IGNORED

Kguillemette's Heavy Metal top 100 songs of all time. COMPLETE

Kguillemette

#75 Mastodon- The Motherlode

What do we have here? A song full of energy and empathy and a video full of butts? I'm in!

I fell behind the times on my concert going some 13 years ago. When I was living in Richmond, I went to see Between the Buried and Me, but I hadn't listened to the headliners before. I knew the name Mastodon. I was super impressed watching them play. The guitar player had probably 4 or 5 different guitars laid out and he would switch them mid song sometimes. He knew exactly what he wanted to play at any given point, and completely change his sound up often. This is more than just a metal act. This is a group of artists. I'm still mesmerized all these years later. I wonder if he still does that.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

#74 Exodus- Downfall

Exodus is one of those 80s thrash bands I feel you hear one, you have heard them all. Good thing they stayed active and steadily improved over the years. They finally found the right lineup in the late 2000s to put out some songs that actually feel a bit memorable to me. All that needed to happen were multiple drug ODs. Drugs are bad, mkay? Do people even get that reference or am I just a grandpa?

• Like 1

#73 Vomitron- Castlevania

I thought long and hard about where to include this, even if at all. I've decided that covers will not be included, but what about adaptations and arrangements? In the end, I based my choice on what my favorite metal songs are to keep this list true to myself. This is a really fun adaptation that goes right down the soundtrack and I find to be a very enjoyable listen. I really like this and so will you.

#72 Within Temptation- Paradise ft Tarja

As you all can tell, I have a soft spot for symphonic metal with heavy production values. I love big guitars, big voices, drums and bass lines that don't overdo it, major synths or strings and horns that blend nicely. It's great when done right. Within Temptation is remarkably consistent, though they do flirt with a bit of a nu-metal sound from time to time. Not here though. And Tarja could fart into a bullhorn and make it sound beautiful.

• Like 1

#71 Sabaton- Devil Dogs

A Nordic power metal titan writing songs about running into battle. What makes this any different than the hundreds of times this has been done already? Oh wait, this is about WW1 and how the USA marines cleaned up? This isn't about putting on your thick armor waiting until you can retreat your bearded ass back to Valhalla! Iced Earth wishes they could put out a song about the American military that is as fun as this band of Swedes can. MURICA!! USA!!

• Like 2

• The title was changed to Kguillemette's Heavy Metal top 100 songs of all time. #71!!!
2 hours ago, Kguillemette said:

#71 Sabaton- Devil Dogs

A Nordic power metal titan writing songs about running into battle. What makes this any different than the hundreds of times this has been done already? Oh wait, this is about WW1 and how the USA marines cleaned up? This isn't about putting on your thick armor waiting until you can retreat your bearded ass back to Valhalla! Iced Earth wishes they could put out a song about the American military that is as fun as this band of Swedes can. MURICA!! USA!!

Sabaton kicks so much ass. Night Witches and The Red Baron are my two favorites by them. They were in Michigan not too long ago, but I missed my opportunity to go see em so I am super bummed out about that one.

On 9/1/2023 at 10:16 AM, Kguillemette said:

#75 Mastodon- The Motherlode

What do we have here? A song full of energy and empathy and a video full of butts? I'm in!

I fell behind the times on my concert going some 13 years ago. When I was living in Richmond, I went to see Between the Buried and Me, but I hadn't listened to the headliners before. I knew the name Mastodon. I was super impressed watching them play. The guitar player had probably 4 or 5 different guitars laid out and he would switch them mid song sometimes. He knew exactly what he wanted to play at any given point, and completely change his sound up often. This is more than just a metal act. This is a group of artists. I'm still mesmerized all these years later. I wonder if he still does that.

Great choice. Mastodon has a such a good variety in their music. I truly believe that there is something for everyone in their discography. I saw them live last month, hearing blood and thunder live was one hell of an experience.

20230815_200648.jpg.86ea662bdccb83679e777685f9495f20.jpg

24 minutes ago, Kguillemette said:

@SNESNESCUBE64 I had immediate respect when you said Powerplant is among your favorite albums. You now have even more. \m/ I wish I had more time to go to concerts.

