IGNORED

I am Spartacus!!

Actually not but I am (or is that was?) Natty Bumppo.   For those of you not into the arcane history of shenanigans at NA this is going to be boring....

First I will answer some general questions that came up in the banning thread.

1.) I am 67 and got into console gaming in early 1992 when I was 39.  (At one point I stated I had started in 1985 - but I was conflating when we bought our first house and when Mrs. Tellurian's friend brought over an SNES on an overnight visit - she also came for an overnight when we bought the house.  I was into complex (for the era)  war board games as early as the third grade though.

2) Never been on instagram so that wasn't me.

3) Wasn't me grabbing topics off Reddit (I only recently went on reddit - can't say as I impressed with the format at alt) - that is not to say that something I posted may have shown up there also at some point in time.

4) I addressed this when it came up but I will go over it again in more detail - my favorite genre is SRPGs - something that all of the nintendo formats were astoundingly lacking in. While I had played virtually all of the SNES rpgs quite frankly it was long ago even then that I had played them - and after awhile they pretty much all merged into one so other than saying x was good etc. I didn't have much to say.  And NA was extremely schizophrenic to a varying degree about talking about old topics - if you posted a new topic about something that had been talked about already you get flambeed for not using the minimilistic search system - if you posted into an old enough (I never did figure out what the cutoff age was -that seemed to vary also) thread you would be keel hauled for resurrecting dead topics.  Often by the same people. Go figure......

While I have a pretty substantial (not as big as some others ) collection that is pretty deep in quality I have never been into parading it about.   I didn't acquire it for that reason and to be honest with you since I bought virtually all of it the day (for example I got all 4 of the Dragon Force discs and 6 of the 7 Sega Lunar Silver Star discs in regular games stores at used game prices)  I have never really viewed my collection in terms of its value.  Frankly I am more proud of the maps I made for Warsong, Brigandine, Dark Wizard and my piece de resistance of the world map for Golden Axe Warrior.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Forward to my departure. As an underlayment I will state up front that I feel the treatment I was accorded was likely more the result of the fact that I have firm opinions on some things and I am a fairly skilled informal debater than the rather petty (IMHO) stuff slung at me.    Plus there always seems to be someone on every forum who thinks they can count coup on  the old geezer and make him look like a befuddled fool.   Not so much - while I don't win all debates I more than hold my own even in the ones I don't win.  As a result I tend to get dragged into all sorts of weird things - I even got into one where I was criticized for having my house paid off - that one has always baffled me since it allowed me to retire comfortably early (which has had rewards well beyond economics) and to put off collecting social security until I am 70 (which in my case is really really important since I am in a select group that gets a 16% effective  increase in benefits per  year that I wait rather the nominal 8% base figure that most recipients get.  That whole episode still has me baffled. 

It wasn't really one person that pushed to to decamp - at least publicy - I suspect there was an Alex (ala Clockwork Orange) leadsting some microcephletic droogs working behind the scenes.   And there was one incident that pretty much made me decide to decamp.   I don't remember which occurred first but I was directly attacked with a thread using a variation of the old ploy of "I come to bury Ceasar  not to praise him" - but surprise I had read Shakespeare too.  I responded with an ignoring the question (which is actually a logical fallacy - but this was obviously not a debate) strategy which not only avoids a confrontation (at least started by me) but would have shunted the whole thing off until a mod/admin showed up and shut the thing down.  A mod did show up - and lo I (along with the unfortunate Gloves) was chastized while the thread was allowed to remain with nary a word said to/about the poster (IIRC).  As a  former administrator of a large forum I have to say I considered this very poor judgement - perhaps driven by animus.

About the same time all of the threads I had posted (maybe 6, 7 or 8 - I don't remember the exact number) that were remotely active were all derailed by separate people. All within a day or so.  Hmmm - I may have been born at night but I wasn't born yesterday - kinda hard to say coincidence on this one.   Alex and his droogs at work.  Then a mod comes along and apologizes to some of the perpetrators  that while he looked he could not find how I had been breaking any rules. Not saying  to them for example that I wasn't breaking any rules so back off.  Another case of really really poor modding - but this one was clearly operating with animus.  I suspect I would have banned if I had actually been breaking any rules.

The straw that broke the camels back was what occurred in the last thread I posted (IIRC) - it was an RIP thread and that was attempted to be derailed,   No common decency there - it was the equivalent of pissing on the deceased's grave asfarasI was/am concerned.   No mod reaction of any sort on that one IIRC.  Translation - it is open season on someone.

At that point I decided to leave since the deck was pretty clearly stacked  and I wasn't going to be allowed to post anything undisturbed (if an RIP thread was not safe what would have been) - and I had more pressing issues in any event from some fairly intense upcoming follow up procedures resulting from my third heart attack a year earlier.  Just didn't need the BS in my life. I didn't leave a departing thread since I really am not into that sort of thing and didn't want to cause a ruckus in an already problematic place.

Anyway there are 8 million stories in The Naked City and that was mine.

Anyone has any questions feel free to ask.  

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyone wants to revisit old grievances feel free. (In the spirit of the season think Festivus peeps!)

Edited by Wandering Tellurian
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I am glad you have decided to join us.  I don't think I was the perpetrator of any of the incidents you described, but maybe I was? Either way I don't think there was anyone intentionally trying to drive you away, at least not to my knowledge.  

I also enjoyed the random nature of the topics you would bring to the table, that is what forums are for!  I hope you stick around.  

3 minutes ago, B.A. said:

I am glad you have decided to join us.  I don't think I was the perpetrator of any of the incidents you described, but maybe I was? Either way I don't think there was anyone intentionally trying to drive you away, at least not to my knowledge.  

