IGNORED

Scum Bag Seller???

I was looking at Dan's Games and Things on ebay and it looks like he has fake sales, but I am not sure. 

He has a bunch of crazy auction sales that occured around the same time. Blasto for $86 plus shipping, Tomba for $200, Tomba 2 for $200, CSOTN $170.

Some of the buyers are repeating, but some are different. 

The crazy thing is, that after his one crazy sales price every other listing is higjer rigjt after despite it being a one off. 

The underbidder on the Blasto only has 5% bidding activity with the seller and I see a bunch of buyers bidding on and buying the games, even the ridiculous prices. I suspect listing a large lot of nice games all at once found a bunch of bidders who put in some very high bids for "guaranteed wins" that clashed into each other. The market is FOMOing like wild on games like this right now, their price charts are a vertical cliff upwards. People are buying in like it's Bitcoin.

44 minutes ago, DefaultGen said:

The underbidder on the Blasto only has 5% bidding activity with the seller and I see a bunch of buyers bidding on and buying the games, even the ridiculous prices. I suspect listing a large lot of nice games all at once found a bunch of bidders who put in some very high bids for "guaranteed wins" that clashed into each other. The market is FOMOing like wild on games like this right now, their price charts are a vertical cliff upwards. People are buying in like it's Bitcoin.

If that were the case shouldn't the Buy it Now's fpr individual titlew at thirty percent or more less be sold?

On 5/15/2020 at 6:28 PM, austin532 said:

It seems like shill bidding to me but at the same time I wouldn't be surprised if those were real bids. People have been getting into some crazy bidding wars lately. Some of those PS1 games like JoJo's Bizarre Adventure are crazy expensive now. Why...I don't know.

May 8th, like new copy auctions for $205.  Also May 8th, very nice copy auctions for $208.  One day later, May 9th, this dudes auctions for $501.

Mind you, it looks like some silly person put in a stupid high bid on the 2nd of may and the winning bidder constantly pushed the bid up on the day the auction ended until he surpassed the previous guys bid.  He put in over 20 bids before he took the winning spot.  Some bizarre(sorry..) stuff is going on these days.  People really should save their silly high bids until the last few seconds.

Jojo's likely expensive due to the huge spike in popularity of the series since the anime was made.  I think it was released in japan in 2012 but only finally came over here in 2016.

Woah, this guy auctioned a ps1 ghost in the shell for nearly $300.  And the winning bidder has left feedback.  And $176 for silent hill 1?  Both those auctions had numerous bidders bidding well above normal value.

Edited by LinkLoZ

14 minutes ago, skinnygrinny said:

i been watching silent hill steadily rising from $50 for a while now. i almost listed mine when it started selling for $75 but decided to wait thinking it will probably hit $100 at auction and now im thinking wait for it to hit $150...

Ya, I noticed that. How many sales do they need before they become elighlble for GH?

On 5/16/2020 at 8:05 AM, GPX said:

After extensive research on the financial markets of retro games, I’ve come to this conclusion:

”pandemics”

=  volatile market x (FOMO/shill bidding)

The post above is me being tongue-in-cheek.

On a more serious note, I have sold plenty of stuff through Ebay for several years, and I've noticed an unhealthy trend - fake bidding (to artifically raise prices). I can give several examples in the recent months:

- I've had several people making "accidental high bids", only to cancel it 1-2 days prior to auction ending.

- I've had one fella making multiple bids on one item and winning the auction, only to later have the balls to say "sorry I bid by mistake, I didn't realize the exchange rate (he was an international bidder) was so high and currently I can't pay that much".

Seems like there is an increase in fake bidding overall, whether there is shill bidding going on by the sellers and their acquaintance(s), or just fake bids by some asses wanting to price pump the game for as much as humanly possible. The end result is actually the same for the people on the buying end - artificially raised prices. raised average prices, ripping people off, pissing collectors off.

TLDR - please buy your items with caution. It's ok to make losses off a retro game, but NOT ok to make losses in the 4 to 5 figures, particularly by possible fraudulent practices. Just my honest viewpoint and nothing against actually rare items that are naturally sold without fake bids/offers.

1 minute ago, GPX said:

The post above is me being tongue-in-cheek.

On a more serious note, I have sold plenty of stuff through Ebay for several years, and I've noticed an unhealthy trend - fake bidding (to artifically raise prices). I can give several examples in the recent months:

- I've had several people making "accidental high bids", only to cancel it 1-2 days prior to auction ending.

- I've had one fella making multiple bids on one item and winning the auction, only to later have the balls to say "sorry I bid by mistake, I didn't realize the exchange rate (he was an international bidder) was so high and currently I can't pay that much".

Seems like there is an increase in fake bidding overall, whether there is shill bidding going on by the sellers and their acquaintance(s), or just fake bids by some asses wanting to price pump the game for as much as humanly possible. The end result is actually the same for the people on the buying end - artificially raised prices. raised average prices, ripping people off, pissing collectors off.

TLDR - please buy your items with caution. It's ok to make losses off a retro game, but NOT ok to make losses in the 4 to 5 figures, particularly by possible fraudulent practices. Just my honest viewpoint and nothing against actually rare items that are naturally sold without fake bids/offers.

ebay is so full of non paying winners. it seems like a 50% chance of getting paid on my retro video game items.

My PS1 games are probably my favorite part of my collection, but at these prices it's almost irresponsible not to sell.

I'm looking at my mint copies of Klonoa, Castlevania 1 and 2, and Einhander and thinking $700.