I haven't gone to a ton of shows, but I am trying to make up for that by making them more of a priority when bands come to town. Jinjer/Breaking Benjamin/Disturbed was this past friday. Baroness and Dragonforce in november, can't wait.

The one I'd kill to go see right now is Primal Fear. Their new album kicks ass and they are on tour. All their shows are international though. They have a couple in Japan, but they are happening too soon for me to realistically go.

Yet another excellent choice with Hammerfall. You are 100% right, hammerfall just kicks all the ass.

They are another one of those bands that have a little bit for everyone. They have some really nice slow songs like "Not Today" and "Glory to the Brave". My personal favorites are "Threshold" (my location on VGS) and "Life is now". "Hammer of dawn" is also super rad.

I saw them live when they were touring with Helloween in America they put up a hella good show. Hammerfall/Helloween has probably been my favorite show up to this point.

20230524_190744.jpg.262b78ba5b45b88b497362f8a1b82ced.jpg

• Like 1

On 9/3/2023 at 9:28 AM, Kguillemette said:

#73 Vomitron- Castlevania

I thought long and hard about where to include this, even if at all. I've decided that covers will not be included, but what about adaptations and arrangements? In the end, I based my choice on what my favorite metal songs are to keep this list true to myself. This is a really fun adaptation that goes right down the soundtrack and I find to be a very enjoyable listen. I really like this and so will you.

Vomitron is awesome. I really love their Double Dragon and Contra covers.

• Like 1

#69 Arch Enemy- The Eagle Flies Alone

After 30 entries in, we have our first MDM sighting. Not even close to our first female fronted band though. I love that main riff and groove backing it up. Arch Enemy is full of songs that aren't going to blow anyone away with their flashiness, at least the couple dozen I've listened to haven't, but they are all remarkably catchy. Girl Power!

• Love 1

#68 Soilwork- My Need

Another MDM pick, this time from the early days of the genre. I always loved how in your face this song is. Such an amazing blend of technical skill with that raw production sound. This was a favorite album I would be firing up on the walk home from high school. I always seemed to be walk a little bit faster when this song came on!

• Love 1

Editorials Team · Posted
On 9/7/2023 at 7:12 AM, Kguillemette said:

#69 Arch Enemy- The Eagle Flies Alone

After 30 entries in, we have our first MDM sighting. Not even close to our first female fronted band though. I love that main riff and groove backing it up. Arch Enemy is full of songs that aren't going to blow anyone away with their flashiness, at least the couple dozen I've listened to haven't, but they are all remarkably catchy. Girl Power!

I got an Agonist album in a random CD grab bag from Century Media once upon a time and was immediately like "Holy shit.  Angela who?"

• Like 1

#67 Aryeon- Through the Wormhole

Wow, #67 already? We are really cruising! As mentioned in Reed's list, Aryeon albums are individual rock operas and concept albums that tell a little story or describe a scene over the course of the playthough. They really are meant to be listened to front to back to get a sense of it. He always attracts the biggest metal vocalists around to sing the parts too. Part of the fun I have is trying to identify the vocalists of each song when I listen to an album I haven't heard before. While the singer featured here isn't as famous as say, Bruce Dickinson(oh he's on this album too), can anyone on here identify him, or at least his main band, without googling?

• Like 1

#66 Deep Purple- Pictures of Home

Ahh yes. We are going way back to the origins of metal with this one. It's so fascinating to me listening to Machine Head and hearing the influence this has had on so many of my favorite things. This is in addition to "Pictures of Home" being an incredible song in its own right. If you haven't ever listened to the entirety of machine head and only know the hits like "Highway Star" and "Smoke on the Water",  do yourselves a favor and at least give this one a listen.

• Agree 1

#65 Anathema- Panic

If you read closely at my rules, you will note that I mentioned if an otherwise metal band releases something not metal but is in fact my favorite song by them it will be on this list. I had this song specifically in mind. Anathema started as a Gothic doomy death metal back when they began, and slowly drifted away from that style until they made more alternative and emotive rock. Brilliant rock with that unmistakable metal energy that puts them here. They really reached a pinnacle with this song. If anyone here ever struggled with Anxiety in their life, I feel this song is very relatable. Anathema will always hold a place in my metal heart no matter what kind of music they are now.