his questioning of life’s meaning, of philosophical reasoning, of work and family and happiness in general. In spite of his mental turmoil over these enigmas, Levin unquestioningly follows his conscience. He pursues honest work, establishes a healthy relationship with his wife, cares for his dying brother, and provides for his friends and acquaintances. Levin finds himself at the point where his life is outwardly perfect, yet the agony of his empty search for meaning in it all brings him to the brink of suicide like Anna. And yet a moment of clarity in an offhand conversation enlightens him to the idea that living for God’s goodness, as he had unwittingly done all his life, is the key to an inner happiness that he couldn’t grasp by reason alone.

It’s a beautiful denouement to the whole novel, shedding light on what brings tragedy for the self-interested and peace for the selfless. Granted, as a Christian I can easily identify with Tolstoy’s faith projected through Levin - but I’d like to think that living for the soul is an idea that can pervade beyond religion and be a driving force for everyone’s lifestyle and inward motivations. And while those like Alexi and Anna don’t have the depth of character to embrace this truth, real people aren’t hindered by the lack of dimension that plagues allegorical figures. We all have the capacity to live for a good beyond ourselves - we just have to commit to it.

[T-Pac]

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Editorials Team · Posted

I've read or listened to a bunch of random stuff this year.  Child of God and The Crossing by Cormac McCarthy, Red by Jack Ketchum, Hellbound Heart by Clive Barker, a David Sedaris book, and a couple King books to nearly close out that library (The Talisman and it's sequel are the only one left now) @Murray 

Right now I'm reading The Terror by Dan Simmons and it appears to be the runaway winner.  Very gripping.  Reminds me of the movie The Descent where there is a monster/Boogeyman, but the most frightening thing is the terrible situation these people have willingly put themselves in.  Buncha crazy mf'ers.

• Love 1

10 hours ago, Reed Rothchild said:

I've read or listened to a bunch of random stuff this year.  Child of God and The Crossing by Cormac McCarthy, Red by Jack Ketchum, Hellbound Heart by Clive Barker, a David Sedaris book, and a couple King books to nearly close out that library (The Talisman and it's sequel are the only one left now) @Murray 

Right now I'm reading The Terror by Dan Simmons and it appears to be the runaway winner.  Very gripping.  Reminds me of the movie The Descent where there is a monster/Boogeyman, but the most frightening thing is the terrible situation these people have willingly put themselves in.  Buncha crazy mf'ers.

I quite enjoyed The Descent, still thought it would have made a better video game than movie 🙂

Social Team · Posted

Starting to get back into reading some books.  Doing a mixture right now of fiction and non-fiction.

The Golden Compass by Philip Pullman (re-reading, was one of my favorite stories)

When the Brain Can't Hear: Unraveling the Mystery of Auditory Processing Disorder by Teri James Bellis, Ph.D. (learning more about my new found disorder that I've been dealing with for decades, likely my whole life)

• Like 1