IGNORED

Facebook is a piece of $#!@

Events Team · Posted

So I hadn't been on Facebook for a few years.  My previous account was pretty inactive and got hacked and taken over.  It happened at like 3 am and I was completely locked out by the time I woke up was able to respond to the email that warns you when you log in from another device.  

I tried to appeal and contact FB with a copy of my ID and couldn't get any traction.  Wasted tons of time trying to recover.  So I totally gave it up and said never again.

Fast forward to last year; I created another account so I can use the marketplace.  It all went well and I bought a motorcycle in the fall.  And I've been browsing for video games of course.  I hate it but it's a bit better than Craigslist as a marketplace.

Then today, I posted a motorcycle for sale on the market and it was going well.  I had a couple good hits with interested people.  Then, my shit somehow got hacked again, and two identical sales posts for a cheap Honda Civic were made under my account and I started getting flooded with responses.  

So I deleted the sales posts for the cars.  And my account got blocked while I was in talks with people who legit wanted to see the bike.  I appealed, and even if my account is reinstated, it still killed the potential sales I had going.

This is the bike I'm selling.

EJvVOaJ.jpg

Damn you Facebook.  You suck so much.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 3

You shouldn't be getting hacked this much. Do you use insecure passwords or the same password for every site? You should also look into 2 factor authentication.

Edited by mbd39

24 minutes ago, JamesRobot said:

Yeah probably reused the password.  But FB is 2 factor.  It's seriously the only thing I've ever had a problem with.

I had issues with the 2 factor crap as well, and got locked out about a month back. 

A few years back my company was running ads on FB and the process was horrible, they kept restricting our ads due to bots sending up red flags.

The only reason I'm still on FB / still use it is because I've got a lot of friends and contacts around the globe.

51 minutes ago, Sumez said:

There's a lot of things to criticize Facebook for, but your account getting hacked over and over might be a "you" problem. I've never seen it happen to anyone who didn't click something dumb 😛 

Hey, she said she knew me! And her profile picture had her in lingerie! 

Are you saying that's MY fault? 😠

• Wow! 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1

Facebook is awful all around.  I briefly check it sometimes but the only activity happening on my account is when I’m tagged in family photos.  It’s kind of a historical curiosity for me.  My account is from back in the college-only days. I do find having access to an account still to be a necessary evil sometimes because of how many entities in my world communicate by means of Facebook.  

Reading any comment section is an exercise in watching insanity.    There is something fucking wrong with those people.  Also, why the hell do I have to click the button to see all comments?  Format sucks.  Company is so slimy. I have nothing nice to say about it.  

I had a FB account back when everyone migrated from MySpace.  I kept it for, maybe, a year and deleted it, never too return.  A few years ago, my wife had a business given too her that was local marketing company. I helped some with the ad campaigns and such for the companies associated account.  The interface is terrible, I don't think searching old material is easy, and the whole thing is just designed to keep having people hit that feeder bar.

I was glad when my wife gave up the company a year later.  I know people want to be social and, much like eBay, it's hard to kill a behemoth of synergy like that, but I just don't know why people put up with it.  It's like a place that no one loves (except, maybe, influencers who are pulling in $100k a month from the place) and, yet, no one leaves.  

20 minutes ago, G-type said:

FB has a lot of a problems, but is there really a better alternative for staying in contact with a bunch of friends and family and strangers with similar interests?

videogamesage.com. The only person I trust with all my private info, photos, browsing history, and contacts is Gloves.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, a3quit4s said:

Social media free since 2012. Only LinkedIn for finding new jobs and even that is on hibernate right now lmao

Exactly.  Same here.  I only used LinkedIn because as a developer, you're not going to get work when you need a new gig otherwise.

2 hours ago, G-type said:

FB has a lot of a problems, but is there really a better alternative for staying in contact with a bunch of friends and family and strangers with similar interests?

Yes, there are alternatives.

