Ausden

Oh cool, I didn't realize there was an RPG thread!  Like I said in another topic I've finally gotten around to giving my PS3/PS4 some love and I'm currently working on Final Fantasy X on PS3 and Final Fantasy 12 on PS4...and yes a few years ago I did both on their original PS2 versions of course.

Hopefully I can soon get the PS3 versions of Kingdom Hearts 1 & 2...and YES those too I also had already done the original PS2 versions.  I think that will help me better appreciate the changes/differences between the originals and these remakes.

And I do in fact enjoy collecting the trophies (I doubt I'll ever score a platinum though) and I hope there's one for (hee hee) getting all the puff puffs in Dragon Quest 11 😄  Isn't there one chick that gives you a fake puff puff (uses a couple of Slimes instead of her, eh, you know...*wink wink*)?

EDIT: There IS in fact a bronze trophy you get for getting puff puffs from all the chicks 😄 

Edited by Estil
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, ErickRPG said:

My Dad and I played Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance together years ago.  I bought both Champions Return to Arms and Dark Alliance 2 and playing Champions now.  It IS addictive.

Some of my fondest video game memories are playing Baldur's Gate years ago!  Been tempted to dive back in.

• Like 1

Editorials Team · Posted
10 hours ago, Ausden said:

I purchased a portion of the Kingdom Hearts series, but have yet still to play. The backlog is seriously heavy. 

Min regards to PS3 RPGs; I have 3D Dot Heroes calling my name. That one will be next in line to play. 

Anyone recommend a few RPGs on the PS3?

Dragon Age

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, ErickRPG said:

My Dad and I played Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance together years ago.  I bought both Champions Return to Arms and Dark Alliance 2 and playing Champions now.  It IS addictive.

My wife and I played both of these to completion way back in the day, before kids. Good times. We tried playing Diablo 3 together a couple years ago, but it wasn't the same.

I'm not sure some would consider it fair to count it in an RPG section but that released yesterday Dragon Quest to the Stars game for mobile is a pretty standard Dragon Quest game with some basic gatcha like option added in.  The game can be entirely freely played without being hammered (so far into Ch2 of it at least.)  It's still turn based, still have to get all sorts of weapons/armors, pick a class to develop into or overlap between, etc.

On 2/25/2020 at 11:39 PM, Reed Rothchild said:

If you like the BGDA and Champions game, Fallout Brotherhood of Steel is another game in the exact same vein.  It got pretty trashed, but I thought it was alright.

Haha thanks, if I ever beat all of the others I'll look into it.  But I do have a big backlog of amazing RPGs all the way from snes to Switch so probably never, lol.

9 hours ago, Tanooki said:

I'm not sure some would consider it fair to count it in an RPG section but that released yesterday Dragon Quest to the Stars game for mobile is a pretty standard Dragon Quest game with some basic gatcha like option added in.  The game can be entirely freely played without being hammered (so far into Ch2 of it at least.)  It's still turn based, still have to get all sorts of weapons/armors, pick a class to develop into or overlap between, etc.

No it does not count.

7 hours ago, Tanooki said:

Bah, might want to actually try it before you condemn it.  Other than dropping the random wandering on the map stuff, the game plays out like a dragon quest title which even surprised me.

I can't imagine a little phone game could be anywhere near as big and epic as a real RPG on a real system.  And what good would it do to get attached to the game that will just disappear in a few years?

I started playing 7th saga on my Super NT.  Damn do I love those high res pixels and scanlines.  And I think I'm going to start Xenogears on my PSP even though I do have the disc and PSOne LCD.  Xenosaga is the type of game I might appreciate the SLEEP MODE of the PSP!

Edited by ErickRPG

1 hour ago, Estil said:

I can't imagine a little phone game could be anywhere near as big and epic as a real RPG on a real system.  And what good would it do to get attached to the game that will just disappear in a few years?

Your loss, and actually surprisingly enough the little phone can do it all.  Multiple Final Fantasy games up through #9 and Dragon Quest 1-8 are on iOS and Android and run excellent, as is Chrono Trigger and Secret of Mana from Square Enix alone.  Might want to do a little digging before condemning and I'm only pointing out console/ds ports too, there's far more.  Sure a lot of crap to sift through but there are some notables.

My favorites:

Chrono Trigger: (beat it earlier last year and was super stoked)

Shining Force: (Played this with my dad as a kid and the memories are what makes this game special for me)

Links Awakening: (Probably my all time favorite Zelda game, since it’s the one I probably dedicated the most time to as a kid)

LoZ: (I JUST beat this game last month... after 23 years since my first sit down with it as a kid!)

*** this next one is the one I consider to be the bane of my existence. It’s one of the few games I actually owned as a kid and never beat... that fact still haunts me to this day... I have the game buried somewhere in my dads attic and I’m now inspired to find it and beat the hell out of it after writing this post***

Elemental Gimmick Gear (EGG) for Dreamcast!

On 2/28/2020 at 8:33 PM, Tanooki said:

Your loss, and actually surprisingly enough the little phone can do it all.  Multiple Final Fantasy games up through #9 and Dragon Quest 1-8 are on iOS and Android and run excellent, as is Chrono Trigger and Secret of Mana from Square Enix alone.  Might want to do a little digging before condemning and I'm only pointing out console/ds ports too, there's far more.  Sure a lot of crap to sift through but there are some notables.

I bet they pull shenanigans though like making you pay for save spaces in Tales of Phantasia that the original game already included.  Not to mention the lack of real buttons.

Actually no they're either direct SNES/DS ports or they took the old games and just redid the graphics to a more mobile modern style 2D visuals which seem to work.  They just have you pay once for the game, you get it all, no tricks.  The time they did that with FF was the FF4 After Years stuff which ticked off plenty, so then they just released the whole game on mobile and PSP format for a flat price.  And yeah if you're not using a bluetooth device, it's touch, but they're made for buttons still.

• 3 weeks later...

From the makers of The Messenger. It's basically already been funded after 24 hours. Estimated digital release is 2022, no physical version mentioned. They know how to make a game, realistic release date, video and concept art on the Kickstarter, no stretch goals or random physical goodies to distract developers. Go support it.

• Like 1

Final Fantasy games on sale now on the eshop

Picked up 7 and 9.  I don't think I have time to play thru the full game before the remake comes out, but I was at least thinking of running thru the Midgaurd section of FF7 (which is like the first 6-8 hours)