IGNORED

Analogue N64 Console

WalterWhiteJr.

11 minutes ago, OptOut said:

4 OG controller ports! 🤩

Here's the thing... this is a case where I 100% prefer OG... but I don't want to drop, what, $200-300 to get an original controller, fresh and new, so that it's not worn out.  I'm sure really good N64 controllers are out there, but they are devices I will not buy unless I can test them because most are worn out.  I also know that no one (last I checked) has seemed to crack that perfect N64 analog stick that I'm aware of.

But if there was any company that I'd have faith in that might get close to it, it'd be Analogue.  Of course, they are best at FPGA/software programming so who knows if that would be true or not.  But maybe.... I'd still buy 4x of those things and if they ended up not feeling right, I'd just sell them.  I'm sure there will be demand.

11 minutes ago, RH said:

Here's the thing... this is a case where I 100% prefer OG... but I don't want to drop, what, $200-300 to get an original controller, fresh and new, so that it's not worn out.  I'm sure really good N64 controllers are out there, but they are devices I will not buy unless I can test them because most are worn out.  I also know that no one (last I checked) has seemed to crack that perfect N64 analog stick that I'm aware of.

But if there was any company that I'd have faith in that might get close to it, it'd be Analogue.  Of course, they are best at FPGA/software programming so who knows if that would be true or not.  But maybe.... I'd still buy 4x of those things and if they ended up not feeling right, I'd just sell them.  I'm sure there will be demand.

There's a simple trick to getting good N64 controllers with good sticks. Buy 'em from Japan. 

They are WAY cheaper than anywhere else and near new controllers are listed on Yahoo bid all the time. 

I have a stockpile of like 10+ N64 controllers with new or near new sticks, it's lush. 😉

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, fcgamer said:

I literally have no idea what you're talking about 

Gloves use magic box to fix big bad digital signal to friendly good analog signal.

Gloves play 'tendo game where you make Mario run every direction on grandma TV.

Gloves happy.

Comprende? 😛

• Haha 4

A friend of mine local asked me about this one.  My basic understanding of what an FPGA and how it basically works I shared, and it really got me thinking.

How much is this going to cost in the end as they love to turn a healthy profit.  I've heard in not a distant past even a PS1 on FPGA would be pretty meaty and have a cost under it which is why it wasn't done yet, and the N64 is a good leap ahead, quite a bit heavier than that so I'm wondering how the hell they pulled it off and again, at what cost?!

Also Duo, they can't even get their shit together on that one, they've left people twisting for a year.   Is N64 even plausible to hit the end of 2024 or is this another cracked out hype machine to get tens of thousands out of their mindless drones of followers to then maybe ship it a in 2025 or later?  This seems like a bit of a stretch even for them.  As it is, even on the existing pocket they've jacked the price up twice now from 200 to 220 to now 250 for the basic handheld.

So is this like begging for attention? They don't necessarily have to deliver in 2024.  There is no promise other than something n64 in 2024, not a release of it, it could just be a preorder next Christmas to get away with not actually lying.  And that's the rub there in the end they can't do pocket right, can't get a working dock going as advertised, and the Duo is an ever delayed until released piece of vaporware.  Various sites and forums not long ago were dumping on other groups who promised big, started out well, then got into the weeds to those who just were in the weeds or on weed(like coleco chameleon.)  I'm curious to see where this goes.  I won't pay for it, got my ultrahdmi updated original system, and even a spare n64 I got a week ago(cib atomic system) so it would just be a waste.

1 hour ago, OptOut said:

How is running the cutting edge of retro-gaming technology a waste of money? You clearly don't seem to understand the benefits of the Analogue systems, they are fantastic.

I own every analogue system except a pocket lol 

I was talking about Gloves using them to play on a CRT. 

Edited by a3quit4s
  • Like 1

This thing isn't for people who want to play exclusively original carts on CRT. You can do that, but it's not going to provide (many) benefits over a stock system.

It is for people who:

1. Want a reliable system without dealing with repairs/hunting down good condition
  2. Want to display their games on HD TVs, part of the time or all of the time
  3. Want to take their system on-the-go, like to a friend's house who may not be set up for retro games
  4. Want to play ROMs, but do it without lag, without a computer, and with higher accuracy

Probably plenty of other benefits (Game Shark codes, scanline modes, etc.), but those are the big ones in terms of gameplay.

I have an RGB N64 and an ultra-hdmi one, so I don't really need this, but might get one anyway just because I'm a collector and for the convenience. I have most of the other major Analogue line of products and I've used them all here-and-there but they aren't my main consoles.

• Like 1

I’m generally surprised to see them even making another console that is specific to one system. With the Pocket you think the next console would just be a Pocket without a screen that isn’t meant to be portable and just had OpenFPGA on it and you could just use all the existing cores. I guess N64 emulation is a ripe pain in the ass the requires a stronger processor and maybe it opens the gates to other more powerful systems down the road. 

