IGNORED

Intermittent Fasting - anyone tried it?

Boosted52405

On 2/16/2020 at 11:01 PM, Quest4Nes said:

I count carbs in general. I dont eat bread. I dontt eat pasta. I dont eat potatos

I dont snack much, but if i do its some sun flower kernals, cheddar cheese sticks, or some pepperoni.

I drink diet mountain dew or diet dr pepper. Its not any more addicting than normal soda. I try to mix in some water. The sugar in drinking regular soda if you drink it will set you back so much from a carbs/calorie perspective. They arent worth it. 

I mainly eat meat and a vegetable. I eat a steak 2-3 times a week.

Slow cook a roast with carrots and green besns(miss the potatos in that one lol)

Stir fry some chicken and broccoli.

In a pinch ill go to whataburger and order just a few beef patties and some cheese.

My go to take to work meals are hamburger meat all chopped up and cooked with some sprinkle cheese and sour cream. Ill buy a huge pack of hamburger(the 77/23 10 pound log) divy it up and cook a couple pounds and take that for 2-3 days of lunches. Ill also patty some and hace hamburget steaks and put a spoon of A1 sauce on them(about 3 carbs for a tablespoon) 

I have the personality that if i stop now i suffered and wasted all that time for nothing. So after the first 2-3 week adjustment i got used to it. I eat around 20-30 carbs a day. Some days i push it. Some days i dont. If i go barely over, who cares? Its way better than i was regardless. 

I constantly tell myself and reinforce if i talk to others about it, that I am choosing not to eat carbs. Not that " i cant have it".  Ive had a few days where i ate what i wanted. Christmas time, thanksgiving,. Brothers birthday weekend cake and japanese steakhouse. Its ok to do that every once in awhile. Just hop back on the nect day. Your body will readapt quickly as long as you get right back on it.

I guess you could say its lazy keto. I dont bother with the headache of percentages. I just try and diversfy enough of what i eat and make sure i have plenty of fats .

I feel way better. I think another year of this and ill kick in more exercise. For now i just altered what i eat and its done wonders.

Hey thanks for sharing, this is impressive and definitely has some keto components.  Keep it up!

I like your meal ideas too, I could see myself giving those all a try.  When i tried keto i think I aimed for 20 carbs or less per day and it was a hell of a challenge, but was pleasantly surprised that pepperoni is a keto friendly snack.

Regarding the soda, you are right that they have crazy carbs, I'll have to consider that if/when I start focusing more on macros (probably soon).  Currently I've just eliminated nearly all the junk which sucks mentally (chips were my devilish friend), but I do indulge in a 40 calorie fudge stick/bar thingy near the end of my eating window.  It's weird, some nights I have severe cravings, and some nights it's no big deal...hoping that smoothens out.

I do monitor my blood pressure daily now and I swear my BP has slightly improved already - but that could be just me eliminating the majority of junk (still averaging about 2 cans of diet pepsi a day - they feel like a friggin reward lol).

On 2/17/2020 at 8:15 AM, jonebone said:

I skip breakfast and eat a light lunch but absolutely obliterate dinner and snacks all evening.

This cracked me up.  As I've gotten to know you a bit from your posts over the years, I got the impression you hit the gym and ate mindfully, so this was awesome haha.  Can we get a food obliteration vid uploaded?  🙂  (picturing Will Tennyson eating style from Youtube - if you guys haven't seen him, I recommend, he is legit hilarious and has excellent vids and dude is in killer shape).

Appreciate your post and input as well!

1 hour ago, Boosted52405 said:

This cracked me up.  As I've gotten to know you a bit from your posts over the years, I got the impression you hit the gym and ate mindfully, so this was awesome haha.  Can we get a food obliteration vid uploaded?  🙂  (picturing Will Tennyson eating style from Youtube - if you guys haven't seen him, I recommend, he is legit hilarious and has excellent vids and dude is in killer shape).

Appreciate your post and input as well!

Well I just follow IIFYM philosophy (if it fits your macros).  I make sure to hit my protein requirements each day and then do whatever to hit the carbs / fats.  If it's a cheeseburger and ice cream so be it.  I've gone through phases of calorie counting and food weighing but once you've learned your body enough you can just wing it.  

I do recommend a multivitamin everyday at least though.  Some people that do IIFYM really miss out on nutrients by neglecting food groups.  But if you take a multi then you've at least gotten a well balance of vitamins and minerals for the day regardless. 

12 hours ago, Code Monkey said:

This sounds like a terrible idea. I recently went vegetarian and have lost 12 pounds since Christmas, it's easy. I actually found out I don't really like the taste of meat that much.

I was vegetarian for almost 10 years, The moment you put meat in you mouth again you are gonna realize how much you missed it. 
Being vegetarian for so long I noticed that once I started to eat meat protein again my body thank me with more energy, don’t believe the lies about how your body don’t need meat protein and plus meat protein  it has all the essential amino acids your body needs compare to plant base protein 

• Like 3

I lost 6 pounds over the weekend.

It's easy, just get a sinus infection / pseudo-flu to knock you on your ass for 5 days. 

As far as what works/doesn't work, etc, for this thread, all I can say about it is that different stuff works for everyone. Yes, it's all about CICO but if one person accomplishes it one way and another person a different way, good for both of them.

