IGNORED

Giving your kids your games for Christmas

Reed Rothchild

Poll  

27 members have voted

1. 1. This idea...

• ...is great.
    • ...is stupid.
    • ...is some combination of great and stupid.
    • ...I don't get it.
    • ...you're a monster.

Editorials Team · Posted

So, something that came up recently, that I've never heard anyone else do.  Maybe because it's so brilliant. Or so stupid.  Or both.

My kids love two things right now: videos games and football.  So for Xmas they are getting decked out in NFL gear: jerseys, ball caps, winter hats, shirts, balls, the whole deal.

And my dad always gets them ski shit and other "responsible" presents.  New ski coats, gloves, etc.  That's out of the way.

So that leaves one major thing: of course the boys also want a video game for Christmas, but we basically already own all the good ones already.  And I'm not going to buy a Nickelodeon racing or a How to Train Your Dragon Platforming Adventure because we'll just ignore those and play the better games anyway.  No point in scraping the bottom of the barrel for no reason.  So I had an epiphany:

Each kid can pick one game from my collection, to keep for their own.

Now, in a way this is a partially symbolic gesture.  At this point we all play together anyways, so it's not like this would make any real difference to how gaming goes.  But they are all psyched.  They have thousands of choices, so it's like being in the world's biggest GameStop, and the price is free.

Their tentative choices at the moment?  Owlboy, Mario Rabbids, and Darksiders Genesis.  Hardly breaking the bank 😅

I'm also planning on including a surprise bonus game wrapped with each of those.

I also told them we'll figure out a shelving solution so they all have a section to display their trophy games.

Anyway, I can't tell if I'm a trailblazer or a monster.

• Like 2

• The title was changed to Giving your kids your games for Christmas
3 hours ago, Reed Rothchild said:

So, something that came up recently, that I've never heard anyone else do.  Maybe because it's so brilliant. Or so stupid.  Or both.

My kids love two things right now: videos games and football.  So for Xmas they are getting decked out in NFL gear: jerseys, ball caps, winter hats, shirts, balls, the whole deal.

And my dad always gets them ski shit and other "responsible" presents.  New ski coats, gloves, etc.  That's out of the way.

So that leaves one major thing, and of course the boys also want a video game for Christmas, but we basically already own them all.  No point in scraping the bottom of the barrel for no reason.  So I had an epiphany:

Each kid can pick one game from my collection, to keep for their own.

Now, in a way this is a partially symbolic gesture.  At this point we all play together anyways, so it's not like there's any real difference to how gaming goes.  But they are all psyched.  They have thousands of choices, so it's like being in the world's biggest GameStop, and the price is free.

Their tentative choices at the moment?  Owlboy, Mario Rabbids, and Darksiders Genesis.  Hardly breaking the bank 😅

I'm also planning on including a surprise bonus game wrapped with each of those.

I also told them we'll figure out a shelving solution so they all have a section to display their trophy games.

Anyway, I can't tell if I'm a trailblazer or a monster.

C0C14D23-D4C6-43F9-AE1A-09A71F1A4EA4.jpeg

• Haha 3

Administrator · Posted

I think it's a great idea.  I honestly have no idea why anyone would say it is stupid or even a combination of great and stupid.

I don't have kids, but I know if I did, and with the quantity of games that I have now, if I could gradually gift them some that they would really enjoy, I think it's a win win.  I guess it depends on what your collecting goals are and if someone wants a fullset and doesn't want to break it up, for example, but I know for me, the games aren't doing all that much good sitting on a shelf, so if I could see my kids enjoy them and/or play with them, talk about games we all like, it sounds like a really cool thing.  

Title is misleading! I was like who questions giving kids video games for Xmas lol?? But it’s more like hand me down games for Christmas? I went with is great, unless your kids really want games you don’t have. I would do the same, it’s win win unless my son really wants like Aero Fighters or Sculptors Cut lmao

Besides nothing says merry Xmas like a shitload of Niners gear!

edit: you should totally make like a big certificate or like a Wonka Golden Ticket they have to trade in to get a game 

Edited by a3quit4s
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, spacepup said:

I honestly have no idea why anyone would say it is stupid or even a combination of great and stupid.

He said it himself. They are not getting anything "new" for christmas, just a game they already do have access to playing as much as they'd like, so as a present it seems kind of symbolic.

• Agree 1

Graphics Team · Posted

@Reed Rothchild I guess I'm a bit confused - is your game collection not something your kids can just peruse and play at their leisure? I'm not a parent, but I guess I just always assumed that video games in a household like yours would be more of a communal thing instead of "this one is dad's game" and "this one is mom's game" and "this one is little Billy's game", etc.

If your kids seem stoked on the idea, though, I see no reason not to go with it. The only problem is if they see it as a hand-me down (like @a3quit4s said) and that kills the excitement.

[T-Pac]

• Agree 1

Administrator · Posted

Yea, I mean, he literally said "But they are all psyched"

Even if the games are in the house, it seems like they'll enjoy having their OWN collections and being like dad.  I love the idea of giving them their own shelving system and everything.  It also sounds like you are giving them other things as well and not ONLY 'hand-me-downs' for Christmas, so I really see no way in which this is 'stupid.'  I think it's a great idea and it seems like it makes everyone happy, so why not?!

• Agree 1

I actually did this the other day with my son. He has his own personal collection of games he's received as gifts or bought with his own money, but of course has the run of the collection if he really wants. That said, the idea of ownership does seem to make a difference for him.

Case in point, I bought Super Smash Bros. Melee w/steelbook for everyone to play, but have come to find that I really don't like Smash Bros. games. I sold off the N64 and GC ones (still need to sell the Wii U Controller bundle edition), but I kept the Switch games since he's been playing it a ton. He did a bunch of nice things around here the other day, so I decided to give him the game for his personal collection and he WAS OVER THE MOON about this; again, it seems that there is something about being the owner of the game for him (maybe it's the idea of control, I don't know, because they can always play whatever they'd like around here). 

I think this is a great idea, Reed, and it's great that the kids are excited about it; win-win as far as I'm concerned.

Funny aside, my daughter had some friends over last weekend (bunch of 9 year old girls), and she was showing them around the house. Now, I've trained the kids to respect the games and ask me for help opening boxed games, so when she got to touring the game room, I overheard my daughter say about CIB Hagane, "...and that one up there is worth, like, $500 and we would need gloves!", followed by one girl saying, "Your dad must be rich" and a bunch of 'oh's and ah's'; I was cracking up, I never told her anything like that 🤣

• Like 2
  • Haha 1