IGNORED

Kguillemette's Heavy Metal top 100 songs of all time. COMPLETE

Kguillemette

A7X's newest album is a bit odd compared to the rest of their stuff, but they have several pretty good songs. I'm not as much of a fan of them either, can't say I've heard that song. I would have figured if you were looking for a popular song from them you would have found "bat country" or "welcome to the family", which are pretty alright.

35 minutes ago, SNESNESCUBE64 said:

A7X's newest album is a bit odd compared to the rest of their stuff, but they have several pretty good songs. I'm not as much of a fan of them either, can't say I've heard that song. I would have figured if you were looking for a popular song from them you would have found "bat country" or "welcome to the family", which are pretty alright.

Hehe, Beast in the Harlot is actually one of the final levels in Guitar Hero 2 which is where I knew it from. 

• Like 1

• The title was changed to Kguillemette's Heavy Metal top 100 songs of all time. #82!!!
2 hours ago, VegHead said:

I've always been a "classic rock" guy, but I've started dipping into some of the older (heavy?) metal bands the last few years.  I try to learn new groups by going through teir catalogs chronologically. I'm up through Powerslave with Iron Maiden, and I've been looking for an original vinyl for Dio's Holy Diver.  Dokkhen is now on my radar, too, after hearing their song in Nightmare on Elm Street 4(?).  

That said, I get distracted easily.  Currently, I am enjoying Rush's debut album, and the Gorillaz are on deck.  

Welcome to the Metal community then! I hope you get an opportunity to listen to some of the songs on my countdown and discover something you like. I highly recommend checking out the list made by @Reed Rothchild. It is an excellent scroll through.

• Like 1

I’ve never listened to any avenged sevenfold.  My understanding was always that they were like hot topic shadows fall.  I have no idea if that’s true or just something I made up in my head.

Edit: upon slightly further inspection that doesn’t necessarily seem to be the case but there is kind of an old man-Hetfield thing going on.  How you gonna try to rip off the yeah yeahs?

Edited by Hammerfestus
  • Haha 1

Editorials Team · Posted
5 hours ago, Kguillemette said:

Hehe, Beast in the Harlot is actually one of the final levels in Guitar Hero 2 which is where I knew it from. 

One of those early games had Unholy Confessions too, but I don't remember which one.  Both gave the band a big boost

Or maybe it wasn't a game.  Fuck if I can remember.

#81 Cradle of Filth- Her Ghost in the Fog

Both another nostalgic pick and a guilty pleasure of mine. I could only listen on a burned copy with headphones cause I didn't want my metal friends to judge me nor did I want those loser hot topic freaks to know we had something in common.(Tongue in cheek! I loved the other hot topic kids! See entry #92!) Regardless of how well CoF holds up today they, and this song in paticular, drew me in to the Metal world and helped shape a lot of my personality. I know what all 7 of my readers are thinking. If CoF of all black metal bands is represented this low, where the heck will the superior ICS Vortex bands be? I guess you will have to keep waiting to find out!

• Like 1

#80 Amaran- Atropine

A little flash in the pan band that came and made 2 very solid albums. Really nice mixture of groove and power metal lead by a female singer. When I first heard them it felt both new and familiar at the same time. 20 something years later it still gets regular playtime by me.

And on that note we are 20% of the way through! It's been a fun ride so far and I'll be looking to continue on strong!

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Kguillemette said:

And on that note we are 20% of the way through! It's been a fun ride so far and I'll be looking to continue on strong!

I'm enjoying it, you've already posted a good handful of stuff that I like and is new to me. I'm looking forward to it too. Thanks for sharing!

• Like 1

#79 Anthrax- Panic

This song is just intense. It is one of those hype me up on my way into a busy workday type of songs. This is pure aggression here. If there are fans of 80s Thrash, I highly recommend looking up the remade versions of Anthrax hits on the Greater of 2 Evils album. They did a chest clutching good job with it.

• Like 1

#78 Opera IX- Fronds of the Ancient Walnut

Do you like 13 minute over the top Black Metal epics? Of course you do! There's something about the more underground bands of the time with raw production values that didn't match the type of music they were trying to make. I've always had a soft spot for that indy vibe. I also always had a crush on Cadaveria, the girl out there sounding like Shagrath. ❤️💙💜

Edited by Kguillemette

• The title was changed to Kguillemette's Heavy Metal top 100 songs of all time. #78!!!
Editorials Team · Posted
On 8/24/2023 at 7:24 AM, Kguillemette said:

#83 Delain- Invictus

Delain came back in a big way. I had no idea they were still active till I heard this. Then Marko Heirala comes in out of nowhere to chime in, and I am a sucker for his voice. I'm very glad there is excellent symphonic metal being produced in the world. Welcome back to the fold, Delain! On a side note, this is probably the only time an album released this year will be on my list, but it is a future classic. It hit me right in the feels the same way when Nightwish released Once.

Catching up.  I blind bought their first two albums once upon a time, and saw them with Nightwish, but haven't heard the post-Charlotte stuff.

• Like 1

#77 Testament- Practice What You Preach

There may be a big four of California 80s thrash, but there deserves to be 5 with Testament. It's the kind of music your mom will be screaming to turn down while she bangs on your floor with a broomstick from the room below you. After all, this type of metal was designed to rebel against lazy moms who can't be bothered to go to upstairs to bang on your door! Just wait till dad gets home! ...okay, I'll turn it down...

• Haha 1

#76 HIM- Buried Alive by Love

True Kvltists will hate this pick. All the better for it. While they vocally hated HIM, I was riding with their girlfriend rocking out to this album. Love Metal? It's like a beefier queens of the stone age. But it is catchy and damn good. I'll stand on the mountain that HIM is awesome, and the opening track to Love Metal is fire and sold me right away on them. I seem to have a lot of opening tracks on here. I guess it comes with the territory of growing up in the early 2000s when blind album purchases was a primary way to discover new music.

4 hours ago, Reed Rothchild said:

Paging @Bearcat-Doug

This reminds me that I kinda want to do a hard rock/metal bracket.

But I have a hard time seeing it being a raging success.

That's probably my favorite HIM album, so it's good to see I'm not the only one that likes their music even though the music debate poll wasn't too favorable.

• Like 1