IGNORED

5 screw collectors

1 hour ago, DK said:

It came with Metroid, Simon's Quest, Stinger, Rygar and Maniac Mansion.

Both Metroid and Simon's Quest were the white oval seal releases.

stingertop.JPG

Hmmm interesting.  I do see some boxes over on the left.  When I did my ebay hunting or even talking with people locally, its usually interesting that just on the games they own I could probably predict their age.  Usually the games inside the lot kinda go together and have the same kind of release date span.  That metroid isn't the re-issue so if my hunch was right about Stinger, I would have guessed that Metroid be the yellow variant.  Not anything scientific, of course.

I just need Star Force, Stadium Events and Sqoon to complete my 5 screw set. The S's are the toughest ones.

Note that I don't consider RC Pro Am as part of a 5 screw set because all of the evidence I've seen points to the sole known copy being a refurbishment.

Edited by fusoyaff2
  • Like 1

On 5/14/2020 at 7:58 PM, Dr. Morbis said:

Here's my list.  Feel free anyone to chime in if I'm missing anything.  (And I'm not counting Konami/Ultra and other one-offs, but I do pick them up if I see them - I only have Silent Service so far right now). Ignore the lines with empty spaces; I don't know how that happened or how to get rid of them.  My list total is 86:

10 Yard Fight
3-D World Runner
Alpha Mission
Arkanoid
Athena
Athletic World
Balloon Fight
Baseball
Breakthru
Burgertime
Castlevania

Chubby Cherub

Clu Clu Land
Commando
Deadly Towers

Donkey Kong

Donkey Kong 3
Donkey Kong Jr.

Donkey Kong Jr. Math
Double Dribble
Duck Hunt
Elevator Action
Excitebike
Ghosts 'n' Goblins
Golf
Goonies 2

Gotcha!
Gradius
Gumshoe

Gyromite
Hogan's Alley
Ice Climber
Ikari Warriors

Jaws
Karate Champ
Kid Icarus
Kid Niki
Kung Fu
Legend of Kage
Legend of Zelda
Lode Runner
Lunar Pool

M.U.S.C.L.E.
Mach Rider
Mario Bros

Mega Man
Metroid
Mighty Bomb Jack

Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!!
Ninja Kid
Pinball
Popeye
Pro Wrestling
Rad Racer
Raid on Bungling Bay
Ring King
Rush 'n' Attack
Rygar
Section Z
Sky Kid
Slalom

Soccer
Solomon's Key
Spelunker
Spy Hunter

Sqoon

Stack Up
Star Force
Star Voyager

Stinger
Super Mario Bros.
Super Pitfall
Tag Team Wrestling
Tennis
Tiger-Heli
Top Gun
Track and Field
Trojan
Urban Champion
Volleyball
Wild Gunman
Winter Games
Wizards & Warriors
Wrecking Crew
Zanac

EDIT:  never mind....it’d help if I read your post before reading this list!😂

———
Don’t see Jackal on this list.

Edited by NesQuest

1 hour ago, CasualCart said:

There's definitely an odd sort of appeal to screw-variants, but it's things like this that make game-collectors seem like we have a few screws loose ourselves.

-CasualCart

1106615070_ScrewVariants.jpg.625b25c262a1b68187234d943b309014.jpg

Wait 'til you find out about notched vs. square AVE Unlicensed games! Or Sachen Holes vs. No Holes carts!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I was never much into collecting NES variants, but with time on my hands I looked thru the collection to see where I stand. Seems I've got 53 of the 5 screws, and none of the tough ones. Rarely see NES in the wild anymore but I guess I'll start carrying a list of those I'm missing in case I get lucky.

I never was onto it either, but it's fun to read up on it.  I do have a few of this or that variant, but it's usually buy choice.  I loathe with a passion greatest hits/players choice/select stuff, I'll pay more not to get that.  I won't pay for a 5 vs 3 screw as it comes off personally ridiculous.  N64 games, I hate the colored shells, so I'd pay more for a gray than a blue Hydro Thunder if I wanted it back some day.  Everyone has their own likes, dislikes...tolerances.  But respecting that, and liking to learn and follow, no harm at all.

