IGNORED

Immediate Purchase Regrets

2 hours ago, Sumez said:

I don't usually regret purchases, but if I end up spending too much money on something that wasn't what I thought it was, or I buy stuff that takes up a lot of place but which I end up never using, that's pretty much an immediate regret.

In recent memory, two games stand out to me, both were my own fault for not doing some basic research:

Devil May Cry Trilogy on Switch. I bought a physical copy because I wanted to own the game, and a real copy of especially the Switch port of DMC3, which by most fans is regarded the ultimate version of that game.
What I didn't realise at the time, is that the physical release only includes the first game, and the other two are download codes. Completely useless garbage.

Uncharted Waters on SNES. I've never been interested in this game on any platform. But @Reed Rothchild's insane praise of the game in his SNES Rankings list (better than TNWA? must be really fucking great) convinced me to shell out for a game that's unfortunately an import exclusive, meaning absurd shipping, customs, etc.
Buuuut it turns out there are apparently two Uncharted Waters games on the SNES, and the game he praised was the other one, which is also an import exclusive. Sucks. I'm never going to play this game.

Buy the other one and send @Reed Rothchild a bill?  😄

I bought a C64 monitor and one of the capacitors immediately started to go out and the colors faded. Then I bought a more modern-ish CRT that died on me.

I bought a PC Engine and then realized I don’t really want to play or collect PCE.

As for individual games I’ve gotten way pickier about condition so it’s harder for me to regret, but I may still impulse buy a good condition game every now and then and realize “Okay it’s in great shape but do I actually care about this game?” as soon as I get home. It’s hard to let go of that constant dopamine hit from buying a ton of games but curating is my new strategy.

Speaking of being picky about condition, I purged a lot of stuff that I had gotten over the years that no longer met my condition standards. That felt great.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Sumez said:

Why would anyone not want to play PCE? 😮 

I think it’s a great library, I’ve just got enough to collect/play as is so I had to draw line somewhere. The CD stuff looks really cool though. Maybe I’ll come back to it someday.

The Analogue Duo did tempt me back in.

Edited by Strange

On 4/4/2024 at 3:47 AM, Sumez said:

Devil May Cry Trilogy on Switch. I bought a physical copy because I wanted to own the game, and a real copy of especially the Switch port of DMC3, which by most fans is regarded the ultimate version of that game.
What I didn't realise at the time, is that the physical release only includes the first game, and the other two are download codes. Completely useless garbage.

I got burned the same way with Resident Evil Origins Collection on Switch. RE 1 is a code and RE0 is actually on cart.  Just went ahead and got the PS4 version instead which actually has all the content on disc.

Ah, I felt there was something I was just forgetting.  Yeah, I got a Switch and bought BotW on eBay.  Not wanting to wait for BotW to show up on my door, I bought Xenoblade Chronicles 2. I restarted and tried to get into that game multiple times and I couldn't.  Being that I like physical games, I went and bought the physical version between my first and second attempts at getting the game going.

I didn't like it.  I regretted double-paying for the game after really, really trying to like it.  The good news was when I finally decided to sell my physical copy, the game had been discontinued for a while so I recouped most of my costs, so I guess I don't really regret it.  Still, having a DLC game I paid full price for really compels me to this day to try to pick up and get back into and to play it to completion, or very close to it.  It's just... in some ways it's too complex and in others it's too easy.  The story is fine and semi-enjoyable, I just find some of the characters to be grating.  

• Wow! 1

I have to say - I remember far more regrets of not buying than of buying in the past decade. Sure, I've overspent, gotten fake games off YAJ, and other mistakes, but those feel like they come out in the wash of the deals I've gotten. However, the deals I've passed up haunt me, as some of those feel out of reach now, or just absurd compared to what I had the opportunity to buy them at. That is what keeps me up at night. 

• Agree 1

37 minutes ago, RH said:

Ah, I felt there was something I was just forgetting.  Yeah, I got a Switch and bought BotW on eBay.  Not wanting to wait for BotW to show up on my door, I bought Xenoblade Chronicles 2. I restarted and tried to get into that game multiple times and I couldn't.  Being that I like physical games, I went and bought the physical version between my first and second attempts at getting the game going.

I didn't like it.  I regretted double-paying for the game after really, really trying to like it.  The good news was when I finally decided to sell my physical copy, the game had been discontinued for a while so I recouped most of my costs, so I guess I don't really regret it.  Still, having a DLC game I paid full price for really compels me to this day to try to pick up and get back into and to play it to completion, or very close to it.  It's just... in some ways it's too complex and in others it's too easy.  The story is fine and semi-enjoyable, I just find some of the characters to be grating.  

I’ve tried on multiple occasions to get into the Xenoblade series too. I’ve tried the original, X, and 2. I don’t know what it is but I just can’t get into it.

20 minutes ago, Strange said:

I’ve tried on multiple occasions to get into the Xenoblade series too. I’ve tried the original, X, and 2. I don’t know what it is but I just can’t get into it.

Xenogears = greatest game ever made.

Xenoblade = eeeeeeeeeh, nah.

