IGNORED

Series that should be more, or got too much

Link

17 minutes ago, RH said:

I assume these were still released in Japan (cause why not, and I'm do lazy to verify) but I guess they weren't big hits over there.

Nope, StarTropics was one of the few specifically not released in Japan. Maybe that's why the execs forgot about it, haha

There are tons of NES games not released in Japan, and actually quite a surprising number of Japanese developed ones (Kick Master and Arkista's Ring are a few of my favourites). StarTropics is one of the few that was released in pretty much every overseas territory, and was quite common over here as well, but still not in Japan.

I totally agree the game needed a sequel badly. The one it got wasn't particularly satisfying.

12 hours ago, MegaMan52 said:

More Adventures of Lolo games would've been nice, not only because they're good

I love Lolo, but there's like ten games in that series 😄 And that's not accounting for the differences between the Japanese and Western Lolo 2 and 3 which might as well be entirely different games.

Edited by Sumez
  • Agree 1

20 hours ago, MegaMan52 said:

StarTropics should've been at least a trilogy, in my opinion.

That's a good point, I was surprised Nintendo never made a wii game. The VC version even simulated the decoder paper. Maybe they were testing the waters (heh) and were disappointed by results, or didn't want a sequel to a game unreleased in Japan.

IIRC wasn't the protagonist of Captain Rainbow essentially a version of Mike Jones?

Graphics Team · Posted

I'm probably in the minority here, but I prefer a series to only have a few entries, no matter how good it is.

I just got the full set of 6 Famicom Rockman games over the holidays, but instead of being excited to play them all, I'm just overwhelmed that there are so many of them haha.

[T-Pac]

16 hours ago, Sumez said:

I love Lolo, but there's like ten games in that series 😄 And that's not accounting for the differences between the Japanese and Western Lolo 2 and 3 which might as well be entirely different games.

Oh well, it's been 24 years since the last Eggerland game. I wouldn't mind at least one more someday.

Edited by MegaMan52

I don’t think any franchise should retire as all it takes is a refinement with some slight additions and the franchise may well kick into another gear again. Having said that, and despite my Sega affection, I feel the 3D Sonic games have a limit to how far they can stretch, as the maniacal speed running in a 3D platform doesn’t quite translate well into games. I’m fine with future 2D Sonic games if new concepts can be added.

On 2/10/2024 at 8:27 PM, GPX said:

I don’t think any franchise should retire as all it takes is a refinement with some slight additions and the franchise may well kick into another gear again. Having said that, and despite my Sega affection, I feel the 3D Sonic games have a limit to how far they can stretch, as the maniacal speed running in a 3D platform doesn’t quite translate well into games. I’m fine with future 2D Sonic games if new concepts can be added.

I was of a similar mind until a friend shared Rollin' Rascal with me. Seems to achieve exactly what is missing to me for a 3D Sonic game. It is full of crazy speed, but it's all earned, not just flashy gimmicks as per usual in 3D sonic games. Might consider a look.

On 2/11/2024 at 5:27 AM, GPX said:

Having said that, and despite my Sega affection, I feel the 3D Sonic games have a limit to how far they can stretch, as the maniacal speed running in a 3D platform doesn’t quite translate well into games. I’m fine with future 2D Sonic games if new concepts can be added.

Sega managed to make one good 3D Sonic game with Sonic Generations, in fact I think the 3D stages in that game are usually better than the 2D ones. For how many 3D Sonic games they have made now, it's kind of hilarious that they have only really pulled it off once, but I'd love to see them do it again. Just skip the shitty ones. 🙂 

Edited by Sumez
  • Like 1