I don't understand how anyone drinks diet soda, it tastes absolutely disgusting. I accidentally drank a diet Mt. Dew once, it was like asking for an N64 for Christmas in 1996 and unwrapping the gift to find out its a 32X. Blech.

As for drinking more water, I've never had much issue with it. I've had a few friends who did, my recommendation was to drink it as cold as possible. It tends to taste better. Also, depending how you get your water, I recommend purified from the faucet. But if you buy bottled water, I've found some brands absolutely taste better than others. I can dig Aquafina and Dasani, but if anyone brings that Nestle shit around, I have trouble drinking a whole bottle of it.

Just my 2 cents.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Bear85 said:

You don’t need to do all these fancy diet fads,

3 healthy well balanced meals a day 

plenty of water 

and exercise 

cut down on sugars, bad fats and processed foods and you should be good.

This is really just an adjusted eating schedule.  Studies also show that we really don't need 3 meals a day, and theorists suggest the traditional emphasis on breakfast is actually pushed from a marketing standpoint for corporations to make more $$$.  Just a theory, but take if for what you will 🙂

1 hour ago, Boosted52405 said:

This is really just an adjusted eating schedule.  Studies also show that we really don't need 3 meals a day, and theorists suggest the traditional emphasis on breakfast is actually pushed from a marketing standpoint for corporations to make more $$$.  Just a theory, but take if for what you will 🙂

I hardly ever eat breakfast, I stay in shape and eat healthy so I usually start with my protein shake. 

But in my defense the pros of eating a healthy breakfasts outweighs the cons and also if it’s a ploy by the corporations can you really blame them for bacon haha

Editorials Team · Posted
4 hours ago, CodysGameRoom said:

I lost 6 pounds over the weekend.

It's easy, just get a sinus infection / pseudo-flu to knock you on your ass for 5 days.

Lol same. I'm still not back to eating a normal amount of food and I'm down 6 pounds, putting me back into the Normal BMI category. In my experience, once I feel back to normal, I'll have an absolutely beastly appetite for days, to make up for all the weight I lost.

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Splain said:

Lol same. I'm still not back to eating a normal amount of food and I'm down 6 pounds, putting me back into the Normal BMI category. In my experience, once I feel back to normal, I'll have an absolutely beastly appetite for days, to make up for all the weight I lost.

Wish you and Codys both a speedy recovery, that crap is not fun at all.

As for your beastly appetite, any food obliteration videos are welcomed! 😉

• Like 1

6 pounds is normal weight fluctuation.  I'm +/- 6 pounds every week from Friday to Monday weigh in.  Carbs and sodium retain a lot of water weight and when you eat "dirty" for a whole weekend it takes an extra day or two to blow off the bloat.

If you care about your weight I highly recommend weighing yourself every AM on a digital scale after your morning piss, before consuming any food or water.  Track that as your baseline and you learn a lot about your body. 

• Like 1

On 2/14/2020 at 2:35 PM, Boosted52405 said:

Hey guys - so am jumping into the arena of Intermittent Fasting.  Has anyone else tried it?

A bit of background - I'm bigger than I've ever been and my blood pressure is starting to trend in the wrong direction.  In addition, I sincerely want to lose weight and have been reading about this for the last week or so. 

Today is day 1, I'm doing the standard 16:8 fast with water only for 16 hours (8pm - 12pm), following by an 8 hour eat window.

This scheduling of eating gives your digestive system a break, lowers blood insulin levels, and pushes an estimated 4-hour fat burn session before breaking your fast (after stored carbs and things are consumed first).  From what I have been reading, it can be extremely effective for losing weight and lowering blood pressure, along with a bunch of other stuff like reducing body inflammation etc.  I don't think I'm ready to get into the macro counting/timing yet, but understand the key is to stay at a caloric deficit each day, but can consume that allotted amount mindfully in the 8 hour window.  Mindful in the sense of not gorging on junk food :).

Anybody else tried it?  Am I blatantly off on anything shared above?  I'm new to this but genuinely want to give it a fair try, would love feedback.

I'm there with ya brother. I've done this myself (though closer to a 12:12 split, I stop eating after midnight and dont eat again til after noon, helps being on a second shift work schedule

On 2/14/2020 at 2:39 PM, CodysGameRoom said:

This worked for me in addition to restricting what I DID eat during the window, and adding exercise. I lost 50 pounds in about 7 months. I say it's definitely worth a shot, but you'll see even quicker results if you can find some time to exercise.

Good luck!

I too lost about the same.

One thing that personally helped me out a lot was eating things a bit more substantial/filling when I did eat, which helped me avoid snacking. I eventually just about entirely cut snacks out of my diet. I only rarely get anything like chips or w/e anymore and then I get much smaller portions (I had the terrible habit of just eating most of a bag of chips or w/e in a sitting regardless of what else I was eating)

• Like 1

Ok so one week in and things are feeling rather routine.  Still fighting the urge to snack after 8, or eat something right when waking up, but have been sticking to the schedule pretty solid.  Been breaking my fast at noon with a banana and a chocolate rice cake (~160 calories) and never realized chocolate rice cakes were so damn good 🙂.

Next steps I think will be to explore meal prep recipes and try to lay out some plans for this weekend and next week.  I suck at cooking but am great at turning on an oven or a crock pot ;).