IGNORED

The very first video game?

Mario_Friend1982

The very first video game?  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Is "Bertie the Brain" truly the very first video game?

On 12/4/2023 at 1:39 PM, ThePhleo said:

https://patents.google.com/patent/GB190114871A/en

July 22, 1901 the first LITERAL video game was patented.

This meets the definition of requiring a video screen. To exclude this, you would have to exclude a PS5 connected to a project, but also count it again if it's played on a TV.

These shooting galleries were popularized from 1912-1915 too, so they had a history that's been long forgotten.

Our time is now

• Love 1

23 hours ago, SilverspoonGaming said:

Those shooting galleries should be classified as "arcade," or "amusement" games.  One of the precursors to video games.  Just my two cents!

I agree, but I like to play this game with @DefaultGen to find the earliest thing you can possibly stretch your imagination to apply as the EARLIEST "Video Game"

He claimed Nimatron (1939) as the first computer game, and I claim El Ajedrecista (1913).

He claimed Bertie the Brain (1950) as the first video game, I claim "Automated Video Projector Shooting Galleries" (Pat. 1901, circa 1913-1915)

He claims "Stick and Rock" (~10,000,000 b.c.e) as the first GAME, I claim "Stick" or "Rock" (~10,000,050 b.c.e.)

In all honesty though, I think there's a little seriousness to my claim though.

The way the machines work is as follows:

1. A film is projected onto a paper screen, with either an animal or an enemy combatant as your target.
  2. The player shoots their target, and when the bullet penetrates the screen, a trigger behind the screen pauses the video, and shines a light from behind to show if you've successfully hit the target.
  3. The game operator will then spool out more paper and the game can continue.

To me, that technically is a type of game that both meets the technical definition of Electromechanical Game, and Video Game. It just lacks any computational element.

It's pretty sophisticated for its time really.

Edited by ThePhleo
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, mbd39 said:

I'd never even heard of this. It's never mentioned in histories of video games.

It's mentioned in this article by Michael Cowen on NECSUS

https://necsus-ejms.org/interactive-media-and-imperial-subjects-excavating-the-cinematic-shooting-gallery/

He also includes a diagram from the January 1892 publication of "La Nature", a scientific journal popular in its day. This diagram shows the idea of mounting a camera to a gun, and attaching its trigger to the guns trigger to take a photo of your target.

8 minutes ago, ThePhleo said:

It's mentioned in this article by Michael Cowen on NECSUS

https://necsus-ejms.org/interactive-media-and-imperial-subjects-excavating-the-cinematic-shooting-gallery/

He also includes a diagram from the January 1892 publication of "La Nature", a scientific journal popular in its day. This diagram shows the idea of mounting a camera to a gun, and attaching its trigger to the guns trigger to take a photo of your target.

It's from the SUPPLEMENT to that issue of 1892 La Nature. Don't go buying the actual 1892 magazine 😠