IGNORED

AVS and NT versus other clone machines

fcgamer

Administrator · Posted
1 minute ago, OptOut said:

Don't just rely on "game modes" folks. Go into every video setting on your HDTV and turn that shit off. I mean it. Every video enhancement setting, every image processing setting, ANY and EVERY thing the TV will try to do to get in between your system and the the screen, you turn that shit OFF.

Never seen any lag on my TV's after turning all the settings off, via HDMI or analogue connectors, if you do then it may be your TV is just wrong and not game friendly.

Yup. These features may be nice when used on a TV show (not really though), but when input is a factor, you're just adding more and more time between the button press and the action.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I learned his lesson back in the NA era.  I had a TV fail, got another in the main room (we still have it, kids watching Pokemon right now) and that Samsung was a turd for lag.  I had no clue, thought that Nintendo couldn't code for crap as Mario Allstars Wii was so lagged a goomba got me because you physically could see him go after I pressed, so I sold it in disgust.  A year later someone joked, I felt I should not back out of a returned joke to that and ended up with another copy, on another TV.  This TV I heard something about processing modes, so I used displaylag dot com and found one in the mid 20s for ms of lag, suddenly Mario worked 100% right.  Lesson learned.

My TV I had earlier ago this year failed, this time I decided to get a more PC style screen, got a TCL Roku TV, the rating on it is sub 5ms, basically it's a non-touch Android Tablet pretending to be a TV as it has no tuner.  That thing is fast, I've hit no perception issues at all. I can go between using NES/FC games on my PVM color monitor CRT or that screen and get the same results.

So I doubt the AVS is at fault, the TV likely is.  It's not some emulator causing a layer of lag.

• Like 2

I'll just say as the person who rekindled this conversation that I was aware of flat-screen era TVs creating lag, but I thought that since the AVS was native HDMI that it would be better than it is.  My TVs with "Game" mode handle all kinds of games just fine (unlike the Wii example from Tanooki).  So, I had to find out that my TVs were the problem only after hooking an AVS up.  I'm not ignorant of the problem, and I was still a little surprised.

• Like 1

Update on this.  I went into the settings on my LG OLED C1 Series TV and switched the Game Optimizer to "Boost" which lets me play cycle accurate NES on that TV.  I dodged all of Tyson's dynamite punches on the first try and beat him on my 3rd attempt.  The timing does seem slightly different, but that could vary from NES to NES and CRT to CRT as well.

Anyway, AVS PLUS low lag TV does seem to be a great NES replacement.

Edited by wongojack
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

15 hours ago, cartman said:

How about using a gaming PC monitor. Will that have better results than even an expensive TV?

They often vary as much as TVs do, but a decent one might be good.

Most don't have sound, though, so you'll need a solution for that.

Edited by Tulpa

5 hours ago, cartman said:

How much in lag is 2.4ms is that like 1 second delay for every 10 minutes or something?

9.9-17.3ms though seems pretty bad.

How can i know where 'm landing at myself?

I think you're thinking of it as output lag thinking 1 second per 10 mins. The input lags don't compound the way an output lag would. 

The untrained eye can't allegedly discern less than 20ms of lag. However, 100ms is .1 second which pretty noticeable. So somewhere between 20ms and 100ms is a pont where basically everyone will notice and the closer to 100ms you get, the more likely a goomba will kill you.

10ms is one hundredth of a second so it might look on paper like it's a lot but there's not way you can input 100 button presses per second. Breaking a second up into 100 pieces and having players be able to thread the needle into one of those slots isn't something most games will ever do. Even 20 Ms of lag takes of lag means it takes 1/50th of a second to go from the input to the action on screen which is objectively tiny.

On 1/2/2024 at 2:50 PM, RegularGuyGamer said:

I think you're thinking of it as output lag thinking 1 second per 10 mins. The input lags don't compound the way an output lag would. 

The untrained eye can't allegedly discern less than 20ms of lag. However, 100ms is .1 second which pretty noticeable. So somewhere between 20ms and 100ms is a pont where basically everyone will notice and the closer to 100ms you get, the more likely a goomba will kill you.

10ms is one hundredth of a second so it might look on paper like it's a lot but there's not way you can input 100 button presses per second. Breaking a second up into 100 pieces and having players be able to thread the needle into one of those slots isn't something most games will ever do. Even 20 Ms of lag takes of lag means it takes 1/50th of a second to go from the input to the action on screen which is objectively tiny.

Yeah i don't know i get confused by all of it.

I was listening to this guy talking aboutlag in Cotton

But he talkes about frames of lag but i guess that's not the same as ms. What would 2 or 20ms be in frames?

Is he just exaggerating how bad 4-6 frames of lag is?

From my understanding seeing many complaints online (non-video) the easiest application would be the shared goomba biting your ass to death story I had and others in this thread with the TV vs the Wii release of the game (all-stars in my case special pack.)  You'll probably end up gunned down a second before you actually SEE the bullet hit you thinking you dodged it.  I remember all the commentary how bad it was so I never got it, have the other 2 Cotton's though which is a shame as I like the franchise, even have my little nenroid on the desk of the witch here from the huge Cotton Fantasy set. 🙂

8 hours ago, cartman said:

he just exaggerating how bad 4-6 frames of lag is?

If it's 30 frams a second and the input takes 6 frames to make an action on the screen, that's 166ms. That's an insane amount. 4 frames under that condition would be 130ms

Edited by RegularGuyGamer