IGNORED

25 Years of The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

joe19

Editorials Team · Posted
4 minutes ago, Gentlegamer said:

Hey, I was a PC Gamer subscriber, so I was all over it.  But I feel like the Half Life hype was much quieter that year.  There were too many shooters on the scene, and Valve was an unknown quality, so it didn't stand out as much until after it came out and the reviews rolled in.

In fact, I don't think it garnered a single cover story from PC Gamer, Computer Gaming World, Computers Games Strategy Plus, or anyone.

Just now, Reed Rothchild said:

Hey, I was a PC Gamer subscriber, so I was all over it.  But I feel like the Half Life hype was much quieter that year.  There were too many shooters on the scene, and Valve was an unknown quality, so it didn't stand out as much until after it came out and the reviews rolled in.

I'll give you that, in pro-wrestling terms, Half-Life didn't get a push the way other games did at the time, it found its place after blowing the socks off reviewers.

Editorials Team · Posted
Just now, Gentlegamer said:

I'll give you that, in pro-wrestling terms, Half-Life didn't get a push the way other games did at the time, it found its place after blowing the socks off reviewers.

Yep, agreed.  I got SiN for Christmas that year from my dad because it was too late to realize what I should have asked for lmao

This cover accurately sums it up

ValveTime on X: "Computer Gaming World 167's cover (June 1998). #halflife  https://t.co/0TieerDRiW" / X

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Reed Rothchild said:

Yep, agreed.  I got SiN for Christmas that year from my dad because it was too late to realize what I should have asked for lmao

This cover accurately sums it up

ValveTime on X: "Computer Gaming World 167's cover (June 1998). #halflife  https://t.co/0TieerDRiW" / X

My close, personal friend, Jeff Green* reviewed Half-Life for CGW.

*I chat with him online and sometimes mod his twitch streams

I also apologize if I've derailed the thread, this should really be about Ocarina of Time.

Events Team · Posted

Also, that is an absolutely amazing collection there @joe19! Multiple things there I've never even seen before, would definitely love to get some more details about some of that stuff.

I've had, and still have a couple rare OoT-related things. At one point I did own a gold Not For Resale copy of Ocarina of Time, and I still do own two gray not for resales, one of which has a somewhat strangely shaped back sticker on it, which I've never seen on any other NFR, I got it from jonebone back in the day, and he I believe got it alongside a bunch of other N64 NFRs from a former Nintendo employee if memory serves. I would take a picture but I'm lazy, it's basically the same as the normal back sticker you'd find on any other NFR, except it's more of a rectangle than a square. I also have CIB copies of the Taiwan and Hong Kong versions of the game (Used to have several other variants, but have since sold them off to fund other stuff.)

The "holy grail" of my little collection is the Belgium-exclusive Feel Everything bundle though:

But yeah, overall my tiny lil' collection pales in comparison to yours, haha. Super jealous of some of the stuff you have.

• Like 2

Awesome collection for still the best Zelda game released. BotW and the original come close but they can’t top OoT. The music, the atmosphere and dungeons are all perfect. Here’s to another 25 years!

I still remember waiting all day and hoping my mum was able to secure a copy of the game. Got home and there it was!

This was released near the end of December in Australia and I think it was the last week of school. Being summer here, I spent most of summer holidays playing it.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, RH said:

The site is old and the cert has expired but you can get to the page:

http://www.oot-2d.com/

we have seen countless attempts at this idea come and go for over a decade now, never making much progress, and we plan on breaking that cycle.

1 hour ago, RH said:

That actually exists, or the project got close to completion.

2016/03/update

Hopefully coming this June!

Project progress  19.5%

😑 

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, JamesRobot said:

More importantly, today is the 10th anniversary of the best 3D Zelda game, A Link Between Worlds.

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2023/11/anniversary-zelda-a-link-between-worlds-is-10-years-old-today

A Link Between Worlds is incredible. It's like Link to the Past if it was good. 😏

• Wow! 1
  • Eyeroll 1

I feel like half the school had this game when it came out. Everyone was discussing strats on the Water Temple after Xmas break. Funny enough, the one part I got really stuck on was finding Saria in the Lost Woods because I didn't read the text and just moved on to explore every inch of the map until I figured I needed to go back to the woods.

The temples are great in this game but the child quest is pretty boring after playing through the game a few times. Still a great game I like to revisit. I think I still have the promo stuff like stickers, gold shopping bag, etc. from release.

• Like 2

There wasn't too much fanfare about the anniversary. I wasn't expecting anything from Nintendo directly, but overall I only saw a couple articles mention it. I wonder if that's a sign that the game is gradually being forgotten. I'll try to keep it alive with another update (added pics/details of flaming logo tee to main post).

• Like 1

6 hours ago, joe19 said:

There wasn't too much fanfare about the anniversary. I wasn't expecting anything from Nintendo directly, but overall I only saw a couple articles mention it. I wonder if that's a sign that the game is gradually being forgotten. I'll try to keep it alive with another update (added pics/details of flaming logo tee to main post).

What I typically see is celebrations of a franchise as a whole. In 3 years they might do "40 years of LoZ". "25 years of our great institution" in Skyward Sword. They did Super Mario 35th anniversary, but not 20 years of SM64 or 30 years of SMW. I don't think OoT is being forgotten 🙂

• Agree 2