IGNORED

Kguillemette's Heavy Metal top 100 songs of all time. COMPLETE

Kguillemette

# 88 Green Jelly- Three Little Pigs

We've seen Gwar on my list already, so this shouldn't be a surprise to anyone. This was an anthem from my childhood. I still remember singing it loud with the rest of my little league team when it first came out. Fun fact, this is another sighting of a premiere metal drummer. That is indeed Danny Carey in there. It's hard to tell because the time signature isn't changing every 30 seconds. 

• Like 1

• The title was changed to Kguillemette's Heavy Metal top 100 songs of all time. #88!!
4 hours ago, Kguillemette said:

#88 Allen Lande- My Own Way Home

This is a much more serious song with serious lyrical content. It's been a tough year for me and this song has been instrumental for inspiring me to pick me up by my bootstraps and get me back on my feet. 

Nice.  Two thumbs up for the Jorn Lande love.  The first Masterplan album is one of my all time favorite power metal albums.

• Love 1

#86 ...and Oceans- Je te Connais Beau Masque

It may not be the best of the synth heavy black metal tracks of the day, but The Dynamic Gallery of Thoughts was the first time I've ever heard blast beats. It's very nostalgic for me, and indeed a solid album. But I give bonus points to any band that includes 4 different languages in a single song.

Edited by Kguillemette

33 minutes ago, Reed Rothchild said:

@Kguillemette and I have zero band overlap so far.  I know it's coming eventually, I just don't know when 😄

Listening to the new one now.  I read it as "The Ocean" for a second.

Also looks like that was #86

Go ahead and say it... Fucking rookie!

I'm surprised there's no overlap so far. It's not much of a spoiler to assume as we get deeper there absolutely will be. It goes to show just how deep metal is as a genre

#85 Pantera- Cemetary Gates

Figuring out my favorite song by Pantera was mighty difficult. Figuring where my favorite Pantera song fits on this list was agonizing! Okay, maybe not so much since I decided I wasn't going to take this list super seriously, and there are at least 84 songs I prefer to this one. This is not only their biggest hit, but it's the one I plan to bust out next time I go to karaoke night! This or Holy Diver. If how I sound driving around in the car with the windows up and volume cranked is any indication, Im gonna kill it. Go big or go home!

On 8/16/2023 at 10:33 AM, Kguillemette said:

#91 Gamma Ray- Anywhere in the Galaxy

Gamma Ray is probably my favorite band and Power Plant is probably my favorite album. It kicks all the ass and you can't really go wrong with any choice in that album.

Excellent choice.

Edited by SNESNESCUBE64
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, SNESNESCUBE64 said:

Gamma Ray is probably my favorite band and Power Plant is probably my favorite album. It kicks all the ass and you can't really go wrong with any choice in that album.

Excellent choice.

I must say I do enjoy the Ralf Scheepers era also. Heaven Can Wait came real close to making the list, but there are more than a few songs on Powerplant that come out ahead.

#84 Tool- 46 and 2

I feel like Tool is one of those rare metal bands that "made it" but mostly since has been forgotten. I know I forgot about them for a spell. Which is weird, because they are one of the bands that got me into metal in the first place. You can thank the Aenima album for that.

• Love 1

#83 Delain- Invictus

Delain came back in a big way. I had no idea they were still active till I heard this. Then Marko Heirala comes in out of nowhere to chime in, and I am a sucker for his voice. I'm very glad there is excellent symphonic metal being produced in the world. Welcome back to the fold, Delain! On a side note, this is probably the only time an album released this year will be on my list, but it is a future classic. It hit me right in the feels the same way when Nightwish released Once.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Kguillemette said:

@Link @MrWunderful

I feel Tool falls in that category of Prog Metal, though they certainly are less metal with each album they release. Undertow and Aenima are certainly metal albums to these ears anyway.

I was just sharing my impression, but that's totally cool, and I have no objective argument against it. And they've won an AMFT and 2 Grammies in "metal" categories. [further agreeable blithering redacted]

And as you said, you're not taking this seriously. That's a good metal attitude imo. There is so much gatekeeping and defining and kicking people out in metal like dumb "KVLT" shit and I don't think anybody should strive for that attitude. Same thing applies to punk. Fortunately there are people in both genres who won't stand for the exclusivity. 

2 minutes ago, MrWunderful said:

The grammy award board is casuals!!! 😂😂😂

100%. Obviously. A mainstream recognition of an underground movement or anything but pop is rightfully questioned. But. If it brings more people into the fold to understand and dig deeper, I'm for it. Awards are recognition and promotion. 

I've always been a "classic rock" guy, but I've started dipping into some of the older (heavy?) metal bands the last few years.  I try to learn new groups by going through teir catalogs chronologically. I'm up through Powerslave with Iron Maiden, and I've been looking for an original vinyl for Dio's Holy Diver.  Dokkhen is now on my radar, too, after hearing their song in Nightmare on Elm Street 4(?).  

That said, I get distracted easily.  Currently, I am enjoying Rush's debut album, and the Gorillaz are on deck.  

#82 Avenged Sevenfold- Beast and the Harlot.

I'll come out and admit I overall am not an Avenged Sevenfold fan. I find M Shadows vocal style very grating and off putting. Here however, I was challenged by a local guitar player to learn an Avenged song so we could one day sneak it on to our set list. I went with this one remembering it from guitar hero thinking its one of the more approachable hits they had, and for me it is. While I can play most of the song, the fill before the breakdown is just beyond me. Still, listening to it, reading it, learning it so many times, it started to really grow on me. Too bad the band fizzled out. This would have been fun to play.

• Like 1