IGNORED

Top 100 movies of the decade

Reed Rothchild

Editorials Team · Posted

https://www.denofgeek.com/us/movies/285041/100-best-movies-of-the-decade

I'd say it's a pretty reasonable list for our particular demographic.  I've seen 61/100 and think I might make efforts to see the rest of them now.

The #1 movie is definitely on my radar now.

I know these lists are meant to be debated and all that and everyone's movie tastes are different. I appreciate them because I watch tons of movies and they help me find stuff I haven't seen.

But I have to say... War for the Planet of the Apes? C'mon, Rise was clearly the best of that trilogy!

Editorials Team · Posted
57 minutes ago, jonebone said:

Neat, one of my resolutions was to watch more movies this year... and not surprisingly, I've only seen 3 from that list.  I'm focusing mainly on 90s and 2000s but hope to catch a few more from that list at least.  Thanks for posting. 

I'd say you can't go wrong with most of these.  Edge of Tomorrow, Drive, Looper, Fury Road, Cabin in the Woods, and Ragnarok being some personal favorites.

1 hour ago, Tulpa said:

Parasite is FANTASTIC.

Please explain this to me. I watched it and thought it was mostly fine but near the end it took a hard left (which was unearned) that completely changed the tone of the movie. I've seen so many people proclaiming it's greatness for no apparent reason.

5 minutes ago, Lincoln said:

Please explain this to me. I watched it and thought it was mostly fine but near the end it took a hard left (which was unearned) that completely changed the tone of the movie. I've seen so many people proclaiming it's greatness for no apparent reason.

I don't remember a hard left. Which part are you referring to?

I've seen about 41-42 of these (was counting in my head while scrolling, so I might be 1-2 off), was aware of probably 50 or so of the others and only interested in seeing maybe 3-4 of those.  Some of the stuff I definitely don't agree with, but I'm not a paid critic, either, so my vote doesn't count.

Editorials Team · Posted
24 minutes ago, Code Monkey said:

I'm amazed some people can't understand the concept of a decade. The current decade runs from 2011 to 2021 so why are they including movies from 2010? That would be from last decade.

A decade is 10 years so I imagine you could use whatever time frame you want

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Code Monkey said:

I'm amazed some people can't understand the concept of a decade. The current decade runs from 2011 to 2021 so why are they including movies from 2010? That would be from last decade.

dont be that person. effin annoying.

We arent using the Julian calendar or Gregorian calendar as an official decade counter. We are using a symbolic decade. We dont count 1990 as part of the 80s because that is stupid

Ive heard people try to make this argument about 1000 times in the last few days. Its not original or clever. Everytime its mentioned all you hear is either nothing but an eyeroll or ..."would you just shut up"

Edited by Quest4Nes
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Code Monkey said:

Yes but specific decade intervals start and end with 1. You wouldn't do the best movies of the year from July - June.

yes but you can have a symbolic decade that makes sense or you could use the lame defintion you bring up. 

Its like arguing that a business had a bad year, and then you have you " well actually we are talking about the fiscal year so it was ok" 

Enough with semantics. These kind of arguments are a waste of time and annoy the piss out of me lol.

Edited by Quest4Nes

4 minutes ago, Quest4Nes said:

dont be that person. effin annoying.

We arent using the Julian calendar or Gregorian calendar as an official decade counter. We are using a symbolic decade. We dont count 1990 as part of the 80s because that is stupid

Ive heard people try to make this argument about 1000 times in the last few days. Its not original or clever. Everytime its mentioned all you hear is either nothing but an eyeroll or ..."would you just shut up"

You also forgot to mention that he got the years wrong anyway.  The current decade is 2011 through 2020.  

Just now, TDIRunner said:

You also forgot to mention that he got the years wrong anyway.  The current decade is 2011 through 2020.  

I was actually going to correct him on that and was typing it as we speak but you there ya go. beat me to it.. Yup he said 2011-2001 which would be 11 years. 

1 hour ago, peg said:

10. Star Wars: The Last Jedi (2017)

Is this some kind of fucking joke? Is today fucking April first?

was shocked it was that high. My least favorite of the 3 movies. I guess you could say it was the best "film" with character arcs and such of the 3 in a standalone sense, but man it was by far the worst "star wars" movie of the decade.

42 minutes ago, Code Monkey said:

It's an article published in 2019 called "100 Best Movies of the Decade," indicating the past decade (which would be 2010 to 2019 at time of publishing), so there's exactly zero wrong with it.  A decade is 10 years, so unless you're specifically talking about a specific span (70s being 1970 to 1979, 80s being 1980 to 1989, 2010's being 2010 to 2019, etc.) it can be any range of dates, so long as it's 10 years total.  Your definition is arbitrary at best, wrong at worst (if you meant into 2021, which would be an 11 year run versus ending at/before 2021, which would still be 10).

3 minutes ago, Quest4Nes said:

was shocked it was that high. My least favorite of the 3 movies. I guess you could say it was the best "film" with character arcs and such of the 3 in a standalone sense, but man it was by far the worst "star wars" movie of the decade.

Yeah, I felt the same on that one.  I have a feeling that the people who picked these were true paid critics, through and through, meaning they're generally attracted more to whatever seems different for difference's sake to most folks versus what is actually popular with everyone.  Hence why the scores for critics and us plebs differ so often on Rotten Tomatoes and such.

Edited by darkchylde28