IGNORED

Top 100 movies of the decade

Reed Rothchild

1 hour ago, peg said:

10. Star Wars: The Last Jedi (2017)

Is this some kind of fucking joke? Is today fucking April first?

3 minutes ago, Quest4Nes said:

was shocked it was that high. My least favorite of the 3 movies. I guess you could say it was the best "film" with character arcs and such of the 3 in a standalone sense, but man it was by far the worst "star wars" movie of the decade.

From a quick glance, that was the only thing on the list that I couldn't comprehend.  I was going to say something similar, but I've shit on that movie so much, I don't feel like wasting my time with it anymore.  

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Quest4Nes said:

dont be that person. effin annoying.

We arent using the Julian calendar or Gregorian calendar as an official decade counter. We are using a symbolic decade. We dont count 1990 as part of the 80s because that is stupid

Ive heard people try to make this argument about 1000 times in the last few days. Its not original or clever. Everytime its mentioned all you hear is either nothing but an eyeroll or ..."would you just shut up"

Just because it annoys you doesn't make it wrong. Would you feel the same way if it were the opposite? If you saw a list from 2011-2021 and then 35 posts not even mentioning the strange year selection, would you ask why people are selecting those years when it appears to be 1 year off a normal decade? I'm simply doing exactly the same thing you would do if the situation were reversed, you can't ask me to be silent about something that's incredibly confusing just because it caters to you.

I had no idea anyone else had made this argument, I have Asperger's so I'm a numbers and grammar fanatic. I made the same argument when people were celebrating the new millennium in 2000, I was like, "WTF are you idiots celebrating? You're a year early."

12 minutes ago, TDIRunner said:

You also forgot to mention that he got the years wrong anyway.  The current decade is 2011 through 2020.  

They're not wrong, the 10 year period would be 2011 - 2021, ending at the second the year turned to 2021.

Edited by Code Monkey

Just now, TDIRunner said:

From a quick glance, that was the only thing on the list that I couldn't comprehend.  I was going to say something similar, but I've shit on that movie so much, I don't feel like wasting my time with it anymore.  

There were parts I liked in it. It wasnt horrible to me. But compared to the other 2 newer ones, I like it the least

But to say on this list its a better film than interstellar . Well thats just stupid.

4 minutes ago, Code Monkey said:

Just because it annoys you doesn't make it wrong. Would you feel the same way if it were the opposite? If you saw a list from 2011-2021 and then 35 posts not even mentioning the strange year selection, would you ask why people are selecting those years when it appears to be 1 year off a normal decade? I'm simply doing exactly the same thing you would do if the situation were reversed, you can't ask me to be silent about something that's incredibly confusing just because it caters to you.

I had no idea anyone else had made this argument, I have Aspergers so I'm a numbers and grammar fanatic. I made the same argument when people were celebrating the new millennium in 2000, I was like, "WTF are you idiots celebrating? You're a year early."

They're not wrong, the 10 year period would be 2011 - 2021, ending at the second the year turned to 2021.

Lets count

2011  (1 year)

2012 (2 years)

2013 (3 years)

2014 (4 years)

2015 (5 years)

2016 (6 years)

2017 (7 years)

2018 (8 years)

2019 (9years)

2020 (10 years)

2021 (11 years)

for being a counting fanatic, you arent showing it. Here let me fix what you are trying to say. 

Jan 1st , 2011- Dec 31st 2020  is the "official decade" since we dont have a year zero (that is not 2021 that would be the start of a new decade)

Yes weve all heard that 100 times. Its lame and no one cares.

So before you bitch people out about how much smarter you are and cant believe how dumb we all are for not mentioning it , fix your facts first

Edited by Quest4Nes

Just now, Quest4Nes said:

Lets count

2011  (1 year)

2012 (2 years)

2013 (3 years)

2014 (4 years)

2015 (5 years)

2016 (6 years)

2017 (7 years)

2018 (8 years)

2019 (9years)

2020 (10 years)

2021 (11 years)

for being a counting fanatic, you arent showing it.

You didn't read what I wrote. My 2011 - 2021 decade ends the second the clock strikes midnight on January 1 2021. You're extending it to December 31 2021 which adds another year, that's wrong.

That's why I wrote 2011 TO 2021, because it stops once 2021 starts.

dude you were wrong, just admit it. ya fucked up.  Why would you even include 2021 when that has no inclusion in the decade whatsoever. 

If someone were running a sale and said now-2021. So that means the sale ends at the end of 2020? That makes no sense. just admit your mistake. its ok

Edited by Quest4Nes

Watched 29/100 (actually 30 but I'm not counting The Last Jedi as I was dragged to the cinema via a company event and literally fell asleep halfway though, the couch was comfy and my Star Wars knowledge/interest is slim). Not really go out of my way to watch films but my wife and I would go though the Oscar nominated film lists each year and watch some of those, on the list there are some I've wanted to watch for some time but haven't for one reason or another, and of course as a parent I've seen all Pixar films 🙂

1 minute ago, Abelardo said:

Watched 29/100 (actually 30 but I'm not counting The Last Jedi as I was dragged to the cinema via a company event and literally fell asleep halfway though, the couch was comfy and my Star Wars knowledge/interest is slim).

I went to see it with work too, then my fiancee got mad at me for seeing it without her and I had to see it in theaters again 😞 Not the worst Star Wars movie, but yeah it seems strategically positioned on this list at #10 to spark Star Wars internet outrage at being considered a top 10 movie of the decade.

The fact that The Last Jedi is in the top 10 and that The Death of Stalin is not anywhere on here tells me they don't know what they are talking about.

Granted, there are certainly some great films on this list, but it jumps around a lot and puts some blockbusters in much higher regard than they deserve.  It was still a fun list to skim through, though.

6 minutes ago, Reed Rothchild said:

@darkchylde28

Hmm, no that is definitely a populist list full of well-known titles.  Art house and alternative is more in The A.V. Club's wheelhouse

I'll agree with there not really being any true absolute unknowns in the list, I still say there are a lot of "art house" type picks that a critic would make over Average Joe.  Like picking The Last Jedi over The Force Awakens (or Rise of Skywalker, even).  There were a bunch of movies on there that just didn't appeal to me at all, regardless of however well they were made (like The Irishman, for example), but that were definitely popular across the board.  There were also ones that, while they generated a lot of critical praise or talk, I would be hard pressed to name a single person I know (as a friend, coworker, acquaintance, "Internet friend," etc.) who actually watched them or, in the rare case that one or more did, had anything to say about them that was close to what critics were putting out.  While my particular viewpoint on the world (not necessarily my opinion, but those I observe overall in the people "around" me) might be small, it generally aligns with what I see being expressed by the public more broadly (via Facebook, Reddit, online forums, podcasts, YouTube videos & comments, TV talk shows, etc.).  To each their own, though.

Editorials Team · Posted

I'm not a movie person, I've seen 7 of these. I've never heard of Parasite but I might have to check it out. I watched Inception a gazillion times. I don't know anything about Get Out; the internet doesn't hesitate to tell me it's a masterpiece but I've never met an actual person who liked it.

My bro-in-law recommended Snowpiercer to me. Is it any good?

Avenger's Endgame was mediocre and downright bad in many parts, nowhere near as good as Infinity War.

Interstellar was also incredible...until the mindbogglingly and incomprehensibly stupid final act.  Spolier: Matthew McConaughey tells his dsaughter how to solve some impossible equation that will magically save humanity by manipulating a watch through an inter-dimensional portal.  That's got to be one of the worst endings to an otherwise great movie ever.

Edited by peg