IGNORED

Gamecube game price jumps...

I'm honestly surprised that demand for GameCube keeps going up. I mean I love GameCube, I get it, but it's like other stuff hasn't really seen an increase in interest aside from maybe DS games and I would even say there's been a bit of decline in interest for older stuff (N64 and previous). I'm a little annoyed because there are some uncommon GameCube games that I still haven't acquired (Rally, Disney Basketball, Four Swords big box) even though I've been pretty serious about collecting for GameCube over the past couple years. 

I would say part of the reason for the price spikes is that these games are already uncommon compared to say PS2 or Xbox and all the interest over the past few years has started to dry up what you can find in the wild. I'm seeing fewer and fewer GameCube titles on FB Marketplace, Craigslist, etc. And with the increasing interest in collecting I'm seeing more and more "market buyers" (people who post stuff like "just started collecting 2 months ago" and they already have 50 games, like I know you've just been hitting the BIN's on eBay) so that gradually pushes the averages up. 

I still don't consider any of these to be crazy expensive... but I just looked at the chart for Rally Championship. Hoo boy. Low volume but it's like whatever price it gets listed for, someone is going to buy it. 

On 3/9/2020 at 10:04 PM, Tanooki said:

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2019/11/physical_copies_of_ikaruga_for_nintendo_switch_are_now_in_active_production

Supposedly it does, or will be, as late late year it went into active physical production by Nicalis for Switch (and PS4).  I've got no interest as I still have it on Gamecube, and I have the HDMI external adapter for my system so it would be a waste for me.  But if someone wanted it it's a fair choice.  Given it's a $15 download, I can't see physical being worse than probably $30 for it.

Nice.  I was not aware.  As long as the price is $30 or under, that is a day one buy for me.  I usually play the Dreamcast version on my GDEmu, but I would love a physical copy.  

• Like 1

Another possibility is we could be at a peak going into recession. In the past collectibles would increase steadily leading up to a recession, then people liquidate during the hard times bringing the value of collectibles back to a reasonable level. This is not to say Gamecubes base value isn’t increasing, I’m just saying it’s possible that collectibles as a whole are a little inflated and could possibly get corrected if the economic situation doesn’t improve soon