IGNORED

Game Debate #197: NFL Blitz

Rate it  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Rate based on your own personal preferences, NOT historical significance

• 10/10 - One of your very favorite games of all time.
    • 9/10 - Killer f'ing game. Everyone should play it.
    • 8/10 - Great game. You like to recommend it.
    • 7/10 - Very good game, but not quite great.
    • 6/10 - Pretty good. You might enjoy occasionally playing it.
    • 5/10 - It's okay, but maybe not something you'll go out of your way to play.
    • 4/10 - Meh. There's plenty of better alternatives to this.
    • 3/10 - Not a very good game.
    • 2/10 - Pretty crappy.
    • 1/10 - Horrible game in every way.
    • 0/10 - The Desert Bus of painful experiences. You'd rather shove an icepick in your genitals than play this.
    • Never played it, but you're interested.
    • Never played it, never will.

10. One of my favorite games of all time. I know people love to shit on sports games, and maybe rightfully so, but this is in a different category. The arcade style makes this games unbelievable playable. It's always been one of my favorite games and I'll die on that hill. A real successor to Tecmo Bowl and largely overlooked.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, DefaultGen said:

I don't care enough about football to go higher than a 7, but this game does a really good job at appealing to people who don't care about football. A guy at my local arcade could just sit there and run circles around the CPU all day.

4 minutes ago, RegularGuyGamer said:

10. One of my favorite games of all time. I know people love to shit on sports games, and maybe rightfully so, but this is in a different category. The arcade style makes this games unbelievable playable. It's always been one of my favorite games and I'll die on that hill. A real successor to Tecmo Bowl and largely overlooked.

I've heard this so much, and this is the only reason I really, really want to pick up a copy of this game and play it.

I'm also not into Basketball games, but man, NBA Jam was amazing. I've heard this Blitz is the NBA Jam of Football, so I really need to do myself a favor and give this a try some time.

• Agree 1

46 minutes ago, RH said:

I've heard this so much, and this is the only reason I really, really want to pick up a copy of this game and play it.

I'm also not into Basketball games, but man, NBA Jam was amazing. I've heard this Blitz is the NBA Jam of Football, so I really need to do myself a favor and give this a try some time.

When it came out, Super Mega Baseball was very fun. Feels very close to a grown up Back Yard Baseball from PC a long time ago.

NFL Blitz was a very fun game. Probably a 9, but I gave it a 10 as it's easy for anyone to pick up and play and it's an extremely fun game.

• Like 1

Fantastic use of the NBA formula injected into Football in an arcade-y package that even non sport fans can play

Yes it was cool that the N64 version took it to a new level with custom plays that you took take with you to the arcade.  Also Blitz 99/2000 added 4 player support, which made it a great co op experience as well.

Anyone ever attempt to beat it?  You have to go through the entire league and those last 5 teams were ruthless.  Anytime you are up the cpu seems to get an interception or recovers a fumble.  If Mario Kart rubberbandimg is annoying, Blitz will may you cry.

If anyone is interested in a modern day day Blitz, Mutant Football League is a funny mashup of Mutant League Football and Blitz.

“Why aren’t more killer clowns in the Mutant League?”

”Because they are all in politics”

• Like 1

It's no NBA Jam but it's got the same spirit. This, Tecmo Bowl and Mutant League Football are pretty much the only football (both kinds) games I'll bother playing.

I'm feeling generous and nostalgic, so I'll give it an 8/10.

Edited by Webhead123

17 hours ago, RegularGuyGamer said:

I'll commit nerd sacrilege and say I think I was wrong to always dump on sports games as a kid. Hating jocks isn't a reason to hate their sports games. There's definitely things happening there that I  What's worth hating is that they come out every year and that the used stores get flooded with them once they aren't up to date. Also the companies that make them get exclusivity deals and promptly stop making real effort. EA is a villain there but 2K Sports has their failures too, like the really terrible wrestling games that get pooped out with more bugs than Todd Howard's basement.

I also dislike that sports games are the cornerstone of EA's empire of evil that slaughters good devs, and dislike that so many sports fans don't care at all and just shell out every year for diminishing returns, but I see their position; Get the best fangame ever for your hobby at a fraction of the cost of even basic fan merchandise. And if you're not into games then you don't care about some nerd's favorite company being bought out and gutted. It is what it is, I'd just argue for the exclusivity deals to all get axed so that they had to actually try and compete.

Hmm - I might be on the outside here as I really like sports games, but this never got much attention from me.  I do like NBA jam, but I have never really dipped into the sports games that seem to be more like cartoon versions of the actual sport.  I did play through the campaign on Blitz: The League on Xbox 360, and I even played a few online matches around the time it was new.  That game was just ok.

Edit as the post above mine went in while I was typing.  I hate everything that @koifish said about the cycle of cash-in releases every year.  When I say "I really like sports games," I just mean that they've played a HUGE part of my personal gaming history.  They've also broadened my appreciation for sports to which I've had very limited exposure (hockey, rugby, etc.)

Edited by wongojack
  • Like 2

Even though I'm not into sports games, and I understand this game is pretty different from your traditional football game.  However, I still couldn't get into it.  My roommates in college played this all the time and they loved it.  I understand why it was so popular at the time, but I still couldn't enjoy it.  It's just not for me.  

If I had a gun to my head and forced me to pick a football game, this is probably the one I would pick, but that's about the best I can say for it.  

On 3/27/2024 at 3:50 PM, NostalgicMachine said:

I don't care about football at all, and I LOVED this game when it came out. Lots of good memories. I give this a 9/10. 

Anyone else remember the NFL Blitz arcade cabinets that let you load an N64 memory card?

The fact that you don't really need to know much about Football to play this makes it a pretty great game to pick up and play. One of the few sports titles I actually enjoy!

And I totally remember those cabinets! Pokèmon Snap had one similar too iicr. 

• Like 2