I also enjoyed the random nature of the topics you would bring to the table, that is what forums are for!  I hope you stick around.  

I don't think you were - nor were you one of the mods I referred to.  Hard to say if they were trying to drive me off but not being able to start threads had that effect,   

(And I know from adminning elsewhere that you can't keep an eye on everything. )

---------------------

As an aside (to everyone not just you) I am really not trying to dig out old wounds (mostly mine I guess) but since people were asking why I left originally I felt it had to be addressed or people would (naturally) keep being curious.  And I don't think I could have functioned being paranoid about the same stuff rearing its ugly head,

I am really hoping that things have changed for the better with the revamp  - forums are basically dying and I find them a pretty good way to communicate - and dare I say it - socialize.

Events Team · Posted

Welcome back from a fellow Coloradan!  Coloradoan?  Coloradite?

Thanks for the back story.  You were missed after your departure from NA and I always enjoyed your posts and insight. 

I was actually wondering who the Wandering Tellurian might be...  Did a quick check on your namesake and 60s era pulp scifi is right up my alley.  Will see if I can hunt down a paperback.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wandering Tellurian said:

I am (or is that was?) Natty Bumppo. 

Ohh... now some things make a lot of sense. Your have a distinctive manner. I didn’t recognize you in the other thread but now, I feel like “of course” it’s you. 

1 hour ago, Wandering Tellurian said:

Forward to my departure.

What in the world — ? I wish I had seen these events but I don’t think I did. That all sounds very strange. I do remember when someone complained about your quantity of news article threads, but nothing further.

~

It is difficult in non-urban areas (I have the impression that describes your environs) to find a good cocktail bartender. I would recommend stocking a home bar. Although it might even be hard to find ingredients. I just visited family in NJ (densely populated state, but it seems not much in the way of actual cities or drinking culture) and my friends had to take me to a store 5 towns over, just to get bitters! The employee seemed proud to inform me that they had TWO kinds  🙄

Find a nice book to explore with. My favorite right now is The Bartender’s Bible (Gary Regan) but there are many. 

3 minutes ago, Link said:

What in the world — ? I wish I had seen these events but I don’t think I did. That all sounds very strange. I do remember when someone complained about your quantity of news article threads, but nothing further.

~

It is difficult in non-urban areas (I have the impression that describes your environs) to find a good cocktail bartender. I would recommend stocking a home bar. Although it might even be hard to find ingredients. I just visited family in NJ (densely populated state, but it seems not much in the way of actual cities or drinking culture) and my friends had to take me to a store 5 towns over, just to get bitters! The employee seemed proud to inform me that they had TWO kinds  🙄

Find a nice book to explore with. My favorite right now is The Bartender’s Bible (Gary Regan) but there are many. 

That all happened in April of 2018 - and it went down within a few days. So it would have been easy to miss

I live in Lakewood (a suburb of Denver) - I actually don't drink (did when I was in college and a bit later) much  - I have had . one screwdriver in the last 10 years,  But when I did drink a bit more I gave up on finding someone to mak.e a decent baccardi cocktail - it is apparently a really really obsure drink for some reason

25 minutes ago, Boosted52405 said:

Welcome!  I'd like to take the chance to apologize for any crap I may have contributed with on NA, glad you joined.

Other than a couple of the key players I really didn't memorize who did what.  So no worries/need to apologize - and this is a new place so hopefully everyone is going to play with a clean slate.

57 minutes ago, JamesRobot said:

Welcome back from a fellow Coloradan!  Coloradoan?  Coloradite?

Thanks for the back story.  You were missed after your departure from NA and I always enjoyed your posts and insight. 

I was actually wondering who the Wandering Tellurian might be...  Did a quick check on your namesake and 60s era pulp scifi is right up my alley.  Will see if I can hunt down a paperback.

It is (as you probably discovered) part of the later Ace Double series.  The book is so so (but with a catchy title)  IIRC - the other side "The Key to Venudine" by Kenneth Bulmer was part of a series about interdimensional travel that was pretty good - 7 books (the first six were all parts of Ace Doubles) - the last one was published much later and seemed to  either have been rushed or quite possibly was ghosted.

There are some much better 50s/60s books out there - I can give you a list of some of the better ones (at least that I can recall) - been awhile!

Events Team · Posted
3 hours ago, Wandering Tellurian said:

It is (as you probably discovered) part of the later Ace Double series.  The book is so so (but with a catchy title)  IIRC - the other side "The Key to Venudine" by Kenneth Bulmer was part of a series about interdimensional travel that was pretty good - 7 books (the first six were all parts of Ace Doubles) - the last one was published much later and seemed to  either have been rushed or quite possibly was ghosted.

There are some much better 50s/60s books out there - I can give you a list of some of the better ones (at least that I can recall) - been awhile!

I've read a bunch but am always on the look out for more.  Really the only fiction genre I read anymore.  I used to work at a bookstore and would grab em by the bagful as they moved to the cheap shelf.  Even the bad to mediocre are pretty enjoyable.  I'd consider any suggestions you have.

8 hours ago, Wandering Tellurian said:

I actually don't drink much  - I have had . one screwdriver in the last 10 years,  But when I did drink a bit more I gave up on finding someone to mak.e a decent baccardi cocktail - it is apparently a really really obsure drink for some reason

Wow, you’re not kidding! Well, I keep all of the ingredients for that one, standard. If you should ever find yourself in Chicago and want to drop by, I’ll make you a good one. I know it’s unlikely, but the invitation is there. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...