IGNORED

NES Completions thread 2020 - 677/677 (All Clear!)

scaryice

1 hour ago, scaryice said:

Well, I think the requirements may have been different in the past, but if we have Winter Games listed as "compete in all events," then logically we should have California Games & World Games be the same. Although, the records don't appear to be too hard in those games...

The difference there is that Winter Games has no preset records, so any completion of the event will set a new record. There is definite precedence in all the arcade/high-score games to take the preset high score as some or all part of claiming completion.

39 minutes ago, Kid Dracula said:

If the requirement is just to compete in all events then California games is done. 

I forgot about nes open golf, that is a great game. The precursor to Mario golf? 

Did California Games have preset high scores? I don't know it that well, so I can't say off the top of my head. It is odd that it's not on the exceptions list, but the Olympic mini-game compilations that have preset records should have to be beaten. The Skate or Die/Ski or Die/Winter Games ones default here to "just complete all events" because the leaderboard is blank by default.

NES Open is like the spiritual successor to Black-Box Golf, and yeah they seem to have been the ancestors to the Mario Golf games. You do even play as Mario. Black-Box Golf is a single-game with a high-score requirement. NES Open is something of a time sink, but it has a battery backup so you don't have to do it in one sitting.

Good information Nerdy! I just finished Rainbow Islands (with all the big diamonds) and am currently back to Arkanoid so I’ll have to check later to see if there was a high score in California games. I think I completed it in 2017 and don’t remember a high score component. But that would make sense. Leave it up to scary I guess! 

I do remember trying to finish nes open before realizing how long it would take to get 1 million. 

22 minutes ago, Kid Dracula said:

How do you get the good ending in bubble bobble? Does it have to be 2 player? Might try that later tonight after work 

It's been a long time since I've done this so I'm far from certain here.  I think in Level 99 you need to grab a crystal ball and take it to a door before they disappear.  It is supposed to be done with two players but I have done it solo before.  That puts you on the path toward the real end boss.  I think you have to play two loops of the game to beat it, but I am not sure if that is necessary for completion in this thread.

1 hour ago, arnpoly said:

It's been a long time since I've done this so I'm far from certain here.  I think in Level 99 you need to grab a crystal ball and take it to a door before they disappear.  It is supposed to be done with two players but I have done it solo before.  That puts you on the path toward the real end boss.  I think you have to play two loops of the game to beat it, but I am not sure if that is necessary for completion in this thread.

To add to that you also have to have the second player present when you lay the last hit on the final boss. Just have to hit start on them to steal one of your lives and then kill him if you're all by yourself. 

Finished off Baseball Stars II this morning so here is a pic from both one and two. 

49358266553_1af0dac714_z.jpg

49358270193_85eb09e8b0_z.jpg

After that I started working on Advanced Dungeons & Dragons: Hillsfar which was the last of the 4 AD&D games I needed to finish for my personal list. It also marked a massive milestone for my personal list as it was the 500th licensed NES game I've beaten from start to finish, all on original hardware with no cheats! Very proud of that accomplishment! 

49358930277_ed19c015a7_z.jpg

• Like 1
  • Wow! 1

21 hours ago, nerdynebraskan said:

The difference there is that Winter Games has no preset records, so any completion of the event will set a new record. There is definite precedence in all the arcade/high-score games to take the preset high score as some or all part of claiming completion.

Yeah, I suppose you're right. Odd that Winter Games doesn't have that while the other two do. I guess we should require all records to be beaten for both California Games & World Games - it doesn't seem to be too difficult though (just not a freebie like Winter Games).

I was just thinking that for some games, we don't require the best ending, like a silver medal for Snoopy. You could say that just finishing all the events is an ending, just like getting a silver medal is. Although, realistically, we probably should go the other way and require a gold medal for that game instead. Maybe next year.

Anyway, it was a great day for this thread. Arkanoid is now beaten, nice job Kid Dracula! Tablew/chairs is still leading the Pain Points standings, though - believe it or not, Arkanoid's only gone unbeaten twice despite its insane difficulty. And congrats to Crabmaster for his 500th NES clear! I checked recently and I'm around 200, likely over with Famicom included. Although that includes looping games that don't really feel beaten.

• Like 1