IGNORED

Least favorite game you played to completion

Rhuno

3 hours ago, Gloves said:

There's too much that falls into  this category for me, honestly. My trophy hunting years were filled to the brim with garbage games played primarily for trophies.

Just take a look at my PSNProfiles page filtered to the games I've completed to see a list that's half or more worthless garbage: Gloves_Off_Games' PSN Profile • PSNProfiles.com

For somebody who votes "Never played, never will" so much, you sure have wasted a lot of your gaming time

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 3

This is a tough one. If I had completed it, usually it was a fun experience and a memorable one. If it was a mediocre experience and easily forgettable then I would have forgotten it by now! 🤔

I think it would have to be something from an emulation game, likely something which was fun enough to play once, but added nothing new to the genre for me to go back to it ever again.

For now, I’m going to say Rival Turf on the SNES. It was a straight up Final Fight clone with less graphics/atmosphere/sounds. Beat it once, never touched it again since.

Easily Radiant Historia!

It's a game that could be fun in theory, but it's absolutely painful to play, and for some reason I did all the sidequests and extra bonus stuff required to reach and beat the game's True Last Boss, which I still can't in any way rationalize!

Because for all the game's flaws, it's precisely its plethora of pointless sidequests that makes it by far the biggest pain to play!
Each and every one of them require you to go to not even a specific location, but also a specific moment in the game's branching timeline, and at least one of those is rarely given, forcing you to endless trial and error until you find the right person to interact with - which can often be overlooked by accident. It's one of the worst barrages of tedium I've experienced in any JRPG, and I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.

At least the TLB fight is actually entertaining, pretty much the only fight in the entire game to actually utilize the unique combat system well.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Dreadout 2. I'm a huge fan of foreign horror films/games and I loved Dreadout for how amusingly amateur it was, but 2 was flat out miserable. Despite being so short I've never had a single video game leave such a negative impact on me. Probably the worst game I've ever played period.

Laser Blast for 2600... It's fun for 5 minutes... but to roll the score you have to marathon it for hours and hours... just mindless laser blasting... it's the "Desert Bus" of space shooters. sometimes you'll let yourself get shot down just to break up the monotony, which is not a big deal since you get bonus lives so easily.

• Haha 1

On 1/15/2024 at 8:25 AM, twiztor said:

for me the answer is Mario is Missing for SNES. i bought it WAY back in the day and was excited to play a game where Luigi was the main character. Had no idea it was an 'edutainment' game. and use that -tainment suffix extremely generously here. I hated that game. i know the whole game is only like 2 hours long, but i was fuming the whole time. But i forced myself to finish it so that i would never be tempted to try it again. To double down, I WROTE THE FINAL LEVEL PASSWORD ON THE CART WITH A MARKER. Just total contempt for it. 

My brother and I had this for our Mac LC. Aside from the terribly slow load times between stages (about five minutes a go), we spent a lot of time with it and had fun. Its easily one of the best edutainment games I've played. No idea how it compares to the SNES version, I thought the NES version sucked in comparison to the Mac version though.

• Like 1

I remember borrowing Majora's Mask from a friend who really liked the game - I really wanted to like it, but couldn't get into it, and after a month my friend wanted it back. Never finished it, never will, but those aren't the games that we're talking about here.

Least favorite games that I played to completion would be the duo pair of Diddy Kong Racing and Mario Kart on SNES.  

I loved Mario Kart 64, which was my first time entering the go kart racing genre. I always enjoyed racers, but Mario 64 had my favorite Mario characters, fun background music, bright, enjoyable stages, etc. After we mastered the game, we decided we wanted more of the same experience, so we bought the turd that is Super Mario Kart.

That game was rough. The stages are boring, the music is boring, and the game is notoriously hard. Blisters here, blisters there, this was definitely not the experience that Mario Kart 64 was. When my brother moved to a university three hours away, it was decided that he'd take the SNES, and he was so bored he played Mario Kart up there too, hating every minute of it. Total trash.

