IGNORED

Meme You Just Have to Share

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

17 hours ago, Dr. Morbis said:

Can someone explain this one to me?  I 110% don't get it, like not even a little bit.  It also looks like an 8 year old got his first computer and the first thing he did was boot up MS Paint and attempt to make his very own meme...   🤷‍♂️

I found this article which talks about this meme: https://happymag.tv/we-live-in-a-society-meme-explained/

6 hours ago, Tenjikuronin said:

I found this article which talks about this meme: https://happymag.tv/we-live-in-a-society-meme-explained/

I guess as someone who avoids the scum of the earth (reddit, tiktok, facebook, etc) I am doomed to forever spit out Murtaugh's (Danny Glover's) catchphrase in the Lethal Weapon movies...

9 hours ago, Dr. Morbis said:

I guess as someone who avoids the scum of the earth (reddit, tiktok, facebook, etc) I am doomed to forever spit out Murtaugh's (Danny Glover's) catchphrase in the Lethal Weapon movies...

If I read one more article trying to explain Gen-Z humor and it uses the term absurdism or dadaism to describe it, I'm gonna...  I'm gonna.... well I feel like I should do something but I'm too old to really care.

The TL;DR to the whole thing (and I have read a few articles "explaining" Gen-Z humor and memes, and they all basically say the same thing) is this-- "We don't really understand this humor ourselves!  It's built on so many layers and our attention spans are so short, we don't know the original intent, but we have to laugh to feel relevant!  We have mental health issues! Waaaa! BOTTOM TEXT"*.  You really can sell a good meme that's stewed a while if you throw a "BOTTOM TEXT" on it.

* I do take mental health issues seriously but, again, I've read multiple articles over the last few years trying to "explain" this humor.  I'm not exaggerating.  They all make a point to say three specific things within the context of whatever joke they are trying to explain.  Number 1 and 2, work "absurdism" and "dadaism" into the article and, last, point out that "this generation struggles with mental health issue."  That's a fact and somehow it's used to explain this nonsense.  Mental health.  Not directly, but it's always, always referenced.

• Like 1

Editorials Team · Posted
20 hours ago, RH said:

If I read one more article trying to explain Gen-Z humor and it uses the term absurdism or dadaism to describe it, I'm gonna...  I'm gonna.... well I feel like I should do something but I'm too old to really care.

The TL;DR to the whole thing (and I have read a few articles "explaining" Gen-Z humor and memes, and they all basically say the same thing) is this-- "We don't really understand this humor ourselves!  It's built on so many layers and our attention spans are so short, we don't know the original intent, but we have to laugh to feel relevant!  We have mental health issues! Waaaa! BOTTOM TEXT"*.  You really can sell a good meme that's stewed a while if you throw a "BOTTOM TEXT" on it.

* I do take mental health issues seriously but, again, I've read multiple articles over the last few years trying to "explain" this humor.  I'm not exaggerating.  They all make a point to say three specific things within the context of whatever joke they are trying to explain.  Number 1 and 2, work "absurdism" and "dadaism" into the article and, last, point out that "this generation struggles with mental health issue."  That's a fact and somehow it's used to explain this nonsense.  Mental health.  Not directly, but it's always, always referenced.

/Old man rant

• Haha 1