IGNORED

25 Years of The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

joe19

On 11/30/2023 at 9:59 AM, dogbowl said:

I preordered mine from EB Games and I believe that it was the first game I had ever pre-ordered.

Came with a stack of freebies that I still have. The t-shirt is aging poorly 😞

That's awesome. I love it when people still have their original receipts for these old games. 

Different stores each had their own pre-order bonus that they gave out. E.g. Best Buy had some black binder/folder, Babbage's and Software Etc gave out a hint book calendar (pics of each of those are in the main post), but EB definitely had the best one with that gold loot bag.

• Like 1

I remember a frenzy of excitement and anticipation about OoT here in Australia. All the medieval TV ads, snippets with sneak peaks of "Zelda 64" in the old Nintendo Magazine System editions months before release. Lots of hype regarding the jump from 2D to 3D, like with Super Mario 64. big lines at the kiosks with people wanting to play it. Truly a blockbuster title from a bygone era and a title I enjoy visiting once a year. Like reconnecting with an old friend, you feel comfortable and at ease 🙂 I love the leaps and bounds BOTW and TOTK have made, but would eventually love a return to a more linear Zelda game like OoT down the line.

Here's my Australian OoT Promo poster which was displayed in stores upon release. This is a very early version, later versions have the release date featured.

403603348_1450262158869574_585893891478840574_n.jpg

• Like 1
  • Wow! 1

Events Team · Posted
3 minutes ago, Super Nintendo Chalmers said:

I remember a frenzy of excitement and anticipation about OoT here in Australia. All the medieval TV ads, snippets with sneak peaks of "Zelda 64" in the old Nintendo Magazine System editions months before release. Lots of hype regarding the jump from 2D to 3D, like with Super Mario 64. big lines at the kiosks with people wanting to play it. Truly a blockbuster title from a bygone era and a title I enjoy visiting once a year. Like reconnecting with an old friend, you feel comfortable and at ease 🙂 I love the leaps and bounds BOTW and TOTK have made, but would eventually love a return to a more linear Zelda game like OoT down the line.

Here's my Australian OoT Promo poster which was displayed in stores upon release. This is a very early version, later versions have the release date featured.

403603348_1450262158869574_585893891478840574_n.jpg

That poster looks awesome! Almost looks like a theatrical film poster, shitty tagline and all, haha. I must admit, as someone who was born in 2001, I am somewhat jealous of those of you who were there to see the release of this game, it sounds like it was a really fun time in gaming history.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ZeldaFreak said:

That poster looks awesome! Almost looks like a theatrical film poster, shitty tagline and all, haha. I must admit, as someone who was born in 2001, I am somewhat jealous of those of you who were there to see the release of this game, it sounds like it was a really fun time in gaming history.

A few other games had these generic taglines and quotes on their posters, Banjo-Kazooie was another title. Probably to hype up the blockbuster angle.  In the early stages of the internet, digital age we were unlucky/luck enough to be drip fed information through various print mediums, which eventually made releases all the more exciting considering we weren't across all the details. Imo. Definitely a bygone era!

• Like 1

Updated main post with some soundtracks. That about does it for collection pic updates from me on this thread. Hope you enjoyed! I’ll leave you with one more fun fact:

The music in Hyrule Field is broken into approximately 10 second long “phrases” that are partly randomized and partly based on Link’s actions. In particular, they are grouped into three categories: one that contains phrases with an adventurous feel for when Link is in motion, one with phrases that have a calm feel for when Link is standing still and one that has phrases with a tense feel for when enemies are nearby. Specifically, every 10 or so seconds, when one phrase is ending and the game needs to choose the next one, it will check Link’s current action and randomly choose a phrase from one of the above three categories, but will never choose the same phrase twice. For example, if Link is running, one of the phrases from the “adventurous” category will be selected. If he passes near an enemy at the time that that phrase ends, the game will switch to one of the phrases from the “tense” category.

You can take advantage of this fact to manipulate the music. For instance if, like me, you prefer the calm segments, but don’t want to just stand still all the time to hear them, you can listen for when one phrase is ending and the next is about to start. At that time, just before the game chooses the next phrase, simply stop running (and ensure no enemies are nearby) and the game will choose a calm segment to play. Now you have another 10 seconds of relaxing music to run around to. This can be done perpetually to ensure optimal relaxation in Hyrule Field.

• Like 1