Jump to content
IGNORED

Intermittent Fasting - anyone tried it?


Boosted52405
 Share

Recommended Posts

Hey guys - so am jumping into the arena of Intermittent Fasting.  Has anyone else tried it?

A bit of background - I'm bigger than I've ever been and my blood pressure is starting to trend in the wrong direction.  In addition, I sincerely want to lose weight and have been reading about this for the last week or so. 

Today is day 1, I'm doing the standard 16:8 fast with water only for 16 hours (8pm - 12pm), following by an 8 hour eat window.

This scheduling of eating gives your digestive system a break, lowers blood insulin levels, and pushes an estimated 4-hour fat burn session before breaking your fast (after stored carbs and things are consumed first).  From what I have been reading, it can be extremely effective for losing weight and lowering blood pressure, along with a bunch of other stuff like reducing body inflammation etc.  I don't think I'm ready to get into the macro counting/timing yet, but understand the key is to stay at a caloric deficit each day, but can consume that allotted amount mindfully in the 8 hour window.  Mindful in the sense of not gorging on junk food :).

Anybody else tried it?  Am I blatantly off on anything shared above?  I'm new to this but genuinely want to give it a fair try, would love feedback.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This worked for me in addition to restricting what I DID eat during the window, and adding exercise. I lost 50 pounds in about 7 months. I say it's definitely worth a shot, but you'll see even quicker results if you can find some time to exercise.

Good luck!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I tried it a while ago. Didn’t seem to do much. However, I recently realized that I have accidentally started again, and it might be having good results. I work second shift so my breakfast happens later. If I eat after work, I gain weight. If I don’t I’m good. (I have a small snack after work often, but no more night time sandwiches and the like)

My biggest tip is weigh yourself every day at the same time (right before or after bed is good) and keep track, whether in an app or a paper on the wall. Take note of what you did and ate each day. Experiment by the week, and see what trends become apparent. This way you can discover what works for you, instead of chasing theories and not getting anywhere (this is happening to a IRL friend who’s blogging about it.)

I was about ten pounds more than I wanted to be, but I told myself it’s fine, I don’t have to be a model or whatever. Then I saw I was ten pounds more, and I told myself that’s just part of aging. Then I was ten pounds more over again, and I started feeling bad. I wasn’t super happy how I looked to begin with, and getting worse.

When I couldn’t have my usual breakfast because we were out of something, the next day I was down two pounds. Never would have known without the daily check. Same thing happened the next day and the next. I dropped all of that 30 pounds I didn’t want and then some, and have kept it off for nine months. 

I think diet changes (3 significant ones for me) are a bigger part for me, but that the intermittent concept is still a factor.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, CodysGameRoom said:

This worked for me in addition to restricting what I DID eat during the window, and adding exercise. I lost 50 pounds in about 7 months. I say it's definitely worth a shot, but you'll see even quicker results if you can find some time to exercise.

Good luck!

Mind if I ask, was it a 16:8 schedule?  Curious if it becomes harder over time.  50 pounds is significant!!!

Totally agree with the exercising, cannot wait for it to get a bit warmer I'll be hitting the streets catching Pokemon :).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Boosted52405 said:

Mind if I ask, was it a 16:8 schedule?  Curious if it becomes harder over time.  50 pounds is significant!!!

Totally agree with the exercising, cannot wait for it to get a bit warmer I'll be hitting the streets catching Pokemon :).

Yes, however my schedule was 10 am - 6 pm, since I get up early and go to bed as such. Obviously what I ate as well. Stopped with the soda, fast food, and frozen pizza. That and the exercise. PoGo is a great way to get some! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Link said:

I tried it a while ago. Didn’t seem to do much. However, I recently realized that I have accidentally started again, and it might be having good results. I work second shift so my breakfast happens later. If I eat after work, I gain weight. If I don’t I’m good. (I have a small snack after work often, but no more night time sandwiches and the like)

My biggest tip is weigh yourself every day at the same time (right before or after bed is good) and keep track, whether in an app or a paper on the wall. Take note of what you did and ate each day. Experiment by the week, and see what trends become apparent. This way you can discover what works for you, instead of chasing theories and not getting anywhere (this is happening to a IRL friend who’s blogging about it.)

I was about ten pounds more than I wanted to be, but I told myself it’s fine, I don’t have to be a model or whatever. Then I saw I was ten pounds more, and I told myself that’s just part of aging. Then I was ten pounds more over again, and I started feeling bad. I wasn’t super happy how I looked to begin with, and getting worse.

When I couldn’t have my usual breakfast because we were out of something, the next day I was down two pounds. Never would have known without the daily check. Same thing happened the next day and the next. I dropped all of that 30 pounds I didn’t want and then some, and have kept it off for nine months. 

I think diet changes (3 significant ones for me) are a bigger part for me, but that the intermittent concept is still a factor.