Our other attempt at finding "more" Mario Kart 64 was a second turd, Diddy Kong Racing. My brother and I grabbed it from Funcoland one night, and we forced ourselves to play it nightly. We thought that wizard guy was stupid, found the game difficulty to be less balanced than Mario Kart 64, and again, the music and stages just weren't great compared to Mario Kart. It got to the point where after our nightly play session of Diddy Kong Racing, we'd force ourselves to come up with some good points about the game. In our minds we knew we were lying though, and we felt so dirty, we'd generally then play a round or two of Mario Kart 64 right afterwards. Man, Diddy Kong Racing was another stinker.

A few others that come to mind include Kid Icarus, M.C. Kids, and Project Blue (the rom running off an Everdrive, I still don't have the Famicom cartridge from the Kickstarter I backed years ago...). Kid Icarus started off fun but it quickly became monotonous, difficult and long. I felt similar about M.C. Kids - it was extremely fun initially, but towards the end I just wanted it to be over as it started to drag a lot, bringing the whole experience down. As for Project Blue? It just felt like a difficult Battle Kid ripoff, another game that I just forced myself to finish yet doubt I'll ever revisit.

It's hard enough for me to complete games I do like, let alone games I don't like. That said, two games stand out as most disappointing (and I know I'll get hate):

Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword - First I'll say the game has wonderful graphics and music, and a few dungeons are some of the best in the series. But I disliked almost everything else about the game. I hated the intro, I hated the flying, I hated how big but empty the world was, I hated getting from area to area, I hated the motion controls when they didn't work (which unfortunately was about half the time), and the story was anticlimactic and overall disappointing. I didn't hate the game but I did feel like I had to force myself through the majority of it. I should never feel like I'm forcing myself to play a game. I don't think it's terrible, I'm glad I played it, but it's far and away my least favorite 3D Zelda.

Final Fantasy XV - I'm a huge FF fan... Or I should say I'm a huge old school FF fan. I feel like the series took a deep nosedive after XII and never recovered. I honestly struggle to find anything good to say about this game other than graphics. The combat was mind numbingly dull, the characters were mostly insufferable, the music was not memorable at all, and the story was an absolute trainwreck. I disliked this game pretty much the entire time I played it. I kept hoping it would get better. It didn't. Then it just ended. It was short for an FF game but it felt half finished which is even worse than a long but complete game. I'm not even sure there's much of a story there at all. Worst villain in FF history. Worst combat system. Worst main characters. I honestly don't know how I pushed myself to finish it. 

2 hours ago, AstralSoul said:

(and I know I'll get hate):

Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword 

Untitled-5.png.8690cfc0457f6941b2342a127bb7dcd0.png

and even I have a ton of complaints about SS. It should have been amazing. It had a couple of fun moments (I think? can't recall any specific one aside from a joke in a cutscene) but good lord, was the plot tedious, the world structure lame (in several ways!), the collectathon bullshit way too much, the repitition annoying and poorly justified, the items most worthless gimmicks with applications that are puzzles but make no practical sense, Fi being all of the worst things that people hate about Navi, multiplied... 

I had such high expectations for that game, and they fell so far. It's my 2nd least favorite Zelda tbh

• Agree 1

11 hours ago, Link said:

Untitled-5.png.8690cfc0457f6941b2342a127bb7dcd0.png

and even I have a ton of complaints about SS. It should have been amazing. It had a couple of fun moments (I think? can't recall any specific one aside from a joke in a cutscene) but good lord, was the plot tedious, the world structure lame (in several ways!), the collectathon bullshit way too much, the repitition annoying and poorly justified, the items most worthless gimmicks with applications that are puzzles but make no practical sense, Fi being all of the worst things that people hate about Navi, multiplied... 

I had such high expectations for that game, and they fell so far. It's my 2nd least favorite Zelda tbh

Agreed it should have one of the best. But it's definitely one of my least favorites. Forgot to mention Fi, who was by far the worst companion character. The game did have a few good moments, specifically a few dungeons. The concept of the game and the motion controls seemed great but it caused way more problems than it should have.