Ausden

My answer: FF6, Bravely Default, Fallout New Vegas, Kingdom Hearts 2 and 3, off the top of my head. I used to play an obscene amount of Runescape when I was younger.

Right now I’m craving a good western RPG. I’m feeling nostalgic so I’m deciding between something like Baldur’s Gate or Neverwinter Nights.

I should join this thread.  Lost Odyssey is great I'm currently on disc 3 I think but I took a long break and haven't played it in months.  I'm currently playing Lunar SSSC (3rd time) Paper Jam, and Tokyo Mirage Sessions.  There will be a little RPG drought on Switch until Late March so hopefully I can beat some of my other games then.

• Like 1

Wait a sec, how many Star Oceans are we up to now?  I played the one on SNES which I think is tied with Tales of Phantasia for biggest SNES game (a whopping SIX megabytes!!).  I still think the multi disc PS1 games are much more interesting because that was the first truly successful disc based system and just one disc was about 10x the space of even the biggest N64 games...and when you're doing 3-4 disc blue chip RPGs (or even the two disc ones) like the Final Fantasies you know you're in for a major epic quest that will truly give you your money's worth!  And just like in the movies decades prior, the PS1 made "talkies" (games with spoken dialog) the norm rather than the very rare exception (and even then you'll only get maybe one line of speech).

I guess I learn something new most everyday...just like when I found out that flammable and inflammable are the same thing! 😄

Edited by Estil

12 minutes ago, Estil said:

Wait a sec, how many Star Oceans are we up to now? 

[snip]

And just like in the movies decades prior, the PS1 made "talkies" (games with spoken dialog) the norm rather than the very rare exception (and even then you'll only get maybe one line of speech).

I guess I learn something new most everyday...just like when I found out that flammable and inflammable are the same thing! 😄

According to the wiki for Star Ocean: "Of the six games in the series, five have been released outside Japan" .  Star Ocean: Blue Sphere for the GBC was never released here

And yeah, Lost Odyssey has a ton of spoken dialogue ..makes for lots of cool movie cutsences

My favorite Star Ocean's might be the less popular choice.  But I like the one on 360/PS3 (Last Hope I think?) and the PS4 one.  Integrity and Faithlessness?

I did play Star Ocean Second Story a long long time ago when it was new on PS1.  Got really far not sure if I beat it.  And liked it, but because of it's vastness and "chose your party" thing (I hate choices lol) I don't know if I'll ever go back to it.

I haven't played very many RPGs in my lifetime, but the ones I have played are among some of my favorites for the systems they were on. 

• Vandal Hearts (PS1)
  • Paper Mario (N64)
  • Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door (GameCube)

I've played through Vandal Hearts more times than I can count.  Unfortunately, I could never get into the sequel.  They made to many changes to the gameplay and I just didn't enjoy it. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TDIRunner said:

I haven't played very many RPGs in my lifetime, but the ones I have played are among some of my favorites for the systems they were on. 

• Vandal Hearts (PS1)
  • Paper Mario (N64)

I've played through Vandal Hearts more times than I can count.  Unfortunately, I could never get into the sequel.  They made to many changes to the gameplay and I just didn't enjoy it. 

Damn you picked some good ones.  Vandal Hearts 2 wasn't anywhere near as good as the first.  I still remember loving Vandal Hearts.  It had the coveted "class up" system.  And of course that squirting blood was eerily satisfying.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, ErickRPG said:

Damn you picked some good ones.  Vandal Hearts 2 wasn't anywhere near as good as the first.  I still remember loving Vandal Hearts.  It had the coveted "class up" system.  And of course that squirting blood was eerily satisfying.

Amazing sound.  Amazing music.  Amazing story.  I won't say the graphics were amazing, but they were still enjoyable to look at and yes, the blood was awesome too.

The craziest thing about Vandal Hearts is that I probably played through the game completely about a dozen times over a period of close to 20 years and I never knew about the extra "class" that Ash could achieve.  When I learned about it a few years ago, it was almost like finding a new version of the game with extra levels (and challenging levels too).  Great time.

I know there was another Vandal Hearts game on the PS3 (digital only), but I've never had a chance to play it.  

21 minutes ago, ErickRPG said:

yeah don't waste your time.  The original is the only one worth it IMO.  Have you thought about trying some other RPGs?  There are definitely a lot of masterpieces out there.

I want to, but the problem I have is that most of them require a huge investment of time because I want to have a good understanding of the gameplay, strategy and story line.  It's easy to pickup Vandal Hearts again and know what I'm doing from the start.  It's a whole other thing to pickup a new game and start from zero.  I know that's sort of the point with playing new games, but sometimes I don't have the time or energy to do it.  That's why I tend to revisit the same games over and over again (not just RPGs, but all games).  It's definitely a goal of mine to start branching out more, especially with the size of the library of games I have.  

7 hours ago, ErickRPG said:

My favorite Star Ocean's might be the less popular choice.  But I like the one on 360/PS3 (Last Hope I think?) and the PS4 one.  Integrity and Faithlessness?