This is a good perspective, thanks.  From a dietary standpoint, my biggest victory if I can stick to this is not eating before bedtime.  I'm also really going to be mindful of what I eat and would certainly like to try and monitor trends to see how my body reacts.  Unfortunately for me, the diets where I had to cut significant things I fizzle out over time and I struggle to stick to them.

Another struggle will be caffeine.  I do have a problem with it, although I know soda of all varieties is really not good.  I've been reading that diet pop can be more addictive than regular pop and potentially cause weight gains with some with the artificial stuff.  Never been a coffee or tea guy, but black coffee and unsweetened tea can be enjoyed during fasting and possibly help with the caffeine...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, Boosted52405 said:

Unfortunately for me, the diets where I had to cut significant things I fizzle out over time and I struggle to stick to them.

It's literally the hardest part and having the willpower is extremely difficult. 

 

22 minutes ago, Boosted52405 said:

Never been a coffee or tea guy, but black coffee and unsweetened tea can be enjoyed during fasting and possibly help with the caffeine...

I learned to love unsweetened ice tea, that, black coffee, and water is all I drink now. It does grow on you... well, for me it did. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Should that not work for you, maybe try some lifestyle tweaks instead?   Let's say you eat 4 pieces of pizza a sitting.  Perhaps try 3?    Drink 2 sodas a day?   Try replacing one with water?

Maybe take the stairs instead of an elevator once a day?

Rome wasn't built in a day, and being honest you're better off losing 30 pounds over 6 months rather than 30 pounds in a month if you want to be more successful at keeping it off.

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I tried intermittent fasting, but I found it still very challenging.  Right now, my wife and I are implementing a plant-based diet.  So far, it's been really good.  

 

20 minutes ago, CodysGameRoom said:

I learned to love unsweetened ice tea, that, black coffee, and water is all I drink now. It does grow on you... well, for me it did. 

Yes.  Keep a big jug of unsweetened black tea in the fridge.  It's a great go-to for some flavor and caffeine.  Also, if you like hot tea, I highly recommend a Zojirushi water boiler.  They're about $125 on Amazon, but they keep a pot of water near boiling so you can have hot tea to drink instantly.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, captmorgandrinker said:

Should that not work for you, maybe try some lifestyle tweaks instead?   Let's say you eat 4 pieces of pizza a sitting.  Perhaps try 3?    Drink 2 sodas a day?   Try replacing one with water?

Maybe take the stairs instead of an elevator once a day?

Rome wasn't built in a day, and being honest you're better off losing 30 pounds over 6 months rather than 30 pounds in a month if you want to be more successful at keeping it off.

 

Good advice, I like it.  And definitely I agree, certainly trying to make progressive lifestyle changes alongside the intermittent fasting.  Two things I've been notoriously bad about is low water consumption (it's just blah i tell ya) and late night snacking.  This trial should help significantly in both of those areas.  Being more active is a top 3 goal too which should help too.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, captmorgandrinker said:

Should that not work for you, maybe try some lifestyle tweaks instead?   Let's say you eat 4 pieces of pizza a sitting.  Perhaps try 3?    Drink 2 sodas a day?   Try replacing one with water?

I'm always shocked to find out just how much soda (or other sugary beverages) some people drink.

There are quite a lot of people that could cut 750+ calories per day by just cutting out soda entirely. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yeah, soda is so bad for you.  I try to limit myself to a couple a week, making them a treat instead of a habit.  Even then, I don't always feel great afterward!  The carbonation messes with my dietary tract, and the high fructose corn syrup is an abomination.  Even if you have one with real sugar in it, it's still processed sugar, and the body hates that.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Boosted52405 said:

Good advice, I like it.  And definitely I agree, certainly trying to make progressive lifestyle changes alongside the intermittent fasting.  Two things I've been notoriously bad about is low water consumption (it's just blah i tell ya) and late night snacking.  This trial should help significantly in both of those areas.  Being more active is a top 3 goal too which should help too.

Even if you can't get used to plain water, unsweetened iced tea is a big step up, plus if it's something like green/black tea perhaps some health benefits?

Again, doesn't have to be an all or nothing plan.  Late night snack every night?   Try to either not do it one night or cut back your snack portion (or switch it to a piece of fruit or whatever.

Also, make sure you're pouring your snacks into a bowl or on a plate instead of eating out of the package.   Helps to see how much you're consuming.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

First of all, let me say congrats on the lifestyle change. I wish you the absolute best and hope you are able to get as healthy as you want to be. 

That being said, the intermittent fasting trend is one of the more amusing diet fads I've seen in a while. I'm not saying it doesn't work because it absolutely does. Weight loss is a math problem. If you burn more calories than you consume, you will lose weight. That doesn't make it easy, but it does make it simple. Therefore, if you only eat for 8 hours a day, you will most likely take in significantly less calories than if you eat for 16 hours a day. All the ketosis mumbo jumbo is true, but it only accounts for a tiny percent of the success of these diets. It's the decreased calorie consumption that actually makes the biggest difference.

