IGNORED

NES Completions thread 2024 - 662/677

Just now, Daniel_Doyce said:

Congrats on that! I think it's the NES Koei game that has the hardest learning curve.

Weird, I thought it was the opposite.  The first time I beat it, I did it on a lark at @Dr. Morbis's house in one sitting...probably how I didn't know the battery was dead (though it was 7 years ago, so that also could've been part of it).  The funny thing in my mind is that this time I didn't actually get to fight Evil Gao Qiu.  His forces fled before he deployed, so he got auto-captured and triggered the ending without ever showing up to the fight 😛

Anyway, I'm starting to think I like it almost as much as Romance II, but that it's actually better in one major way - it's interesting the entire way through.  I find with Romance II (and really, any other Koei strategy game), it's fun at the start, but once you start getting to the half-way point, the rest of the game is a foregone conclusion.  With Bandit Kings, you have to fart around building territory and fame while EGQ turtles and ends up with a stupidly large army by the time you're free to attack him.  As such, it remains interesting for the entire run.  I also like that it's open for challenging yourself.  You can easily choose not to build the fort for the 100 points of popularity, meaning you have to take 9 more provinces than you normally would to make up that gap.  Add in the built in time limit and it's not even guaranteed you'll win the game that way on later scenarios...especially on a higher difficulty, or with a weaker general choice at the start.  I can definitely see myself playing it again in the future.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, BriGuy82 said:

Just bought a sealed copy of Destination Earth Star that I'm gonna open and complete for this thread. I'm excited. 😁

Excited? How much have you played it before? 😄

I really enjoy the 3d space-shooter sections where you're flying around taking out tie-fighters, but the shooter sections are brutally difficult for me. I was practicing the game with save states at the beginning of each level but God damn some of those sections are really unforgiving. Even trying them dozens of times in a row, I still found myself dying regularly to the same stage. Trying to string 8(?) of those together in a row would be an absolute mess. I quickly realized why it's got 7 pain points. This was a couple years ago so I can't remember all the details but damn was it a doozy. I'm sure if you can memorize enough of those sections and/or have better reactions than me, it might not be so bad but boy howdy did that game hand me my ass.

On a more positive note...I'm halfway through world 8 in Fire 'N Ice, so that one should be done soon. Either tomorrow or this weekend, depending how busy I am tomorrow.

• Haha 1

I've been working on AD&D: DragonStrike for the last couple of days, and tonight I finally got through it with the Gold dragon on Hard mode.  Anyone who thinks they're good at NES games needs to try Mission 13 of this game with the Gold dragon on Hard; it took me over four hours just to beat that one level, which was probably more time than I spent on the rest of the game combined.  The final level, Mission 14, only took about half an hour by comparison, and that's including the final boss going down on the first attempt.

And I've gotta say, I'm impressed: great graphics, music and play control, with fun and varied missions, it really is the total package, and playing an NES shooter with tank controls was also a first for me.  I could definitely see myself plowing through it on Easy with one of the other dragons down the road just for fun, but I don't think I'll ever go through Hard mode again in my life...

DragonStrike.JPG

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Finished Super Pitfall haha.  I remembered the speedrun being stupidly short so I followed it and beat it!  Its not as bad (as a speed run) as you'd think.  Its got this really funny thing where after you save the girl, you can lose all your lives, game over, then the game plays the demo and because you're in the spot you should be when you beat the game, it plays the ending.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• The title was changed to NES Completions thread 2024 - 482/677
3 hours ago, guitarzombie said:

Finished Super Pitfall haha.  I remembered the speedrun being stupidly short so I followed it and beat it!  Its not as bad (as a speed run) as you'd think.  Its got this really funny thing where after you save the girl, you can lose all your lives, game over, then the game plays the demo and because you're in the spot you should be when you beat the game, it plays the ending.

Wait, so you don't have to beat the game to beat the game?  That's kind of a fucked up glitch 😛

• Like 1

I finished Karnov too.  Thank god it had infinite continues.  I didn't remember if it did or didnt, but my recollection was it wasn't a super hard game.  In fact some of the bosses are much harder than the final boss.  Another one of those games where if you know what you're doing and know where to use your powerups, its pretty easy.  Of course I was learning it and had to refight bosses over and over again in a weakened state, but I could tell what you make the game easy.  For example, knowing when to use your shield power ups for the boss, and which ones you can cheese.  Also knowing where the powerups are really help too.  Not a terrible game, really.

I know difficulty settings, etc. have been debated in the past but the wincons seem a little inconsistent.

Some games with both high score and looping levels only count after getting a loop (e.g. Dig Dug II, Elevator Action). Some of those looping high score games, particularly where the levels play similarly, count after just beating the high score (e.g. Duck Hunt, Qix). Some games require beating all the modes to see all the content (Jordan vs. Bird, Dance Aerobics) but the Koei games just require whichever single scenario triggers the credits. And why are arcade high scores required and winning exhibition sports games required, but getting par scores in the golf games not required? 😵‍💫

Anyway Bandai Golf is done if you'll accept a +24 score 😆 I assume this all has been debated to death when I wasn't very active.

