IGNORED

Series that should be more, or got too much

Link

If you don’t say Call of Duty for #2, then we have problems. lol.

My answer for #1 is tough.  I’d say Xenogears but I know you all will call out Xenosaga followed by Xenoblade games but those games didn’t have the same feel as the original game to me and felt to vastly different in gameplay to be called sequels, spiritual or other wise.

I am a bit surprised that with all the new love for Horror genre games, SE never pulled the Parasite Eve franchise out again.  I didn’t play the last two games in the series. I did own PE2 back in the day but I had a lot of games I owned in my backlog and I just never got around to that one. Maybe the series sucked after the first as I’ve really never taken the time to look for reviews.

My last suggestion is Ridge Racer.  Yes NAMCO has made plenty of RR games but with Forza and the GT games still being popular, plus there’s always love for a good racer that straddles that arcade/sim racer line, I love most of their RR games that I played.  From what I heard, NAMCO was going to make another for the Switch, exclusively, but that got dropped and it appears there are no plans to make a new Ridge Racer game.

• Like 1

Editorials Team · Posted

Myth.  Best games of all time, yet somehow Bungie lost ownership of the franchise, and it's basically been dead since.  They rebooted some of the lore for the Destiny games I hear, but I want the real thing.  Hard to imagine a AAA studio devoting their time to a tactical strategy game though.

I'm playing my sixth Assassin's Creed game as we speak, and plan on skipping like four or five of them, so that's saying something.  Just silly how many of the things they've made.

• Like 1

The fact that System Shock 3 apparently got sucked down into development hell really upsets me. At least we finally got an incredibly high-quality remake of the original but I've kinda lost hope for the arrival of future games.

If you ask me, I feel like Mortal Kombat is passing the point of saturation. I love the early games in the franchise and a couple of the later games are pretty decent but, man, there are just so many of them now and they all start to blend together.

Edited by Webhead123
  • Like 1

Aaaah, of a good one, in my opinion. After the huge success of Minecraft, Mojang got to work making a completely different CCG style tactical game.  It was fun with a bit of depth but not too complex. It had a hexagonal playing field and the prices for card packs and ways to earn cards was very reasonable.  The game was called Scrolls. I loved it.

But as we all know, Microsoft acquired Mojang and all they cared about was Minecraft, so Scrolls was immediately sunsetted.

I would love to see a Scrolls reboot or sequel online TCG, but it’s IP Microsoft threw in the trash and will never bring back.

5 hours ago, JamesRobot said:

The Burnout series should have kept on.  EA's Paradise City was great and all but I'm pretty sure they bought it to kill off competition for their Most Wanted franchise.  Their hasn't been a proper new arcade style racing game in 16 years.

This is how I feel about Ridge Racer.  I do not like the games in the series that leaned too hard into a sim feel, but the ones that are more like Daytona USA are wonderful, but I don’t mind it feeling like a touch like a sim.  RR5 to me was the perfect racer, followed next by the early Cruisin’ games.  They both scratched the racing itch I’d ever had, depending on the mood.

I also own Cruisin’ Blast.  To me, it looks like what you’d expect a modern Cruisin’ game should look like but it also feels like it’s missing something the original three games in the series had.

I always wanted to see Colony Wars continue on past the PS1 generation. Not only did we not get any more from that series, but there were hardly any games even remotely similar on the later consoles. Always bummed me out. 

Also, Blast Corps is probably my favorite game that never got any kind of follow-up.

• Like 1

I don't understand the Mortal Kombat stance. While one could say there are too many games overall - if we hadn't had those, they would never have gotten to the point where we actually started getting good MK games, more than 25 years after the series started.

Not enough is Lost Planet. Instead of a proper LP3 they farmed it out to a middling third-party (part of the same disaster that gave us DmC). Then they gave up on the west and tried a japanese cartoon spinoff which was decent but no comparison. Now the series is so dead, capcom won't even bother trying to fix the PC ports, so you can't even buy them anymore (aside from key resellers). The console versions are okay, and maybe if you use the [new xbox name here] it will force higher framerate, but PC was best and where the biggest player population still resides.

Many many games for the "too many" list. Everything EA and Activision still make, plus Halo, Pokemon, and mobile games as a rule of thumb. I'll also say Sonic, series needed an enema decades ago. 

