Ausden

2 hours ago, arch_8ngel said:

Sounds like someone never saw the cover for Dark Queen of Krynn...

That's more a sexy warrior princess type than a cute type (I made a separate topic about the different kinds of chicks you might find in quest/rpg type games).

Edited by Estil

7 minutes ago, Estil said:

That's more a sexy warrior princess type than a cute type (I made a separate topic about the different kinds of chicks you might find in quest/rpg type games).

I mean, who wants "cute" when you have a sorceress that looks like she belongs on the cover of Heavy Metal?

• 2 weeks later...

Ultima III is kicking my arse, it's been a very tough learning experience. I've never played an RPG where increasing your level increases your HP and no other stats while the levels of the monsters you fight do continue to increase. It has a lot of quirks, as does the NES port itself (pressing select to open the second page of your command menu?).

Still, I'm getting to grips with it now. I have a boat which has made combat a lot easier since I can funnel enemies down the two planks and I created 4 new characters to farm Gold from low levels monsters to pass on to my main party members. I did try my hand at one of the caves (the cave of fire) but had to retreat after making my way through a good chunk of the 1st floor.

I also ended up in Ambrosia with no way to return at one point (no magic keys at the time) and ended up resetting. I do have the keys now and nearly have the cash so I'll be picking up the flower to give to the girl to get the amulet that can transport you back to Lord British's castle, and then work on increasing my stats at the shrines.

Then I can try my hand at some of the caves again.

I’ve had Ultimate 1-6 collecting dust in my backlog for years now. I’ve heard only good things about the series, but I’m hesitant to start any of the, because I feel like I need to but a lot of time into each game on a different level from games like Dragon Quest. With DQ I feel like I can stop at any point and pick it back up months from now and be ok, but not with the Ultima series.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cepp said:

Ultima III is kicking my arse, it's been a very tough learning experience. I've never played an RPG where increasing your level increases your HP and no other stats while the levels of the monsters you fight do continue to increase. It has a lot of quirks, as does the NES port itself (pressing select to open the second page of your command menu?).

Figuring how how the grinding works in Ultima is a really steep curve compared to other classic RPGs, IMO.

I don't think I've beaten any Ultima games other than Pagan, and it was much more conventional than the classics.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, arch_8ngel said:

Figuring how how the grinding works in Ultima is a really steep curve compared to other classic RPGs, IMO.

I don't think I've beaten any Ultima games other than Pagan, and it was much more conventional than the classics.

Yeah it's tough, almost obtuse. The series is a bit of a blindspot for me as well, but that's one of the reasons I wanted to play this really.

13 hours ago, Ausden said:

I’ve had Ultimate 1-6 collecting dust in my backlog for years now. I’ve heard only good things about the series, but I’m hesitant to start any of the, because I feel like I need to but a lot of time into each game on a different level from games like Dragon Quest. With DQ I feel like I can stop at any point and pick it back up months from now and be ok, but not with the Ultima series.

You know I was wondering if I should give the Ultima games a go.  Of course if they're not on a major console like the NES and were only released on home computers of the day then I'm SOL.

1 hour ago, Estil said:

You know I was wondering if I should give the Ultima games a go.  Of course if they're not on a major console like the NES and were only released on home computers of the day then I'm SOL.

Grab them on GOG. They can run on any computer, so it’s not like you need anything build within the last 10-15 years.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Ausden said:

Grab them on GOG. They can run on any computer, so it’s not like you need anything build within the last 10-15 years.

Definitely GoG gets so much of that old stuff running quite well.  In not all but many of the cases the games are just preinstalled raw with a dosbox config file and app itself to run it so you could even in theory lift the game into a real DOS environment if so desired.  They rarely charge much for the much much older stuff like that too since it still needs to compete against the rest.  Odds are those games did come with maps, books, etc, and they've likely scanned them into PDF format which is really handy.  You could play the games in windows in a windowed mode, then on another space of your screen have that map/book up as a reference since it's not in hand.

• Like 1

Made some good progress in Ultima III. I managed to grind enough gold to increase most of my needed stats which made the overworld enemies a lot easier. I purchased some horses and picked up a few key quest items, including the Silver Pick from the bottom of the Cave of Death, which certainly lives up to its name. I almost wiped on the 7th floor and resorted to spinning around on the spot, in the dark, so I could regenerate my MP without getting into another encounter, cure everyone of poison, heal my entire party and have enough MP to use the Surface spell to teleport back to the surface the moment I picked up the Silver Pick.

Looking at how some of my characters stats max out at 50 and 75, I wish I'd chosen different races for some of them now. Your character's race puts a hard limit on how much certain stats can be increased, making some more and less suited to each profession. I'm not starting over though so I'll make do.

It's probably time I levelled my characters past level 5 now. You need the Mark of Kings to do so and increase your HP beyond 550 and I do have that after finding it in the Cave of Gold. Some of the dungeon monsters really pack a punch so the extra HP would be welcome.

I just hope I don't get curb stomped by the stronger enemies that will generate.

Edited by Cepp

Editorials Team · Posted
On 4/30/2020 at 8:08 PM, Estil said:

All 3 Ultimas on SNES are worth playing IMO.  Not to say 2 of them aren't compromised in some way (many ways in VII's case...) but it's all relative.

18 minutes ago, Estil said:

How many of the Ultimas got a console release?  

Ultima 3 (Exodus), 4 (Quest of the Avatar) and 5 (Warriors of Destiny) were on NES. Don't play Warriors, it's terrible (the computer version is fine, the NES version is glitched to shit.) I think Quest had a SMS release, too.

Exodus was actually the first (North American) NES RPG, it beat Dragon Warrior by a couple of months.

6 (The False Prophet) and 7 (The Black Gate) were on Super NES, and Runes of Virture 2 had SNES and Gameboy releases (Runes 1 had a Gameboy only release.)

Edited by Tulpa
  • Like 1

I've been toying with the idea of obtaining a full RPG NES set recently. It's hard to justify the cost that Warriors of Destiny goes for though, considering how pants it's supposed to be heh.

That SMS release of IV is extremely good apparently. I really want to try it.

Ultima III: Exodus is complete.

I forgot that the final boss is the floor lol.gif I should really rewatch Spoony's videos on the series.

The game has definitely aged in a lot of parts, which is to be expected; it is a CRPG from 1983 afterall. I can only imagine how long the game would have taken had I not resorted to using guides here and there and mapped out the dungeons myself.

My next playthrough should be a lot quicker with a much stonger party now that I understand the game's mechanics better.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Gaia Gensouki said:

Congratulations @Cepp! Don't forget to crosspost this to the NES completions thread.

Do you have some pieces of advice for someone who might want to tackle this game in the future?

Already done 😄 

My advice is don't level anyone up until everyone has 400EXP (you level up by speaking with Lord British) and explore the nearest dungeon to the north east of the castle to get the Mark of Kings. Give ranged weapons to everyone that can use them and increase your mages INT stat and your Cleric's WIS stat as soon as you can to learn stronger spells. Increasing stats requires a lot of gold and the easiest/quickest way to do that imo, is to keep creating new characters who all start with 100g each and just siphon that that money from them to your main party.

When your cleric has 40MP she learns the Surface spell which really helps when you're 6 floors deep in a dungeon with no health or food.

I played through ff7 again and I am standing in front of the crater. I think I have found my fun. I remember well how the story ends and it was more about the journey for me this go around. I'll watch the ending when the ff7 remake is fully released and I have the opportunity to play it.

Love FF7. It really is my favorite story in any video game, cliche as that may seem now. In my opinion, the story is flawless.

• Like 1