IGNORED

Sometimes You Wince, Sometimes You Lose

What makes you personally cringe when it comes to game collecting? I love hearing about "rare items" and "Holy grails", but it hurts watching videos on them by people who have zero idea on them.

People who put Earthbound in the top 5 rarest Snes games. Or clickbait thumbnails with the creator looking like a fucking blow up doll, while either a blurred game or photoshopped black game is opposite them (pokemon card videos are some of the worst for this). 

Do you have any? Wanted to try and keep this thread different to the "what do you hate in collecting" threads. 

• Agree 2

@DarkTone Your call out of EB and blow-up doll face I would have listed so nice calls.

The losers who throw around bounties on stuff would be another, the pay whatever it takes types and either make that very clear and open, or they quietly throw it out there (or mentally cling to it) and when X item comes up they'll throw $500 or maybe even $5000 or more hoping that and not a higher cap they used is taken.  They're cringy and cancerous as it just hurts anyone else who cares about the game, not the concept how much they can coax out of the next patsy with a fat wallet and low self control.

They're like the newer form of the old attention seekers who would do FIND videos on youtube or talk up so called hidden gems.  Given maybe a little leniency to start maybe they really did care about the game, but the effect of it early on caused others to get a bad case of FOMO and made it clear pumping out more videos lined their pockets to increase their financial value in a WATA/HA halperin-bronty style kind of reach around to profit.  That former sealed game maybe was worth $1000, but let's make a sale/a video then sale and then throw unfounded speculation of rarity and value and suddenly it's worth 100x more.  Sure, that's all because of the love of the game.

• Like 1

It doesn’t happen on here, but the only other place Im active is reddit.

The sheer number of “what’s this worth” across all the classic game subs is gross. 

This one is specific to me just from doing this too long and being jaded. I hate the the showing off “rate my collection” type posts and “find/score/pickup” posts. Im just tired of seeing people post their collection/finds with nothing unique. Your “find” isn’t that interesting when its a handful of PS3 and 360 games. 

I scroll right past all these posts to find actual discussion or question type posts

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

4 hours ago, LeatherRebel5150 said:

The sheer number of “what’s this worth” across all the classic game subs is gross. 

This one is specific to me just from doing this too long and being jaded. I hate the the showing off “rate my collection” type posts and “find/score/pickup” posts. Im just tired of seeing people post their collection/finds with nothing unique. Your “find” isn’t that interesting when its a handful of PS3 and 360 games. 

I scroll right past all these posts to find actual discussion or question type posts

These same groups get mad if you post something too valuable because you're only in it for the money then.

• Like 1

Editorials Team · Posted
5 hours ago, LeatherRebel5150 said:

This one is specific to me just from doing this too long and being jaded. I hate the the showing off “rate my collection

"Rate my collection!"

Uh, you have the same 40 Pokemon, Mario, and Zelda games as everyone else/10?

• Like 1

I might skim some of those, but usually I just don't bother as it's just showing the likely case of someone wanting to knoe what they can sell it for, even if they're not going to admit it.

If someone asks how to do a game, improve something, how to remove a rental defacement, repair, etc I'll reply on that, along with uniquely interesting stuff.  I get that daily feed email of 5 randoms (and click for more) from reddit so I keep up that way otherwise I'd forget about it for a week or two easily like discord.

mostly these few:

- young people under 30 collecting NES/SNES,
and talking about said games being classics,
as if they were even alive when those games were released.

- people showing off their collection of NES games,
and saying Ninja GAY-den instead of Ninja GUY-den,
i instantly close the video in this case, as said person is clearly an amateur.

- people who post "top 10 rarest NES/SNES/N64 games" videos,
and then keep copy-pasting each other in constantly saying that Stadium Events for the NES was pulled from shelves back then, even though there is no evidence for that at all, as Pat explained, most of them probably were never stocked, and the ones that did sold poorly.
coupled with a potentional lower print run, and you got yourself a pretty rare game.

- the overblown hype of some games USA releases,
which makes the hype carry over to European releases of the same games.

• Disagree 1

13 hours ago, Friendsfa35 said:

So because I am under thirty I am not able to recognize a game as influential or important and have fun with it? Nowadays the "classics" have been available new a number of times on various platforms, so many of us have been able to experience them. For example with me I played the Mario Advance series growing up, which were just remakes of "classics" plus mario bros (my favorite arcade game because of that". 

Part of what makes some of these games truly classics is that they span generations I think. 

Edited by SNESNESCUBE64
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1

12 hours ago, Friendsfa35 said:

mostly these few:

- people showing off their collection of NES games,
and saying Ninja GAY-den instead of Ninja GUY-den,
i instantly close the video in this case, as said person is clearly an amateur.