Its really more of an interesting study on humanity if you think about. We like to play this type of mind game to accomplish our goals. It's similar to how some people pay off debts one at a time because it makes them feel better to lower the number of accounts owed, even if it makes no sense from a financial and mathematic standpoint.

Anyways, I really hope you do well with this. If you have a lot of success, consider calculating how many calories you're consuming per day. You can then spread that amount out over 16 hours and not have to feel like you're starving yourself for 8 hours per day. But to each his own. 😁

Edit: Also as a simple tip, many studies have shown that just by tracking how many calories you eat per day, you will likely lose weight. This is probably due to the accountability that is required, so you could also consider it a mind game, but it does work. It also gives you a concrete number to adjust and goal to shoot for.

Edited by DoctorEncore
  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Editorials Team · Posted

I did this on accident while I was counting calories, since I can skip breakfast no problem. Now I don't really count anymore, but if I do all my eating between noon and 8, good things happen.

I get that it's hard to credit the fasting when I skip breakfast and thus intake fewer calories, but I swear there's a Calorie Multiplier in effect when I eat right before bedtime. If I eat a normal dinner a couple hours later than usual, I don't lose weight. Eat dinner and stop all eating after 8? Weight goes down. I don't have good data to PROVE that the calories are the same, but my armchair analysis is that there's definitely a score multiplier, and the minmaxer in me comes out.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Splain said:

I did this on accident while I was counting calories, since I can skip breakfast no problem. Now I don't really count anymore, but if I do all my eating between noon and 8, good things happen.

I get that it's hard to credit the fasting when I skip breakfast and thus intake fewer calories, but I swear there's a Calorie Multiplier in effect when I eat right before bedtime. If I eat a normal dinner a couple hours later than usual, I don't lose weight. Eat dinner and stop all eating after 8? Weight goes down. I don't have good data to PROVE that the calories are the same, but my armchair analysis is that there's definitely a score multiplier, and the minmaxer in me comes out.

As I understand, our digestive systems work slower when in bed/sleeping, perhaps that is a factor.  This is great though, glad to hear and it encourages me to stop eating at 8 which is probably my largest mental challenge.

More to come after the long weekend, I've only completed the cycle once thus far *fingers crossed* :).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Editorials Team · Posted
9 minutes ago, Boosted52405 said:

As I understand, our digestive systems work slower when in bed/sleeping, perhaps that is a factor.  This is great though, glad to hear and it encourages me to stop eating at 8 which is probably my largest mental challenge.

It's hard, but it gets easier. Maintaining a good streak can be a motivator, keep the streak going!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I lost 10 pounds intermittent fasting. Basically I skip breakfast, drink coffee at 10 am, eat lunch around noon. Do a light exercise every day (30 min) and try not to overdo it on junk food... though I do eat ice cream some times.

I try to eat fruit and vegetables with lunch and dinner. It's low calorie filler. Makes you feel full. After 8pm no more food. 

Edited by dougeff
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, DoctorEncore said:

Weight loss is a math problem. If you burn more calories than you consume, you will lose weight. That doesn't make it easy, but it does make it simple. Therefore, if you only eat for 8 hours a day, you will most likely take in sig

Geez, it’s like you’re a real doctor or something. I thought you just tossed pills at cartoon viruses. Well thank you for sharing, Dr Mario... if that IS your real name!

 

4 hours ago, DoctorEncore said:

just by tracking how many calories you eat per day, you will likely lose weight. This is probably due to the accountability that is required, so you could also consider it a mind game, but it does work. It also gives you a concrete number to adjust and goal to shoot for.

This is very true. But I have trouble with it, because I cook most of my food myself. It’s difficult to calculate when everything isn’t packaged to the serving (I eyeball, I’m not going to weigh out my diced onion), or sometimes not marked at all (fresh produce and butcher meat). Of course, that has other benefits. You know what you’ve got, and you can avoid hidden sugars and HF corn syrup by choosing other brands or products. They’ll put sugar in anything. Tomato sauce. Peanut butter. Rice krispies. Vegetable broth! Come on!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

One of the biggest things that helped lower my blood pressure, was cutting out as much sugar as possible. The only acceptable form of sugar is what is naturally in fruit. Not saying I don’t have a cookie or soda every now and then. I just no longer make it a daily habit. 

Another thing that people don’t like hearing is you should cut out alcohol or at least limit it. Alcohol has an effect your blood pressure and will slow your weight loss goals. 

One other thing I will add. Don’t think of this as a diet. This has to be lifestyle change. Once you get use to eating better it gets easier. 

Edited by themisfit138
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...