IGNORED

Adam Johnson (1994-2023) -- neck cut and bled to death during hockey game from skate impact...

Estil

Moderator · Posted

As a fellow Minnesotan that saw Adam play in high school and college its terribly sad. The guy that caused it should have charges pressed against him. As someone that has skated my whole life, it was an intentional kick, one of the most reckless things I’ve ever seen in sports. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, doner24 said:

As a fellow Minnesotan that saw Adam play in high school and college its terribly sad. The guy that caused it should have charges pressed against him. As someone that has skated my whole life, it was an intentional kick, one of the most reckless things I’ve ever seen in sports. 

I was wondering about that.

39 minutes ago, doner24 said:

Wait what? I thought it was just an accident or freak accident…you’re saying it was intentional? That’s like manslaughter 

edit: jeez apparently he was skating up ice, as a ice hockey fan for many years you always assume this happened while he was down on the ice somehow. How do you even hit someone in the neck with a skate while they are standing…was he like upended or threw his feet while being checked…

Edited by a3quit4s
  • Wow! 1

Moderator · Posted
3 hours ago, a3quit4s said:

Wait what? I thought it was just an accident or freak accident…you’re saying it was intentional? That’s like manslaughter 

edit: jeez apparently he was skating up ice, as a ice hockey fan for many years you always assume this happened while he was down on the ice somehow. How do you even hit someone in the neck with a skate while they are standing…was he like upended or threw his feet while being checked…

In my opinion he clearly reached out with his legs to hit him, and extended them into his neck. I don’t think for a second that he meant to hurt him like this, but the guy is a goon that led the league in penalty minutes. Nothing even close to something resembling a hockey move. 

Moderator · Posted

To further add, he almost had a collision with another skater and started to fall, and then saw Adam and kicked his legs out and up to interfere with him while he skated by. 

I sure do hope it was an accident...but I think it'd be far wiser to give it a few days and let the police do their investigation and find out what really happened one way or the other.  I for one don't want to jump to conclusions about the idea that he purposely hit him with a skate...that would be just...too unconscionable to even think about... 😢

Moderator · Posted
49 minutes ago, PII said:

Brutal.

That looked like quite a kick.

You'd think they'd be well prepared on the sidelines to stop a player's blood loss....

A cut that deep that severs the carotid and jugular means you have very little time to stop it before death. Unfortunately there may have been enough damage between the initial cut and the time he got to the bench that it didn’t matter what happened. 

Reminds me of the Clint Malarchuk incident in the 90s.  He was lucky to have survived, and iirc he's the reason there's an ambulance on standby at all NHL games.  Honestly, given the speed of the game and the fact they're all gliding around the ice on literal razor blades, I'm surprised this kind of thing doesn't happen more often.  Tragic, but it's a risk that most players are well aware of.

15 minutes ago, doner24 said:

A cut that deep that severs the carotid and jugular means you have very little time to stop it before death. Unfortunately there may have been enough damage between the initial cut and the time he got to the bench that it didn’t matter what happened. 

No argument there.  But you've got guys skating 20mph with blades on their feet and war clubs in their hands.  It seems to me there really ought to be someone on each side qualified and ready to stitch up a potentially mortal wound right there on the ice in such an event.  JMO.

1 hour ago, PII said:

Brutal.

That looked like quite a kick.

You'd think they'd be well prepared on the sidelines to stop a player's blood loss....

I don't think they were figuring on that much blood loss.

And let's not also forget a little over 100 years we had (and I hope will continue to be the ONLY) MLB player killed in the line of duty:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ray_Chapman

Moderator · Posted
31 minutes ago, PII said:

No argument there.  But you've got guys skating 20mph with blades on their feet and war clubs in their hands.  It seems to me there really ought to be someone on each side qualified and ready to stitch up a potentially mortal wound right there on the ice in such an event.  JMO.

Something similar happened to a goalie in the NHL quite a few years ago. The trainer ran out to him and mentioned his experience doing similar things in Vietnam as to the reason he was able to save him. Not sure many trainers have similar real world experience. 

19 hours ago, PII said:

When you’re talking about a cut at the carotid artery, then you really need a vascular surgeon in an operating room condition. This isn’t something that can be fixed by doing a simple stitch on the skin surface. 

Unfortunately, unlike any other area of cut wounds, a full wound compression here isn’t going to do the trick. Because full compression of the carotid artery would lead to a stroke and death within minutes. 

2 hours ago, GPX said:
22 hours ago, PII said:

When you’re talking about a cut at the carotid artery, then you really need a vascular surgeon in an operating room condition. This isn’t something that can be fixed by doing a simple stitch on the skin surface. 

Unfortunately, unlike any other area of cut wounds, a full wound compression here isn’t going to do the trick. Because full compression of the carotid artery would lead to a stroke and death within minutes. 

Both very good points.  But doesn't the latter indicate the importance of being able to treat this kind of injury on the spot?  Once again, it's just my opinion but it seems to me that sports teams/ their owners have more than enough money to hire an appropriate individual, hell, a fleet of appropriate individuals to bring the operating room conditions right to the sideline where they know injuries are going to take place.  It would be a benefit to any injured player to be able to get immediate treatment.  But it's probably a moot point at this point anyway since people with money tend to want to hang onto it and I read something somewhere about neck guards instantly being made a new requirement...

31 minutes ago, PII said:

Both very good points.  But doesn't the latter indicate the importance of being able to treat this kind of injury on the spot?  Once again, it's just my opinion but it seems to me that sports teams/ their owners have more than enough money to hire an appropriate individual, hell, a fleet of appropriate individuals to bring the operating room conditions right to the sideline where they know injuries are going to take place.  It would be a benefit to any injured player to be able to get immediate treatment.  But it's probably a moot point at this point anyway since people with money tend to want to hang onto it and I read something somewhere about neck guards instantly being made a new requirement...

They already have an onsite oral surgeon and several medical personnel at every NHL game, and several lives have already been saved by having those personnel.

Like Jesse said, with how deep this one was they could have had a surgical team there and he wouldn't have even made it to the table before he died.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, captmorgandrinker said:

hey already have an onsite oral surgeon and several medical personnel at every NHL game, and several lives have already been saved by having those personnel.

Like Jesse said, with how deep this one was they could have had a surgical team there and he wouldn't have even made it to the table before he died.

Yeah, ok.  I guess the neck guard is probably the path to take.  Granted he needed a helping hand to get up, but I'm kinda surprised he had it in him to skate off the ice...

52 minutes ago, PII said:

It's impossible. If you turn a garden hose on full blast and cut it open, are you going to be able to sew it back together with water pouring out and someone moving it around? With the pressure on this artery / vein, it can't be put back together once it's cut so it's a death sentence. And even if you manage to put enough pressure on it to cut blood flow, you're starving the brain of oxygen so then you have brain damage after 7 minutes.

43 minutes ago, PII said:

it seems to me that sports teams/ their owners have more than enough money to hire an appropriate individual, hell, a fleet of appropriate individuals to bring the operating room conditions right to the sideline where they know injuries are going to take place.

Regardless of what would have been possible in this incident, and hypothetically speaking… I’d think that should be a league position or maybe a venue staff position. Like referee, this is impartial; there’s no reason for onsite EMS to be dependent on the team.

And apparently there were medical professionals on site. 

Meanwhile, at the pro level it seems that everybody is defending the other player. I haven’t been able to find clear footage so I can’t armchair judge but it sounds like Petgrave got knocked over? Hockey is a violent sport. Neck guards, bring ‘em on.