Jump to content
IGNORED

Gamecube game price jumps...


Recommended Posts

Ive been paying attention to a few games on the gamecube and the prices they have recently been going for and it seems within specifically the last month or so they have jumped like crazy. Some Games that used to be dirt cheap are now 100+?! Even some of the more expensive games are jumping pretty rapidly, i bought my copy of Go Go Hypergrind sometime in December for around 130 and now there are several sold listing that have it selling for close to 200? Same goes for other games like pokemon box, one just recently sold CIB for $910... What is causing this sudden price hike?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It’s had a couple spikes in the past but it’s finally starting to get to that point where kids who grew up with it are now nostalgic for it and collecting for it, on top of the normal Nintendo collectors.

It’s not just those games you listed but a ton of games are currently seeing spikes. 
 

Edit: Looks like I was beaten but I agree with Silent Hill.

Edited by DeuceGamer
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Member · Posted

If you were 5-15 years old around 2005, you are now 20-30 years old.  You are out of college and might have expendable income.

I haven't been following the GameCube cycle, but IMHO, it's probably just part of the collector nostalgia cycle.  Might be time to start hoarding PS3/Xbox 360 games!

Start hoarding rare Wii games in about 5 years.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Silent Hill said:

People who now have disposable income grew up with the Gamecube. There's also enough collectors now that games like Rally Championship and Disney Sports Basketball are blowing up. 

im pissed about rally Championship i was so close to buying it for like 50 bucks complete a while back, but i said naw i get it later...🙄

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, RH said:

If you were 5-15 years old around 2005, you are now 20-30 years old.  You are out of college and might have expendable income.

I haven't been following the GameCube cycle, but IMHO, it's probably just part of the collector nostalgia cycle.  Might be time to start hoarding PS3/Xbox 360 games!

Start hoarding rare Wii games in about 5 years.

man, don't encourage that shit

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, cheese said:

im pissed about rally Championship i was so close to buying it for like 50 bucks complete a while back, but i said naw i get it later...🙄

I got most of my GC games when they were relatively cheap but there are definitely a few that I didn’t find a nice copy of that blew up and now I’m probably going to have to get lucky finding them in the wild, or pay up for them. 

Even some of the lower end stuff is starting to see increases so even some of the stuff I wasn’t in a hurry to grab is going to cost more 😞

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Member · Posted
1 minute ago, Nintegageo said:

man, don't encourage that shit

Lol, there's not problem profiting from your hobbies. Especially if you roll those profits back into your own collection.

But I get it.  I won't shoot off a "let's all speculate and turn this into a crypto" thread. 

Wii Dog Football TO DA MOOOOOOON!!!

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It is really rough. Gamecube is the hardest to collect for now than it's ever been. I completed my set about a year ago and there's so many games that have skyrocketed since then. Even go go hypergrind wasn't a hundred dollar game two years ago. It seems to be the most popular system to collect for at the moment for sure. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Administrator · Posted

Thankfully I have all the GameCube games I wanted. I might still pick up Ikaruga, but I've been "considering it" for almost 20 years or whatever it's been since I lost my copy, so it's not a priority. If someone responds to me here like "oh yeah that one got expensive" then I'll probably just never buy it. 

Me, I'm hoping ps2 horror games start to get a bit lower, I'm still missing Kuon (pm me if you have it for sale!). 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Gloves said:

Thankfully I have all the GameCube games I wanted. I might still pick up Ikaruga, but I've been "considering it" for almost 20 years or whatever it's been since I lost my copy, so it's not a priority. If someone responds to me here like "oh yeah that one got expensive" then I'll probably just never buy it. 

Me, I'm hoping ps2 horror games start to get a bit lower, I'm still missing Kuon (pm me if you have it for sale!). 

luckily ikaruga hasnt jumped yet, but i wouldnt be too surprised to see it jump up soon with the direction gamecube is going.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, DeuceGamer said:

Even some of the lower end stuff is starting to see increases so even some of the stuff I wasn’t in a hurry to grab is going to cost more 😞

Ya! its crazy! I was able to get a CIB copy of Grooverider for 6 bucks MINT and now it sells for well over $100. Its not even a good game!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, cheese said:

Ya! its crazy! I was able to get a CIB copy of Grooverider for 6 bucks MINT and now it sells for well over $100. Its not even a good game!

I remember I bought 2 sealed Slot Car Thunders for $10 a piece like 8 years ago thinking it was a sleeper rarity and I would sell when the price exploded.

I finally sold one about 3 years ago for maybe $25 or $30 thinking that would never happen.  Finally did sell that second one for about $175 in the past month though.  I was way too early to the boom apparently.  My interest in Gamecube came and left a long time ago, good luck to those fighting for them. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, cheese said:

im pissed about rally Championship i was so close to buying it for like 50 bucks complete a while back, but i said naw i get it later...🙄

I’m with you on this...... it’s last game I need to finish the set and I’ve passed and passed on it over the years and it’s just gone nuts lately. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I started collecting GC games about 5 years ago building off my original collection which included a copy of Polemon Box. My intent was to get a complete set and I got to roughly 400 titles before stalling out. I have the majority of the rare titles (including a sealed Metriod Prime/Wind Waker) but now wondering if it's worth completing. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ikaruga might be tempered a little bit by the Switch version existing both physical and digital though.

I currently sit around 30 GC games and not bought one in a fairly long while, and I see no reason to.  Now and again I do look at values, and some of them I've noticed have some pretty sickening values I'm glad I've retained (and for GC I keep really very good to like new complete quality stuff as it's on discs.)  Cubivore is a eye popper I've noticed and only seems to track worse for those interested or doing a set.  Even Japan is getting in on the racket as some of those fewer unique titles they got there, they're getting nastier than when I grabbed a few.  When I last picked up Star Soldier, Bonk's Adventure, and Shikigami no Shiro(bigger box) they were notably less than they are now and makes me wish I picked up Takahashi(Adv Island) at that time.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, jonebone said:

I remember I bought 2 sealed Slot Car Thunders for $10 a piece like 8 years ago thinking it was a sleeper rarity and I would sell when the price exploded.

I finally sold one about 3 years ago for maybe $25 or $30 thinking that would never happen.  Finally did sell that second one for about $175 in the past month though.  I was way too early to the boom apparently.  My interest in Gamecube came and left a long time ago, good luck to those fighting for them. 

I remember when you sold me chibi robo for cheap. 😛 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Nintegageo said:

It does?

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2019/11/physical_copies_of_ikaruga_for_nintendo_switch_are_now_in_active_production

Supposedly it does, or will be, as late late year it went into active physical production by Nicalis for Switch (and PS4).  I've got no interest as I still have it on Gamecube, and I have the HDMI external adapter for my system so it would be a waste for me.  But if someone wanted it it's a fair choice.  Given it's a $15 download, I can't see physical being worse than probably $30 for it.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yes it became frustrating to me as I just found out. I grew up in the gamecube/wii era. So tha fully I have most of the games by now that I want to play. Though there are still some first party titles I missed out on, like Paper Mario Thousand Year Door, Chibi Robo, Star Fox Assault, WarioWare. All of these and more have spiked recently. It sucks.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...