On 2/5/2024 at 2:35 AM, Sumez said:

I don't understand the Mortal Kombat stance. While one could say there are too many games overall - if we hadn't had those, they would never have gotten to the point where we actually started getting good MK games, more than 25 years after the series started.

Imo, the rate of 1 game every 3-4 years seems about right. It just continues the excellent story mode that happens to have a very good fighting game built into it. 

I wish Kickle Cubicle got itself a sequel. One of my favorite action puzzlers ever.

As for too many sequels? I guess I'll go with CoD, though I have never been an FPS fan in general. 

9 hours ago, Kguillemette said:

I wish Kickle Cubicle got itself a sequel. One of my favorite action puzzlers ever.

Oh hell yeah, now we're talking! In general it's a breed of action puzzle games that just stopped being made after the mid 80s, that I really miss!

I trust you played the arcade version? It has a few puzzles not in the NES game. It's a shorter game, but you just play through all the stages linearly instead of having to navigate a map, and the difficulty ramps up a lot faster. The tougher puzzles feel less stretched out, giving it a faster pace in general. 

And most importantly, the boss fights are much better, the final boss especially feels like a really fitting final test of your feel for the game's core gameplay. 

On 2/5/2024 at 2:35 AM, Sumez said:

I don't disagree. My perspective is as someone that's been there since the first MK in arcades in 1992, the 2D series peaked with UMK3 for me. Deadly Alliance was an amazing resurgence for a seemingly-dead franchise, even though Deception perfected that generation IMHO. MK9 was fun, but the I fell out of it after that. I go back to UMK3 all year 'round still, though. My personal fave.

Mortal Kombat just might be my favorite game series/franchise ever.

12 minutes ago, TDIRunner said:

Speaking of oversaturation, how about the Guitar Hero and Rock Band franchises?  They were huge for a while, then all of the sudden, it was like a new game was getting released each week.  It wasn't really that bad, but overnight everyone just seemed to stop caring.  

I have thought about this for a long time. I am convinced that activision intentionally pushed out as many GH games as possible, in a purposeful effort to crush the market through fatigue. They do this with everything they have that makes money, because they have no concept of long-term brand power, but in this case, I argue it was explicitly done as punishment for Harmonix when they dared defy them by making a "full band" game (and not with activision) and didn't just resign themselves to making guitar games for all eternity. We saw with the Modern Warfare people that Activision has no love for anyone challenging their authority, even if they end up making them huge money. To me, activision has one purpose; Run studios like they're assembly lines and punish anyone who defies them. Given this view, it should be no surprise what all has happened at blizzard over the years, nor any surprise why activision's popular game series all have the same crash and burn life cycle. They can't see a popular property as anything besides a cow to milk and a dead horse to beat. CoD is a special case it seems, because people like the MP enough that they will pay what amounts to a yearly renewal fee to keep playing it. Otherwise, it seems to keep happening, and I think its intentional. Generally I blame Bobby Kotick, who is probably up there with Ray Kassar for history's worst gaming execs.

• Wow! 1

StarTropics should've been at least a trilogy, in my opinion. I do like that Nintendo has at least been willing to release StarTropics on the Wii, Wii U, Switch, and NES Classic so more people have a chance to play it, and hopefully the sequel is released on the Switch's NES App eventually. More Adventures of Lolo games would've been nice, not only because they're good but also since there have been lots of retro-style games on modern systems.

As for what franchise went too far, I don't know. Call of Duty I guess.

Edited by MegaMan52
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, MegaMan52 said:

StarTropics should've been at least a trilogy, in my opinion. I do like that Nintendo has at least been willing to release StarTropics on the Wii, Wii U, Switch, and NES Classic so more people have a chance to play it, and hopefully the sequel is released on the Switch's NES App eventually. More Adventures of Lolo games would've been nice, not only because they're good but also since there have been lots of retro-style games on modern systems.

As for what franchise went too far, I don't know. Call of Duty I guess.

Dude, that's a good one.  I've never understood why they haven't at least once double-backed to this franchise.  My only guess is because it was released to the US market and the Japanese execs forgot about it.  I assume these were still released in Japan (cause why not, and I'm do lazy to verify) but I guess they weren't big hits over there.

Nintendo isn't afraid to farm out games to other studios, and this would be a prime candidate.  Maybe they think any game that didn't get a follow-up on a second console beyond the NES is just too old to be relevant.  Still, StarTropics is OG, old skool, first-party material.  It deserves some love!