- people who post "top 10 rarest NES/SNES/N64 games" videos,
and then keep copy-pasting each other in constantly saying that Stadium Events for the NES was pulled from shelves back then, even though there is no evidence for that at all, as Pat explained, most of them probably were never stocked, and the ones that did sold poorly.
coupled with a potentional lower print run, and you got yourself a pretty rare game.

- the overblown hype of some games USA releases,
which makes the hype carry over to European releases of the same games.

You first take is just gatekeeping, plain and simple. 

Your  second point, I say Ninja-gay-den, always have, always will. Has nothing to do with being an “amateur” whatever that means 

• Confused 1
  • Agree 2

You know what I hate?  Messed up flaps on my NES boxes.  The crushing feeling of seeing what at first glance appears to be a beautiful box only to discover seconds later that the flaps are fucked up.  

Also, really irritates me when anyone takes any of this collecting super seriously.  It’s objectively stupid but I enjoy it and it drives me nuts when folks refuse to acknowledge the silliness of it all.

• Agree 1

On 10/26/2023 at 10:36 AM, Reed Rothchild said:

"Rate my collection!"

Uh, you have the same 40 Pokemon, Mario, and Zelda games as everyone else/10?

Lol that reminds me in the Facebook Switch group where people say "rate my collection" and it's the 20 or 30 games all being 1st party commons. It's pretty common, but meh can't say anything bad just like the post and move on.

The most notorious right now is Super Mario 3D All Stars being a "rare" pick-up.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Skorp said:

Lol that reminds me in the Facebook Switch group where people say "rate my collection" and it's the 20 or 30 games all being 1st party commons. It's pretty common, but meh can't say anything bad just like the post and move on.

The most notorious right now is Super Mario 3D All Stars being a "rare" pick-up.

Nintendo did say it had a limited release. Not sure why, in both them saying and doing it

On 10/27/2023 at 3:39 AM, DarkTone said:

A lot of the youtube collector videos are the worst. Its like they heard 1 thing about said game (blockbuster exclusive, only 1000 made, etc) and run with it.

Nintendo did day it had a limited release. Not sure why, in both them saying and doing it

What's worse is whether it is right or wrong to your comment, the ones above...they just stick with it, then double and triple down as others bounce of that being coin begging babies up on YT wanting that YT, patreon, etc grift yet supplying or bringing nothing new to the table.  Sad thing is, sometimes you even hit a point where it's plausible, yet because you may know better but can't back it up, it gets drowned out with more stupidity it makes you question why to even bother.

Well it was the year of it, it was a marketing ploy because it's easier now than say 30 years ago to pull that racket and have it stick thanks to the internet.  The game was limited, limited into the millions to the point no matter how much they hyped it you could find stacks well after it was apparently put out of print at major retailers nation wide.  It makes me think back to the first time they did that kind of limited bit, SMAS+World, the under a year packin with how many consoles?  It still surprises me that one gets off so cheap vs this Switch game with exponentially more copies that weren't tied to bought hardware.

Edited by Tanooki

Graphics Team · Posted

I try not to let too much bother me, but there is something that makes me cringe a bit...

I see a lot of "pickups" posts where people grab piles of stuff from garage sales and flea markets and even local game stores, not because they're particularly interested in it, but purely because "it's a video game and it's here in front of me".

If you saved those funds and put them towards games you're actively hunting instead, you'd have a beautifully curated collection without a bunch of filler you never cared about in the first place. 

To each their own, though. I won't pretend I'm not guilty of doing this exact thing on occasion haha.

[T-Pac]

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

Editorials Team · Posted
1 hour ago, T-Pac said:

I try not to let too much bother me, but there is something that makes me cringe a bit...

I see a lot of "pickups" posts where people grab piles of stuff from garage sales and flea markets and even local game stores, not because they're particularly interested in it, but purely because "it's a video game and it's here in front of me".

If you saved those funds and put them towards games you're actively hunting instead, you'd have a beautifully curated collection without a bunch of filler you never cared about in the first place. 

To each their own, though. I won't pretend I'm not guilty of doing this exact thing on occasion haha.

[T-Pac]

Yep.

I remember once I bought a bunch of clearance DS games when Hastings was closing.  Dirt cheap stuff.

But then when I added up the total cost it was like $30.

And I remember thinking "would I rather have all of these things, or one marquee DS game on my wishlist that I could have purchased for the same price?"

Very revelatory moment.

1 hour ago, Reed Rothchild said:

Yep.

I remember once I bought a bunch of clearance DS games when Hastings was closing.  Dirt cheap stuff.

And I remember thinking "would I rather have all of these things, or one marquee DS game on my wishlist that I could have purchased for the same price?"

Very revelatory moment.

Same, and then I bought all those clearance DS games.

• Love 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Reed Rothchild said:

Yep.

Very revelatory moment.

I did that just the other week, but it was with MVS games, and I bought them anyway.