• Old friends: Emails, go out for coffee when you're in town or just call them
  • Selling stuff:  Here, Craigslist, eBay, Amazon, Etsy... there are other avenues.
  • Niche Communities: There are other sites like this place for other communities, plus sites like Reddit can be hit-or-miss but can do alright.  This is, in my opinion, probably the greatest "strength" of Facebook but I also find it also the least necessary.  I'm fine "hanging out" and discussing my hobby here.  I don't need a new venue for that.  Legos, as an example, have several sites and places as well.  If it's a common hobby, there's usually a hobby website dedicated to providing a place for it's community to connect.
  • Politics: Lol, who want's that?!  Well, if you do, there are tons of places.  X, Mastedon, Truth Social, Rumble... pick and lane (or three) and there's an avenue for you.
  • Agree 1

9 minutes ago, G-type said:

Reddit makes Facebook seem downright wholesome

It depends on where you go.  Yes, there's a lot of toxicity over there, but mods for subs can do a decent job of creating walled gardens.  I don't know enough about FB to know if you can do that with any type of community page you create, but I do know that unlike Reddit, if you join FB, you get all of the baggage that comes with it, peppered around whatever you're doing.  At least, according to my wife.

All social media is rubbish, I wouldn't feel comfortable selling things on FB market place. They're all harvesting your data and pretend the site is "free".

Reddit is about to get even worse now it's on the stock exchange and all those investors need money. I expect that within a year Reddit will just be the same as FB and Twitter, even the walled off communities will be bombarded with ads and info harvesting.

• Agree 1

9 minutes ago, Brickman said:

All social media is rubbish, I wouldn't feel comfortable selling things on FB market place. They're all harvesting your data and pretend the site is "free".

Reddit is about to get even worse now it's on the stock exchange and all those investors need money. I expect that within a year Reddit will just be the same as FB and Twitter, even the walled off communities will be bombarded with ads and info harvesting.

Reddit and Discord devouring everything you've ever thought, looked at, or discussed to advertisers, AI companies, and the NSA.

Excited Feed Me GIF by Faja Lobi

"I've got nothing to hide" said the man who won't even tell his wife how much he spent on that copy of Panic Restaurant.

• Haha 2
  • Agree 1

22 minutes ago, DefaultGen said:

Reddit and Discord devouring everything you've ever thought, looked at, or discussed to advertisers, AI companies, and the NSA.

Excited Feed Me GIF by Faja Lobi

"I've got nothing to hide" said the man who won't even tell his wife how much he spent on that copy of Panic Restaurant.

She can never know dude.  To my grave.

I find it kind of hilarious that if we have a conversation about anything I will immediately thereafter gets ads about it.  They’re not even trying to hide it anymore.  My phone is basically a big old spying device that has my pretty much everything on it.  🤷‍♂️  no one is willing to do anything about this capitalist hellscape we live in so I guess that’s just how it is.  At least make the ads useful to me and not Temu and he gets us shit.  
You know what really pisses me off?  We use the white noise on Alexa when we sleep and every 4 or 5 nights she rolls into an unstoppable ad about paying to not hear the ad.  It’s super long and just awesome when I’m sneaking into bed at the wee hours.  But here’s the thing that really gets me — after you listen to the speech and tell her no you don’t want the thing she doesn’t even play the fucking white noise!  Uhh I hate Amazon.  

Edited by Hammerfestus
  • Haha 1

Events Team · Posted

Pretty much all valid opinions in here.  And I'm certainly not above clicking on dumb shit on the internet, that's what it's for.

But I'm not an outlier by any means.  I don't know if any of you peruse the vehicle sales but it's common to see a car or motorcycle that is just a little too good to be true, and when you look at the seller they've posted the same $1200 2015 Honda across multiple states.  It's always a relatively normal unassuming legit profile and you kinda just wonder why they're scam posting.  It's really weird.

Anyway, I got an update.  My profile is unlocked but now I'm banned from the marketplace. 🙄

IjBaCrx.png

3 hours ago, DefaultGen said:

At the risk of turning this into a music thread...it's just too relevant. Also certified banger. 😅