IGNORED

Sometimes You Wince, Sometimes You Lose

On 10/31/2023 at 2:13 PM, fcgamer said:

I did that just the other week, but it was with MVS games, and I bought them anyway.

Yeah but having seen that since I've been going over those MVS finds you get there, I wouldn't put it on the same level.  You're not picking up filler, and even those you got +1 copies of aren't $2 DS turds but something others would appreciate which could easily mean trades with others to get a nice new game without taking the arcade game price hit.  Even if I remember right saw you had a spare of a game I'd take a crack at I annoyingly let go of years ago.

"Did I do good?" posts.  Either you know you did good or you didn't, and you can go online to figure out how well you did.  Similarly related is the "What's this pile worth?" post.  Just figure it out bub, there are a lot of tools around to do so.

On the cardboard side people who don't know how to open cardboard box games without trashing the top and sides when flaps are notched.  I've been focusing on Game Gear for awhile, so maybe this only irks me more currently since it is just at the forefront of what I'm seeing regularly.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

On 10/26/2023 at 3:58 PM, Friendsfa35 said:

mostly these few:

- young people under 30 collecting NES/SNES,
and talking about said games being classics,
as if they were even alive when those games were released.

- people showing off their collection of NES games,
and saying Ninja GAY-den instead of Ninja GUY-den,
i instantly close the video in this case, as said person is clearly an amateur.

- people who post "top 10 rarest NES/SNES/N64 games" videos,
and then keep copy-pasting each other in constantly saying that Stadium Events for the NES was pulled from shelves back then, even though there is no evidence for that at all, as Pat explained, most of them probably were never stocked, and the ones that did sold poorly.
coupled with a potentional lower print run, and you got yourself a pretty rare game.

- the overblown hype of some games USA releases,
which makes the hype carry over to European releases of the same games.

Young people are important to a hobby, they keep it going so it doesn't die off with the old original crowd. You have no sense at all.

Look at 80s home computers, look at how well those aren't doing because of their poor accessibility, being complicated, often expensive and needing a person to be interested in repair/maintenance in order to get to the fun software. Young people just aren't into 80s computers, not like game consoles.

• Agree 1

The Commodore 64/128 and Atari 800/XL/XE are definitely exceptions to this. Both have strong collecting and discussion communities, frequent homebrew releases, and new hardware projects. Back when I used to refurbish and sell these systems (1995-2005 or so), three quarters of my sales were to people under 30. Most of the younger NES/SNES collectors I meet are primarily interested what they can resell stuff for.

My "Top 3" are...

1) Those who think that by calling themselves a "fan" of any game, series, or franchise, it somehow automatically means that they can act like they deserve more than what is being offered. 😑

Reason: Not every game is a "one size fits all" scenario. Just like not every AAA game that came out in Japan automatically means it will sell as well outside Japan. Nor be distributed outside Japan due to a licensing scenario (ex. Dragon Quest XI on the 3DS). Stuff the "fans" should know but do not because it does not give them what the "customers" want.

2) The "rare game" people who base rarity on secondary market prices, often the higher end ones, and not how hard it is to find said game. 🤨

Reason: In my case I had made my second (failed) attempt at getting the "first purchase benefits" sticker variant of Dragon Quest Heroes I∙II for Nintendo Switch. The end result was that the official Japanese site says that the offer was "very limited" and did not say which stores participated in said offer. Yet... Trying to see how rare it is among all of the Switch games gave me results like this one (click here).

3) Uneducated gamers who think their "Graded games are a scam!" comments automatically make it a scam.

Reason: They sound less educated, at least to me, than those who think a market value is how anybody should determine a game's rarity. In the end, using hype to manipulate the market is a scam. Trying to sell a slightly better protected game is not.

The remaining two are the "Games are meant to be played." types; more specifically those who act like the people they use as examples are not collectors themselves. And the "This game is rare because it costs this much!" types.

Edited by YOURTURN

My big one is when people say, "you're stuck in the past" and should try out new modern games because they're "great" when you tell them you only play older games.  Can't I just prefer one thing over another without there having to be some debilitating flaw to my character for not conforming to the popular whim of the masses?  If someone told me that they loved country music and hated metal, I wouldn't insult them by insinuating that there is something wrong with them and that they should listen to a metal album right away since metal music roxors!!!!  I'd leave them be to listen to all the country music they desire until the day they die.

In conclusion, if someone tells you they don't play modern games, don't fucking recommend a modern game that they just have to play that will change their mind...  😛

3 hours ago, Brickman said:

Going to Reddit gamecollecting and it’s basically just filled with posts of what people bought on ebay or locally. Why isn’t there a sticky thread where everyone posts their new shit then the rest of the sub can be used for talking about game collecting.

While I understand and agree to an extent, What else would you talk about in a sub specifically for collecting if not the act of acquiring things for a collection?

2 minutes ago, LeatherRebel5150 said:

While I understand and agree to an extent, What else would you talk about in a sub specifically for collecting if not the act of acquiring things for a collection?

Like things we talk about here. The act of collecting and collecting questions. 

It feels like the sub is mainly just one show off site. A pinned thread like we have here would be better.

If the sub was called gamefinds then I could totally understand.

9 minutes ago, Brickman said:

Like things we talk about here. The act of collecting and collecting questions. 

It feels like the sub is mainly just one show off site. A pinned thread like we have here would be better.

If the sub was called gamefinds then I could totally understand.

But yet we’re here in Collectors Corner right now talking about what we’re all annoyed by on the internet related to gaming…we’re not talking about collecting. So sticking to the act of collecting doesn’t even work here all that well.

Plus, nobody looks at sticky threads. Even if you made a mega thread for peoples pickups in the collecting sub no one would use it. Ive seen that across multiple subs “make a sticky for it.” It never works.

I think that is a major formatting issue. If Im on reddit Im using my phone and always sort by newest, which doesn’t show me the sticky threads. I assume most people probably use reddit the same way and will never even know a specific place for it exists 

Hm, I don't know. There's not much about it that bothers me. There are things I'm not into, like graded games, but I don't have an issue with people who are into that.

I guess the easy answers would be: elitist attitudes and high prices. I just like games; not in it for posturing or investment returns.