I did play Star Ocean Second Story a long long time ago when it was new on PS1.  Got really far not sure if I beat it.  And liked it, but because of it's vastness and "chose your party" thing (I hate choices lol) I don't know if I'll ever go back to it.

I recently finished the second story in about 25 hours. It's vast, but not excessively long. 

4 hours ago, ErickRPG said:

but were you thorough?

For the most part. You can replay it multiple times, since if you choose Ashton, you lock out Opera and Ernest, and if you go with the Claude storyline, you lock out Dias. As far as regular unlockables, secrets, hidden cutscenes, yes, i Got those.

On 1/31/2020 at 11:43 AM, ErickRPG said:

Thanks.  I own it for PSP.  Maybe I'll give it another go some time.  But I'm playing Switch, PS1, and Sega Nomad right now.  So much later down the road.  😄

If you have the choice, i would go with the playstation version. I've played the psp version as well, and the added voice acting is pretty bad. Other than that it basically is a carbon copy port of the ps1 version. Still a great game.

2 hours ago, Kguillemette said:

If you have the choice, i would go with the playstation version. I've played the psp version as well, and the added voice acting is pretty bad. Other than that it basically is a carbon copy port of the ps1 version. Still a great game.

I def favor the PSP due to portablility, comfort, and the sleep/hibernate mode.  I can stop at any time, and pick it up instantly.  I do have a PS1 w/LCD screen but I'll play the PSP version.

On 10/22/2019 at 7:57 PM, Ausden said:

Let’s discuss all things RPGs and Strategy games. Who loves them?

Present! I do love me a good RPG to sink my teeth into once in a while. Most recently was on a Pokemon kick (and no not Sword/Shield... as I don't own a Switch atm :classic_sad:)

Which system had the best ones?

it's a pretty close race between SNES and PS1 imo... and as much as I am a Nintendo Fanboy and SNES has some of my all time favs (and my # most fav game) on it... I think for RPGs that goes to PS1

Favorite series?

Paper Mario Series.

Top 10 all time?

Super Mario RPG (#1 all time favorite game)
Paper Mario TTYD
Pokemon HG/SS
Skyrim
Legend of Mana
Final Fantasy 9
Final Fantasy 11
Pokemon XD
Legend of Dragoon
Disgaea 2

Which ones do you love/hate?

Shout outs to Castle Crashers... it has its RPG stuff and I love it to bits buuuuuuuuuuut it's not very RPG esque otherwise lol

Never could get into .hack, though my brother did love those games.

Also shout-outs too Mega Man Command Mission, Final Fantasy 12 and Final Fantasy Tactics, #s 11 12 and 13 easily

Also anyone here familiar with a game Thousand Arms? like I mean actually played it? lol

• Like 1

On 1/29/2020 at 7:45 AM, TDIRunner said:

• Vandal Hearts (PS1)
  • Paper Mario (N64)

I liked a lot of stuff about the second but the battle system was truly wretched.  Also, while the story line was engaging it got old (since you knew it already and there as no way toavoid the excessive dialogue interludes) on subsequent replays.

I did like  the large battlefields and the use of the we?apons etc to store spells.  And how can you go wrong with a magic spell called "Grave Stench".  I really liked the block making abilility when you got it - I had more fun building walls, stairwells, forts, etc than I did with the battles themselves.

The strategy guide for the second was perhaps the best for a game - it was full color with all the battlefields and pretty much everything was covered in it.

On ‎10‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 10:43 PM, ThePhleo said:

90s JRPGs are better than 90s WRPGs.

Modern WRPGs are better than Modern JRPGs.

The last JRPG I remember loving for example, was Final Fantasy X. But the first WRPG I remember falling in love with was Elder Scrolls III.

OMG you are crazy. Then again, I just prefer WRPGs to JRPGs, but you might be forgetting a lot of amazing PC games that came out in the 90s. A few of the greatest games ever were from the 90s:

Ultima VII

Wizardry VII

Daggerfall

Might and Magic VI

Everquest

Give me any of those over Chrono Trigger or FF7.

On 1/29/2020 at 10:40 AM, TDIRunner said:

I want to, but the problem I have is that most of them require a huge investment of time because I want to have a good understanding of the gameplay, strategy and story line.  It's easy to pickup Vandal Hearts again and know what I'm doing from the start.  It's a whole other thing to pickup a new game and start from zero.  I know that's sort of the point with playing new games, but sometimes I don't have the time or energy to do it.  

You might want to give Nectaris for the PS1 a try.  It is a strategy game as opposed to an SRPG with fairly simple mechanics that have a surprising amount of depth in terms of the strategy.  It is the only military strategy game i can think of  where traditional line tactics will not work - the AI rips lines into swiss cheese. No storyline - just one battle after another with different challenges in each one - just be sure to shut off the battle animations since they are pretty boring and really slow the gameplay  a lot.  The game isn't all that expensive and you get 108 scenarios which makes for one of the best PS1 bargains out there.  In addition once you beat the main scenarions (64) you get access to the remaining ones and you can access any of them for repeat plays of your favorites to try different strategies.  (The game is an enhancement of the old Hucard game "Military Madness" (which is included on the PS1 version)).

Edited by Wandering Tellurian
  • Like 1