IGNORED

This is just out and out strange - Gwyneth Paltrow's pretty bizarre candle

Tabonga

While I realize this thread has the potential for a, lot of crude jokes, I would prefer it to be a place for commentary on the changing nature of the products (and perhaps, more importantly,  the advertising) that companies try to foist off on us.  

https://pagesix.com/2020/01/11/gwyneth-paltrow-selling-75-candle-that-smells-like-my-vagina/

Let's hope Yankee Candle doesn't start a new celebrity line of such candles..............

(At first I thought this was an Onion effort - no such luck.)

Edited by Wandering Tellurian

Wait.. so it doesn’t actually smell like her vajay, right? It’s a joke she made and the title stuck from what the article says. 

So our topic is bizarre marketing? And I assume in the US? Censorship is totally different here. I feel like weird marketing, (which is a relative concept), happens in most countries, and the US is just hopping onboard more these days. in this new sort of nothing sacred-everythings offensive mentality and how crazy products are, we’ve probably reached a “ where do we go from here?” Issue.

The candle apparently started out as a joke but it was marketed at the goop website and sold out.  Some of the toilet paper ads have gotten pretty odd (such as bears arguing about who should pick up the cubs underwear - which it turns out are (mostly?)  clean because the cub uses chamin).  Complete with obnoxious song.

I also find it interesting that I now need a spray to put on the surface of the toilet water so when I take a dump it supposedly won't smell.   I have not verified the truth of the claims of these products.  I just keep a book of matches on the top of the tank.

Edited by Wandering Tellurian

2 minutes ago, 8-bit guerilla said:

On the shelf without reading about it, you may wonder. But I suppose you could do what you do with all candles, and pardon the pun but.... smell the box????? Aaaaahh thank you

But does the candle  smell like a generic whatever you want to call it or uniquely like Gwyneth's? 

Just now, Wandering Tellurian said:

But does the candle  smell like a generic whatever you want to call it or uniquely like Gwyneth's? 

Read the article it smells like different flowers. She smelled the candle and said “that smells like my box “ as a joke and thats what they named it.

If it was a candle done by Fubuki we could assume it might smell like vagina. But we’re talking Gwyneth Paltrow

1 minute ago, 8-bit guerilla said:

Read the article it smells like different flowers. She smelled the candle and said “that smells like my box “ as a joke and thats what they named it.

If it was a candle done by Fubuki we could assume it might smell like vagina. But we’re talking Gwyneth Paltrow

I suspect people will think of the product name more than anything else.

Maybe I can market a corpse flower scented candle - could be a hit with the necrophiliac crowd........

2 minutes ago, Wandering Tellurian said:

I suspect people will think of the product name more than anything else.

Maybe I can market a corpse flower scented candle - could be a hit with the necrophiliac crowd........

Probably. I don’t know if there’s a vagina candle crowd but... they sold Harry Potter barf and booger flavored jelly beans... stranger things have happened 

3 minutes ago, 8-bit guerilla said:

Probably. I don’t know if there’s a vagina candle crowd but... they sold Harry Potter barf and booger flavored jelly beans... stranger things have happened 

They used to sell candy that looked like pebbles - they were very realistic looking (and tasty).

2 minutes ago, Wandering Tellurian said:

They used to sell candy that looked like pebbles - they were very realistic looking (and tasty).

They still do.  My wife bought some for my kids as part of a kid.  My son just said thanks and tossed them down because he thought they were legit rocks and it took him a bit to understand “those are candy!”

1 minute ago, RH said:

They still do.  My wife bought some for my kids as part of a kid.  My son just said thanks and tossed them down because he thought they were legit rocks and it took him a bit to understand “those are candy!”

I remember getting them by the pound at the downtown Denver Woolworths way back when.