I don't know if I can bring myself to do it though. I have sold two games that I regret Mega Man X3 and Dracula X. Mega Man X3 still bothers me, but I haven't gotten a new copy yet. For Dracula X, I made $60 and the label had issues, but it bothered me for a year maybe until I found a good copy for a fair price. 

Edited by Californication

1 hour ago, Californication said:

My PS1 games are probably my favorite part of my collection, but at these prices it's almost irresponsible not to sell.

I'm looking at my mint copies of Klonoa, Castlevania 1 and 2, and Einhander and thinking $700.

I don't know if I can bring myself to do it though. I have sold two games that I regret Mega Man X3 and Dracula X. Mega Man X3 still bothers me, but I haven't gotten a new copy yet. For Dracula X, I made $60 and the label had issues, but it bothered me for a year maybe until I found a good copy for a fair price. 

Agree!! II cut loose with most of my PS1 because the prices were out of control. Between my sealed find from years ago to just picking stuff up at garage sales for ps1, I have cleared 10k+. Still have some bangers too 😉 

Cant believe what some stuff goes for. 

• Like 1

Yeah right now it's not smart to let stuff sit if you want it gone because people are fairly shut in, have government cash, and are being stupid with it.

Last month I tried just for a little over two weeks when ebay dropped like 500 free listings or something ridiculous.  I moved over 40 items and made like 1200 doing that which is insane, and some of it was stuff I had sat on for quite a few months.  I think what worked was I left prices as is, or a few I dropped just a dollar or few, as a lot of others are being d-bags and raising prices on stuff.  I had an irregular amount of the required 30% higher BIN minimum stuff go within hours to the first day or two than I ever have had before.

Right now being a bit lazy, I have a lot more I could stuff up there, but I don't want to strip the closet bare either.  There's quite a few jewel case, couple boxed and a sealed old big box PC game I could put out, random other Nintendo/Sony things too, and a lot of vintage toys I'm not looking forward to finding boxes for and packing up.

18 hours ago, MrWunderful said:

Agree!! II cut loose with most of my PS1 because the prices were out of control. Between my sealed find from years ago to just picking stuff up at garage sales for ps1, I have cleared 10k+. Still have some bangers too 😉 

Cant believe what some stuff goes for. 

Can you tell us about your sealed find?

3 hours ago, attakid101 said:

Can you tell us about your sealed find?

I mentioned it years ago on NA, let me see if I still have the pic-

here is the first half-4B186866-74ED-4BE9-9D96-B5960015F256.jpeg.e7e48d3ec6334118116d93bcfef205b0.jpeg

long story short, found someone who worked for Sony at a garage sale and he had 100-200 sealed ps1, ps2, psp rpg/shooters. They were all 1$ each.  Ive since sold almost everything from that lot.  My best “evil reseller” find  

• Like 1

On 5/17/2020 at 10:34 AM, Californication said:

I hadn't notice this as much and then I saw Valkyrie Profile.  Holy shit, PS1 is on fire as much as some Gamecube.  Stuff is going crazy all over at the moment. 

Administrator · Posted

PS1 being one of my favorite consoles I have a decent collection for it, and really just the games I wanted, no filler. So I'm sitting on a surprise gold mine right now. 

Definitely not planning on selling much/anything though, as I bought these games to keep and play.

Interesting seeing games I bought for $50 quintupled in value though. 

26 minutes ago, skinnygrinny said:

@Californication im looking at my ps1 stuff with $$ eyes.

Me too.

I think my 30ish or so games are worth around 2k. I am going to list them all at 3k and if someone takes them, I'll start from scratch. If I sell one or two I think it will bother me more. 

I just picked up Silent Hill 2, 3, and 4, individually over the last four or five months for maybe $80. Only played two a little, think I will throw them up for $225 since I am not attached yet.

Edited by Californication

Eh I took advantage slightly of the stupidity on ebay right now with PS1.  I had been sitting on Tomba for awhile and a couple others I really had little interest in after playing them a bit and it just doing nothing for me.  I didn't mark them down, definitely not up, but damn they went fast.  My PS1 library is piddly, it fits with plenty of room to spare in this licensed wood frame/plastic drawer thing I found a couple years ago Sony licensed.  Total quality over quantity I guess. 😄  I do have black label Doom sitting in there as the cherry on top.  Amazing find too, love it when stores foul up.

Edited by Tanooki

11 hours ago, jonebone said:

I hadn't notice this as much and then I saw Valkyrie Profile.  Holy shit, PS1 is on fire as much as some Gamecube.  Stuff is going crazy all over at the moment. 

Valkyrie Profile used to be such a mythic game(like suikoden 2 or panzer dragoon saga), it's kinda funny how its been fairly stagnant for so many years.  This sellers auction for it looks like it might have really started the price spike.  Before it auctions were pretty normal ($140ish) but since this one there have been a few $300 auctions end, and some that are currently running are already at $300.  At least from a quick look at things.

I looked through a few more of this guys sales, lots of his fighters went stupid too (and often to the same seller).  Why did SNK vs Capcom go so high!?  $152 for a $35 game, ouch.

Edited by LinkLoZ

WTF Capcom vs SNK went for how much?!  I had been putting that one off since it was a $20-25 beater price range.  Guess that's off the table, sticking to SNK vs Capcom Plus on my 161in1 cart.  This virus has been a virus in more than one way.  It's making shut in like goods (ie: video games, collectibles, etc) go well up in price to asinine levels.  Shame things are shut down, by the time retail catches wise and second tier retail (aka: flea, thrift, etc) they'll have adjusted too and it'll be a disaster.