3 hours ago, guitarzombie said:

I finished Karnov too.  Thank god it had infinite continues.  I didn't remember if it did or didnt, but my recollection was it wasn't a super hard game.  In fact some of the bosses are much harder than the final boss.  Another one of those games where if you know what you're doing and know where to use your powerups, its pretty easy.  Of course I was learning it and had to refight bosses over and over again in a weakened state, but I could tell what you make the game easy.  For example, knowing when to use your shield power ups for the boss, and which ones you can cheese.  Also knowing where the powerups are really help too.  Not a terrible game, really.

When I beat Karnov last year I figured out that you can really exploit the fact that you retain your items after game over.  Makes it very easy to farm.

47 minutes ago, DefaultGen said:

I know difficulty settings, etc. have been debated in the past but the wincons seem a little inconsistent.

Some games with both high score and looping levels only count after getting a loop (e.g. Dig Dug II, Elevator Action). Some of those looping high score games, particularly where the levels play similarly, count after just beating the high score (e.g. Duck Hunt, Qix). Some games require beating all the modes to see all the content (Jordan vs. Bird, Dance Aerobics) but the Koei games just require whichever single scenario triggers the credits. And why are arcade high scores required and winning exhibition sports games required, but getting par scores in the golf games not required? 😵‍💫

Anyway Bandai Golf is done if you'll accept a +24 score 😆 I assume this all has been debated to death when I wasn't very active.

The winning conditions are inevitably somewhat "inconsistent" because there's so little consistency amongst the games of the NES catalog. There's going to be potential ambiguity in any game with multiple difficulties, options, loops, etc.

The base criterion for all endless arcade games is to complete one loop and break the built-in high score. The thing is that some of the really simple high-score games, like Duck Hunt, only have one unique stage. Donkey Kong has three unique stages. Dig Dug II happens to have 72 unique stages.

I've never done Dance Aerobics or Jordan vs. Bird, but I imagine that they fall into the subcategory of mini-game collections without clear endings. With such a game, overcoming all the built-in stages or games becomes a measuring stick.

My understanding of the Koei games is that they tend to have only one ending. The different "scenarios" function like difficulty options, affecting variables like how much time your general has to win his kingdom or how many rivals stand in the way of conquering your kingdom.

I've never been a fan of golf games, but I understand that some of them have built-in par scores and some don't. Barring a clear-cut ending, golf games get considered like high-score arcade games. Play one loop (by doing each hole on the course), and surpass the built-in par score if there is one.

• Like 1

I'm done with Metal Mech. This was originally supposed to be a short playthrough before moving on to DoaE, but I somehow kept choking on the last level over and over again, so that this turned into an evening filling ordeal. What makes the last level so incredibly difficult and aggravating are certain enemies that kill you with one attack. On top of that their hitboxes are extremely janky so that you don't really know when they actually hit you. They also spawn all the time and you have to deal with the extremely awkward controls.

I was so unlucky this time around that I even died on the final boss, which never happened before. Somehow the turrets decided to respawn which I can't remember ever happening before. Anyway, they took my last hit point from my last life of my last continue shortly before I had the final boss beat. Man, I was livid. Well, at least I've earned those pain points. I just couldn't resist those tempting 14 points. But tomorrow I'll return to business as usual with DoaE.

MEtal Mech.jpg

• Like 1

Kid Icarus is beaten.

I got the second best ending. Only ended up with 2 outta 3 special weapons so I missed out on the best ending. I’ll replay it and get it though. Although I will say, attempting to get the worst ending sounds like the toughest achievement, but probably wouldn’t be much fun to go for.

Decent game, although it is rough at the beginning being under-powered and with all the grinding required to level up.

IMG_0909.jpeg

• Like 2

4 hours ago, mbd39 said:

When I beat Karnov last year I figured out that you can really exploit the fact that you retain your items after game over.  Makes it very easy to farm.

My issue was just going in not maxed up on the level 4 and 5 bosses.  The level 4 boss I went in with just the regular shot, which was really tough.  But then when I went to level 5, I used my ladder for the level 4 boss and level 5 doesn't have a ladder so I couldn't get it back.  So now I couldn't power up or get back my health.  Then I soft locked myself and that was it.  Once i restarted, I moved thru all the levels quickly, then got hit at some random enemy at level 5, and it messed me up, so I had to fight the dinosaur not fully powered.  Then I figured out I could use the ladder and even with level 2 shot, the downward shot will hit the dino, and he can't really hit me.  Really those bosses are much easier when you have the shield.  Otherwise most of the game is somewhat of a pushover.

Who Framed Roger Rabbit? is done.

I did stumble upon a tip that could make Doom a *little* bit easier. I was on GameFAQs trying to see if there was a map of the tunnels in the outskirts north of Hollywood. (I've only memorized the locations of the three tunnels closest to the street entrance, and the Will fragment wasn't there tonight. While I didn't get much help with that, I did see that someone posted on the forum there that bombs and exploding cigars (the only weapons that will hurt Doom besides your fists) seem to have greater effect if you start with your fists and get his health bar past the "T" in "STRENGTH" when you charge your punches. Then if you switch to the explosives, they seem to do a bit more damage than if you start the battle with them. You're still mostly stuck fist-fighting the guy for entirely too long.

Of course, I knocked him off the catwalk on the first try with the explosives helping me out. But I let him land too close to the middle. When I got the dip cannon, he still killed me. I had to fight him again with just my fists, but when I knocked him off the catwalk the second time, he was further left and I had more space to melt him with dip.

• Like 1