Im certainly not mad at another Analogue system because all of them are best in class, but the N64 has been discussed at length and the library just isn’t great. I just don't see a lot of people running out to spend 300-500 on a system to play ocarina of time when they could just get one of the several other ways to play it. Same for all the other games on the system people actually play. Aren’t they all on NSO anyways? 

I just wanted Duo news hahaha

• Disagree 2

2 minutes ago, a3quit4s said:

I guess N64 emulation is a ripe pain in the ass the requires a stronger processor and maybe it opens the gates to other more powerful systems down the road. 

Yeah, it's been quite difficult to replicate N64 hardware on single chip systems, which is why there's been a dearth of clones (I know Hyperkin announced and then quietly shitcanned an N64 clone. Probably because of how difficult it would be to make one. Nintendo didn't even try to make a classic edition of it. It's that complicated.)

Kevtris said about five or so years ago he wouldn't expect an FPGA N64 for ... five or so years. I guess FPGA tech finally caught up. Man knows his stuff.

• Like 1

Events Helper · Posted
1 hour ago, RH said:

dude, kitsch bent, I think spelling, has great gears, bowls and sticks, look them up, like less than a dollar apiece and guess what, my worn out n64 controller is brand new after me of all people rebuilt it!!!!!  no need to buy like new/new controllers when u can just replace worn out parts with basically oem, ok the sticks aren't perfect, but @drxandy says old stick are still fine, so just replace the guts and good as new.

Edited by Jeevan
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1
  • Agree 2

54 minutes ago, OptOut said:

There's a simple trick to getting good N64 controllers with good sticks. Buy 'em from Japan. 

They are WAY cheaper than anywhere else and near new controllers are listed on Yahoo bid all the time. 

I have a stockpile of like 10+ N64 controllers with new or near new sticks, it's lush. 😉

How much are they, usually each?  I looked them up a while ago and, with shipping, they were a bit out of my price point.  Still, you're probably right and I should probably save up for that.  It really isn't a bad suggestion.

• Thanks 1

Events Helper · Posted
7 minutes ago, RH said:

How much are they, usually each?  I looked them up a while ago and, with shipping, they were a bit out of my price point.  Still, you're probably right and I should probably save up for that.  It really isn't a bad suggestion.

don't buy dirty ole Japanese controllers, just rebuild your own!  literally 10 bux for everything I think is what I spent to rebuild 4 controllers.

• Agree 2

15 minutes ago, Jeevan said:

dude, kitsch bent, I think spelling, has great gears, bowls and sticks, look them up, like less than a dollar apiece and guess what, my worn out n64 controller is brand new after me of all people rebuilt ok!!!!!  no need to buy like new/new controllers when u can just replace worn out parts with basically oem, ok the sticks aren't perfect, but @drxandy says old stick are still fine, so just replace the guts and good as new.

2 minutes ago, Jeevan said:

don't buy dirty ole Japanese controllers, just rebuild your own!  literally 10 bux for everything I think is what I spent to rebuild 4 controllers.

See here's the thing.  I might try this and I should at least once, but I've bought various repairs and I really, really don't like being that guy who complains because things aren't perfect but there's just something about the OG analog, probably because of it's problems, that just can't be fixed.  I've even swapped out a Hori I had (which people have loved for decades) and it wasn't quite right and I even bought one of those analogs that was from a GC Controller.  The throw (I think that's the term) isn't quite as large due to the shape and it's usable but not the same.

What muscle memory I have is sensitive.  I tend to do better on the controls that I have that are only-slightly worn out.  Opty's suggestion is probably best for me if I take the time, effort and money to do it.  If I can get 3-4 near new controllers from Japan, I'd be set for a while.  At least if I wear those out, I'll be doing it and will adjust as the controllers are wearing down.  But I can't explain it.  It's like I have it locked in my brain of what a fresh controller feels like since I had a lot of them as a kid, and there are some nice fixes but... none of them feel right.

And to be clear, the more I think about it, I do blame Nintendo. Those analogs were less than perfect, so I kind of learned to finesse their wonkiness and now all I want is perfect wonkiness to go with my Watermelon N64. Lol.

14 minutes ago, RH said:

I usually buy a couple every time I put a Japan order in. I usually get a good several hundred bucks worth of stuff at a time and consolidate shipping, so a couple of boxed like-new controllers for 20 or 30 bucks each is basically a drop in the ocean for big orders like that.

4 minutes ago, OptOut said:

I usually buy a couple every time I put a Japan order in. I usually get a good several hundred bucks worth of stuff at a time and consolidate shipping, so a couple of boxed like-new controllers for 20 or 30 bucks each is basically a drop in the ocean for big orders like that.

I think I was seeing about $50 each but my search term of "new n64 controller" probably didn't help.  $50 isn't bad but when you want a pair, from two sellers, and shipping's gonna be $25-35 bucks each, it adds up.