5 minutes ago, Gloves said:

I'm a little sad I didn't finish Xenogears, but it honestly got a bit boring.

It's a remarkable example of contradictory greatness in a game.  I've said both of these points before.  First, I never beat the game either. I got close to the end, but the long text-based cut scenes were so long, I didn't finish them towards the end of my senior year, and I just didn't get back to it.

But with that said, the gameplay was a 10 in my book.  It has hands-down been my favorite RPG I've ever played.  I rate it a 10 not because the whole thing is perfec.t It's not, it's flawed.  But what it does get right, it's so right that to me, it is "perfect", and that's what I enjoyed.

I really hope if they make a remake of this one they keep some semblance of the original but flesh out the whole thing.  I know it was on a leaked list from a credible source as being one of the titles on SE's backlog to make, but that list was pre-COVID, so I'm sure SE's priorities have changed.

10 hours ago, DarkKobold said:

I have to say - I remember far more regrets of not buying than of buying in the past decade. Sure, I've overspent, gotten fake games off YAJ, and other mistakes, but those feel like they come out in the wash of the deals I've gotten. However, the deals I've passed up haunt me, as some of those feel out of reach now, or just absurd compared to what I had the opportunity to buy them at. That is what keeps me up at night. 

I kinda get what you mean, but I think part of that is just the natural escalation most collectors experience after sticking with the hobby for a while. Lot's of people go in with price ceilings way lower than what they end up with, so they wind up passing on stuff that they wouldn't a couple years down the line. I don't think that's a bad thing though, it's a sign of becoming experienced enough to know what is worth more to you. I have regrets like that, but I'm kinda glad I have those regrets

On 4/5/2024 at 9:00 AM, Strange said:

I think it’s a great library, I’ve just got enough to collect/play as is so I had to draw line somewhere. The CD stuff looks really cool though. Maybe I’ll come back to it someday.

The Analogue Duo did tempt me back in.

I won't sell it because I guess I own a Duo now, but I find PC Engine to have an underwhelming library sans a handful of video games. I was hoping for a pleasant surprise like how I discovered my love for Sega Saturn, but besides Ys and Castlevania: Rondo of Blood I can see why PC Engine has remained a relatively obscure console to collect for (in The States). I feel like you're not missing out on much.

• Confused 1
  • Disagree 1

28 minutes ago, TheGreatBlackCat said:

but besides Ys and Castlevania: Rondo of Blood I can see why PC Engine has remained a relatively obscure console to collect for (in The States). I feel like you're not missing out on much.

Parasol Stars? Ninja Spirit? Splatterhouse? Legendary Axe? Bomberman? Devil's Crush? Bonk? Tonma? Neutopia? Sonson 2? Jackie Chan? Nexzr, Soldier Blade, Sapphire, and Super Star Soldier? Best ports of Gradius 2 and Salamander? That's just scratching the surface.

It's no NES or SNES, sure, but if you can find enjoyment in the Saturn library, the PCE should be ripe for you.

• Agree 1

On 4/5/2024 at 2:48 AM, Sumez said:

Why would anyone not want to play PCE? 😮 

Well… one of my local game stores had a brand new Analogue Duo priced at MSRP (I know they’re still available at Analogue) and I had the credit to cover the whole purchase. So I have a PC Engine/CD again. Looks like I’m giving it another shot.

• Love 1

On 4/9/2024 at 11:13 PM, TheGreatBlackCat said:

I won't sell it because I guess I own a Duo now, but I find PC Engine to have an underwhelming library sans a handful of video games. I was hoping for a pleasant surprise like how I discovered my love for Sega Saturn, but besides Ys and Castlevania: Rondo of Blood I can see why PC Engine has remained a relatively obscure console to collect for (in The States). I feel like you're not missing out on much.

Any lesser known stuff that you did like? Ys and Rondo are definitely on my radar but I’m going to try to dig deeper.

Events Team · Posted
On 3/30/2024 at 10:47 AM, JamesRobot said:

I probably have more regrets when I don't buy stuff.  Prices just go up for the most part.  I scoffed at a $62 Duck Tales 2 some 10 or 12 years ago.  Whoops.  

After all, it's only money.  But I'm certainly not spending $300+ today.  *Scoff scoff.

Update:  I regret nothing!  My years of scoffs are justified with a BIG THANKS to @T-Pac

Dude sent a surprise package the other day.  Lo and behold, I now have my very own copy of Duck Tales 2 (au français)!  Along with a T-Pac original Robot Scrooge McDuck drawing.  So cool. 😎 

HbUnrNU.jpg

• Like 4
  • Wow! 1
  • Love 3

27 minutes ago, JamesRobot said:

Update:  I regret nothing!  My years of scoffs are justified with a BIG THANKS to @T-Pac

Dude sent a surprise package the other day.  Lo and behold, I now have my very own copy of Duck Tales 2 (au français)!  Along with a T-Pac original Robot Scrooge McDuck drawing.  So cool. 😎 

HbUnrNU.jpg

That's awesome! 

• Like 1