IGNORED

Kguillemette's Heavy Metal top 100 songs of all time. COMPLETE

Kguillemette

On 9/23/2023 at 8:23 AM, Kguillemette said:

#53 System of a Down- Toxicity

Toxicity is a song and album that could not be escaped when it first came out. It still can't. This is one of the rare Nu-metal acts out there that found themselves respected and enjoyed almost universally. Even the most sceney of scenester like this song. The most metally of metalheads like this song. The boppiest of teenie bopper like this song. Why? It's just really good.

That whole album is pretty dang good. Toxicity is such a fun song to listen to and just hits hard everytime I hear it on the radio. I think my favorite song on that album is prison song though.

System of a down was my first concert actually and was a former favorite before I started getting into heavy/power metal. I saw em at Pine Knob (called DTE amphitheater or some bullcrap at the time) in 2015. It was a fun show, Le Butcherettes (probably the worst performance I have ever seen out of any show I've been to) and the Melvins were there too. I would have loved to see them back in their prime, I have a hard time listening to Serj's solo stuff. The songs he does are alright but he changed the way he sings or something and I can't say I'm a fan.

• Like 1

I'm taking a couple days off to let the countdown(and myself) breathe. Today at the halfway mark seems like a great place for a recap

100 Volbeat- Lola Montez

99 Tiamat- Whatever that Hurts

98 Gwar- Sadaam a Go Go

97 Dismal Euphony- Abandon

96 Motorhead- God was Never on Your Side

95 Bloodbath- Eaten

94 Probot- Red War

93 Angel Vivaldi- ._____(one)

92 The Company Band- Hot Topic Woman

91 Gamma Ray- Anywhere in the Galaxy

90 King Diamond- A Mansion in Darkness

89 Kong- Fair

88 Green Jelly- Three Little Pigs

87 Allen Lande- My Own Way Home

86 ...And Oceans- Je Te Connais Beau Masque

85 Pantera- Cemetary Gates

84 Tool- 46 and 2

83 Delain- Invictus

82 Avenged Sevenfold- Beast and the Harlot

81 Cradle of Filth- Her Ghost in the Fog

80 Amaran- Atropine

79 Anthrax- Panic

78 Opera IX- Fronds of the Ancient Walnut

77 Testament- Practice What You Preach

76 HIM- Alive by Love

75 Mastodon- Motherlode

74 Exodus- Downfall

73 Vomitron- Castlevania

72 Within Temptation- Paradise

71 Sabaton- Devil Dogs

70 Hammerfall- Something for the Ages

69 Arch Enemy- The Eagle Flies Alone

68 Soilwork- My Need

67 Aryeon- Through the Wormhole

66 Deep Purple- Pictures of Home

65 Anathema- Panic Attack

64 Meshuggah- Bleed

63 Kamelot- March of Mephisto

62 For My Pain- Dancer in the Dark

61 Finntroll- Trollhamaren

60 Mercyful Fate- Nightmare

59 OSI- ShutDOWN

58 Tristania- Beyond the Veil

57 In Flames- Cloud Connected

56 Mr Bungle- Squeeze Me Macaroni

55 Shadows Fall- The Light that Blinds

54 Metallica- Seek and Destroy

53 System of a Down- Toxicity

52 Mayhem- Freezing Moon

51 Katatonia- Dispossesion

@Hammerfestus @Reed Rothchild @MrWunderful @SNESNESCUBE64 @guitarzombie@guiguitarzombie@

I'll be back to fix the tags later. Time to bring the kids to school. Thanks again to everyone who has stayed with me!

Edited by Kguillemette
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Kguillemette said:

@Brickman @Murray @CodysGameRoom @Gloves

Feel free and tag anyone else whom may be interested in my countdown

You lost me yesterday with Katatonia 🤣 Just kidding. The top 30 is when I get more interested. I’ve enjoyed the list so far and have added bands I don’t know to my list 🙂 

3 minutes ago, Brickman said:

Actually stop the presses. What the hell is this!?????

This is like when In Flames started going downhill. How is this song 57 Vs anything on the albums before cloud connected? 

Looks like we have a volunteer for the next top 100 metal list from someone who needs to show me and Reed how it's done!

I love this song. I listened to it the first time when Reed featured In Flames this and it stuck with me since then.

Edited by Kguillemette
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Kguillemette said:

Looks like we have a volunteer for the next top 100 metal list from someone who needs to show me and Reed how it's done!

I love this song. I listened to it the first time when Reed featured In Flames this and it stuck with me since then.

Nah I’m just like the guys in the muppets who throw outs comments to get discussions going 😆 

I have thought of doing a top 100 RPGs or some sort of video game theme but it looks like so much work. Great work to you and Reed actually making one of these and typing it all up.

44 minutes ago, Brickman said:

Nah I’m just like the guys in the muppets who throw outs comments to get discussions going 😆 

I have thought of doing a top 100 RPGs or some sort of video game theme but it looks like so much work. Great work to you and Reed actually making one of these and typing it all up.

Appreciated! And thank you to everyone here at VGS for being a great community that makes me comfortable exploring a potential hobby in writing.

#50 Queensryche- Queen of the Reich

Is the the blueprint for what would become power metal? Released at the same time as the peak of Priest and Maiden powers, it may be. Far from the glam rock that Queensryche would eventually become famous for, they made this stunning and aggressive track to really get the blood pumping! Reading their Wikipedia, it seems the band loved this song so much they named themselves after it. I can't say I wouldn't feel the same way! Its clear that they certainly retained the respect of the metal community in spite of their glam rock years. I don't recall Twisted Sister or Ratt ever playing at Wacken Open Air!

• Like 2

Graphics Team · Posted
22 hours ago, Reed Rothchild said:

And @T-Pac is a core guy

More gutturals = more good.

Spoiler

Sorry for the brief thread derail @Kguillemette. Much respect for putting together a top 100 countdown. I'd really need to expand my library to pull off anything close to this without repeating the same bands over and over. Seems like you've got diverse tastes, though, so that definitely helps.

Halfway there - keep 'em coming, dude!

[T-Pac]

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, MrWunderful said:

I practiced blast beats/ gravity blasts in honor of this thread. 

16ths at 140 on double bass and right/left (snare/bell)

Hey man welcome back! Was wondering where you had gotten to.

4 hours ago, Kguillemette said:

@T-Pac @Gloves

We need a horns reaction emoji! \m/

Agreed! It would be so fitting for so many situations.

#49 Gorjira- Silvera

We all knew Gorjira was going to be on here somewhere. They are simply one of the best groups to form in the last 25 years. Everything they make and do is precise, artful, and spectacular. I chose "Silvera" as it just spoke to me the moment I heard it and it stands as another one of those songs to help you grind through a really tough year. So thank you to this group of Frenchmen for existing! On a side note, there is very little quality metal coming out of France. I guess Gorjia owns all the talent in the country!

• Love 1