I way low on frivolous spending money, but if I ever build back up those funds, I need to consider using one of those local services that you can have all your items shipped to in Japan and then they finally ship it too you.  If I ever sat on $1,000 that I wanted to dedicate to Japanese stuff, I could definitely make a purchase like this worth the effort.

Edited by RH

Events Helper · Posted
22 minutes ago, RH said:

See here's the thing.  I might try this and I should at least once, but I've bought various repairs and I really, really don't like being that guy who complains because things aren't perfect but there's just something about the OG analog, probably because of it's problems, that just can't be fixed.  I've even swapped out a Hori I had (which people have loved for decades) and it wasn't quite right and I even bought one of those analogs that was from a GC Controller.  The throw (I think that's the term) isn't quite as large due to the shape and it's usable but not the same.

What muscle memory I have is sensitive.  I tend to do better on the controls that I have that are only-slightly worn out.  Opty's suggestion is probably best for me if I take the time, effort and money to do it.  If I can get 3-4 near new controllers from Japan, I'd be set for a while.  At least if I wear those out, I'll be doing it and will adjust as the controllers are wearing down.  But I can't explain it.  It's like I have it locked in my brain of what a fresh controller feels like since I had a lot of them as a kid, and there are some nice fixes but... none of them feel right.

And to be clear, the more I think about it, I do blame Nintendo. Those analogs were less than perfect, so I kind of learned to finesse their wonkiness and now all I want is perfect wonkiness to go with my Watermelon N64. Lol.

dude, order 4, if u don't like them sell them to me.  I can always use spares.  consider this a money back guarantee.  all u would be out is ur time!  I get it I hate the brawler as the sensitivity is way too high on the joystick, these just feel right.

Edited by Jeevan

16 minutes ago, RH said:

I think I was seeing about $50 each but my search term of "new n64 controller" probably didn't help.  $50 isn't bad but when you want a pair, from two sellers, and shipping's gonna be $25-35 bucks each, it adds up.

I way low on frivolous spending money, but if I ever build back up those funds, I need to consider using one of those local services that you can have all your items shipped to in Japan and then they finally ship it too you.  If I ever sat on $1,000 that I wanted to dedicate to Japanese stuff, I could definitely make a purchase like this worth the effort.

The last 3 years or so, I've put in something like 10 orders to Japan with a couple different consolidation services.

You can't call it cheap, as the fees, postage and import taxes add up, even if the per-item price ends up cheaper than eBay would be. 

However, there are just things you simply can't get reliably and affordably outside of Japan, and if there are a good number of items you truly desire, I would say it's well worth the effort.

I would say a decent number of items to make the service worth the cost and hassle is between 10 and 20 items. Fewer than 10 and you are probably not making back the taxes and shipping in savings. Over 20, depending on the size and weight of the items, you start running the risk of excessive postage fees.

I haven't put an order in this year actually, seeing as I actually went to Japan this year. But I am definitely starting to feel the itch, might start scoping out some of the Mega Drive listings again soon... 😄

• Thanks 1

I know Jeevan is going nuts over it, got tired of hitting that like button even, but he is right.  I'm very picky about that and have never found a product that works right from the full on replacement modules from china that don't get the deadzone anywhere near accurate to other oddball moves.

Those two small pieces are what get wrecked from aggressive mario party abuse on N64 controllers, and unlike others who attempted it (I've tried 2, forgot whom) I was seeing the cheap price and gave it a third time the charm routine to pay for it and well it paid off.  I've still got a couple spare sets of them here I keep in case I come across a wrecked n64 stick, and the couple I did use so far made the thing work correct.  Never had a reason to buy the bowl as I never had one of those destroyed, it's always those little overlapping gears get worn wide and the stick gets sloppy.  Oddly enough the cheapest easiest fix was the best, not re-inventing the wheel just 3Dprinting a full on copy of it instead. 😄

I do have one other mystery, a strange n64 controller (atomic) I was given someone replaced the stick with a gamecube style one and man it's far more comfy and smooth for play, no sliding on off stuff.  One of these days i should tear it apart and try and figure out how it was done or who made it as it's great.

Edited by Tanooki

I'm definitely excited, and I will almost certainly get one.  I'm a little surprised by the name.  I understand not wanting to use "64," in the name, but "3D" seems a bit generic when they will almost certainly make another 3D console down the road.  I'm surprised they aren't going with "Ultra Nt."

Edited by TDIRunner
  • Like 1

Hell yeah!!!! What great news to wake up to.

This is going to sell like crazy imo

Also, besides a few complainers here the majority love the build quality of Analogue and that’s why it sells. Their customer service and shipping is absolute garbage though.

This won’t be out until 2025 and will probably sit around the $260 mark imo.

Also @fcgamer if you strictly only play on a CRT then this device wouldn’t be worth getting. This is more for people that like to play on modern TVs without input lag or take it to friends houses for easy setup. They have an item called a DAC which allows you to input a hdmi into it and output component cables to CRT so people can get the best of both worlds. 4K TV and CRT.

• Like 1