• 2 weeks later...

I dont consider RC Pro-Am a legitimate 5 screw - Ive been searching on and off for years and the only evidence Ive seen is one lousy, bad condition cart that clearly looks like there are glue outlines on the edges of the label.  Also never a box.  Bogus unless someone can supply a legit example.  Cmon

Stinger 3 Screw is the opposite.  There are at least three known examples and a box.  It is my holy grail and I dont considering my set to be complete until I have one.  I need a copy.  NEED!  Also an SE 5 screw..

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, _Brink_ said:

I dont consider RC Pro-Am a legitimate 5 screw - Ive been searching on and off for years and the only evidence Ive seen is one lousy, bad condition cart that clearly looks like there are glue outlines on the edges of the label.  Also never a box.  Bogus unless someone can supply a legit example.  Cmon

Stinger 3 Screw is the opposite.  There are at least three known examples and a box.  It is my holy grail and I dont considering my set to be complete until I have one.  I need a copy.  NEED!  Also an SE 5 screw..

I think a copy of Stinger was FS around here within the past month. I could be wrong though. I'm not sure it sold so go looking through the Sale threads.

• 2 years later...
On 5/16/2020 at 10:33 AM, ThePhleo said:

That's the complete list except for 5-Screw Stadium Events, and 5-Screw R.C. Pro-Am.

Both of which are so rare, that everyone's set even with Mike Tyson & Mega Man should be considered complete since there's only 3 known copies of Stadium Events, and 1 known copy of R.C. Pro-Am to have 5 screws.

Also on the WTF rarity list is 3-Screw Stinger which is confirmed to exist and even have a matching REV-A / No HT box!

I wonder if there are any one of a kind 5 screws out there that nobody has on their radar due to being cart refurbs from either Nintendo or the publisher. 

Look at this: Limited Run Josh Fairhurst, the developer/publisher of Breach and Clear, has a spool of extra Vita cart labels sent to him from Sony. He could presumably do a label replacement and the replaced label would still be considered original. I wonder if publishers back then also had extra OEM game labels and a stock of 5 screw shells that could be used to refurbish games with

BF258410-8130-452C-A863-B80126EC791C.thumb.png.ab92ace23d8a7afcc486709bdd1f3115.png

8 hours ago, phart010 said:

I wonder if publishers back then also had extra OEM game labels and a stock of 5 screw shells that could be used to refurbish games with

I wouldn't be surprised if they are out there. 

About 10 years ago I got these RBI Baseball labels from someone who worked at Tengen. Never seen a roll of licensed labels for sale though.

PXL_20230301_132420037.jpg

16 minutes ago, DK said:

I wouldn't be surprised if they are out there. 

About 10 years ago I got these RBI Baseball labels from someone who worked at Tengen. Never seen a roll of licensed labels for sale though.

PXL_20230301_132420037.jpg

So you could do a label swap and technically people can’t say that it is a repro label

16 minutes ago, phart010 said:

So you could do a label swap and technically people can’t say that it is a repro label

They definitely couldn't call it a reproduction label, since these aren't reproductions - they could call it a label swap I suppose.

However, if anyone actually has a roll of original Mega Man NES labels I doubt they are interested in using one to fool/rip off a fellow collector. (I would hope)

1 minute ago, DK said:

They definitely couldn't call it a reproduction label, since these aren't reproductions - they could call it a label swap I suppose.

However, if anyone actually has a roll of original Mega Man NES labels I doubt they are interested in using one to fool/rip off a fellow collector. (I would hope)

It's an odd case.  I think there are many collector's out there that if they found a spool of labels for something like Mega Man, or even some rare game, they'd pay $$$ for it.  However, if there's 500 stickers on that roll, the truth is, they'd probably make more money cutting them up and selling them for $5-100 a pop (depending on the title, of course) because I'm sure there are a lot of collectors out there who would love to rip off their OG, beat up labels and replace them with a real one from the time of production.  Heck, for a semi-common game, I'd consider doing it, but I wouldn't for something like a Stadium Events or Little Samson.  I would for a copy of SMB3, though.