IGNORED

Has Tears of the Kingdom ruined Breath of the Wild?

RH

1 hour ago, RH said:

You guys know if you can delete the games updates, pop the cart back in and choose to NOT download the update one first run?  I need to dupe some stuff because I’m not so cool that I won’t cheat.

I don’t know.. but I would assume you could delete all game data associated with a game. Then when you play it again, it would be as if it were the first time you ever played it

I think TotK is the superior game, but I rather BotW. It's sorta like Banjo 1 & 2. The improvements are there, but the game is too expansive and complicated to its detriment. New game is ginormous, with travel and exploration though the time consuming building ruins it (in my opinion) as you have to stop playing to do it. 

• Agree 1

I hate to admit it but @Nintegageo is on the money.  I'm struggling to ever pick the game up.  I think it's fantastic both in the improvements, but also fantastic in size to where it just hurts it because the commitment it needs to make any measurable progress you can feel, let alone feel accomplished with I just can't do but rarely (1x a week if that.)  I have no idea what he's talking about building ruins that even slows you worse, but that's got me paranoid to find out. 😞

7 hours ago, Tanooki said:

I hate to admit it but @Nintegageo is on the money.  I'm struggling to ever pick the game up.  I think it's fantastic both in the improvements, but also fantastic in size to where it just hurts it because the commitment it needs to make any measurable progress you can feel, let alone feel accomplished with I just can't do but rarely (1x a week if that.)  I have no idea what he's talking about building ruins that even slows you worse, but that's got me paranoid to find out. 😞

I don't know exactly what he's talking  about, but as soon as you fall out of the sky, you land not-to-far from some Hylian ruins and on the mound is a set of boards, wheels and a handful of other items.  I sign mentioned something like "Anyone can use this stuff to rebuild Hyrule."

I too looked no farther.  I do not have time to rebuild Hyrule, but as you run around the area of Hyrule, at least nearish to the castle, you see these foundations and building supplies.  I assume you can build small towns and, maybe, people will dwell in them.

I would say this is cool, but that's a type of feature you need to add to a game if you're also going to integrate a  "Community Server" option so multiple people can work on building one town.

This is speculative, though, cause just like you I'm a bit paranoid to figure out what it's even trying to suggest you can do because I'd rather not get sucked into the minutia of rebuilding Hyrule because, well... that's something that would happen to me.  I'll have 5 hearts but doggonit, these  fake digital people will all have nice homes to live in.

I saw those, and I had utterly no idea what to do with them and just moved along. It looked like you could make some cart or some tacky half baked pop up shop or something.  But what got me @RH is that even if it were say for a cart ...how?  There is no powered device like those fans or whatever, and I haven't seen some horsey hitch to make a draw cart either so I just didn't bother because the other option made no sense either with no people sitting around to run a shop or live in a home, especially with monsters near by.  Some of the stuff in the game seems utterly half baked and distracting.

I'm at 5 hearts and +1 stamina still, because I've gotten so lost, spun around on what to do, and a little demotivated with the time it takes to do a simple task I've just not bothered to fast travel to at least 6 spots I unlocked but didn't do the job in for more expansion.

2 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

I saw those, and I had utterly no idea what to do with them and just moved along. It looked like you could make some cart or some tacky half baked pop up shop or something.  But what got me @RH is that even if it were say for a cart ...how?  There is no powered device like those fans or whatever, and I haven't seen some horsey hitch to make a draw cart either so I just didn't bother because the other option made no sense either with no people sitting around to run a shop or live in a home, especially with monsters near by.  Some of the stuff in the game seems utterly half baked and distracting.

I'm at 5 hearts and +1 stamina still, because I've gotten so lost, spun around on what to do, and a little demotivated with the time it takes to do a simple task I've just not bothered to fast travel to at least 6 spots I unlocked but didn't do the job in for more expansion.

I might end up in the same camp as you but I'm not quite there just yet.  I just unlocked the first section of the map and, honestly... I'm not sure where go from here. I have one more shrine in the first map area, so we'll see what happens after that.

Anyway, there is a "power" device if you make a cart, but I don't see the usefulness of it.   Specifically, you should have bought some of those Zonai Orb things from the gumball machine on the island in the sky.  In those orbs, you probably got a fan.  A fan could push a cart.  I fail to see how that's useful though.  They have limited power so it's not like you're making a care or anything.

Yeah, I don't know what any of this is for, but I'm sure there's a town or something somewhere with a few NPCs that kick off information about that whole nature of the building side quest.

This is an odd game.  At first I thought it'd kill the desire to go back to Breath of the Wild.  Specifically what I mean is that if I put a good effort into this game and in 5-10 years if I want to revisit the experience, my gut reaction is that I wouldn't want to go back to BOTW but rather TOTK because it feels like much of the same but with QOL improvements.  But the more I hear you talk and I start looking at the world, I kind of feel like this game might be killed by "feature creep".  The jury for me is still out, personally, on if that will be true or not but that might happen.

3 hours ago, RH said:

I too looked no farther.  I do not have time to rebuild Hyrule, but as you run around the area of Hyrule, at least nearish to the castle, you see these foundations and building supplies.  I assume you can build small towns and, maybe, people will dwell in them.

No the game has nothing of that sort. It's a story thing only. 

The building resources is just there for you to play around and make silly vehicles, or you can ignore them completely. 

Some times you need them to stabilise a guy's sign

Edited by Sumez
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, RH said:

I might end up in the same camp as you but I'm not quite there just yet.  I just unlocked the first section of the map and, honestly... I'm not sure where go from here. I have one more shrine in the first map area, so we'll see what happens after that.

Anyway, there is a "power" device if you make a cart, but I don't see the usefulness of it.   They have limited power so it's not like you're making a care or anything.

est.Yeah, I don't know what any of this is for, but I'm sure there's a town or something somewhere with a few NPCs that kick off information about that whole nature of the building side qu

This is an odd game.  At first I thought it'd kill the desire to go back to Breath of the Wild.  Specifically what I mean is that if I put a good effort into this game and in 5-10 years if I want to revisit the experience, my gut reaction is that I wouldn't want to go back to BOTW but rather TOTK because it feels like much of the same but with QOL improvements.  But the more I hear you talk and I start looking at the world, I kind of feel like this game might be killed by "feature creep".  The jury for me is still out, personally, on if that will be true or not but that might happen.

Well yeah I did have some, might have some again, had a bit of an accident with the mining car on rails at that rate and lost stuff.  But as you said, power is limited, and I wouldn't waste it on that when there's a horse.  You could be right, there was the town building in the first and that town should exist now in some form if it's not rebuilding that then what I have no idea.

It is an odd game, it tries to do so much it's doing too much.  I think it's maybe the epitome of too much of a good thing, kind of also like the saying of if it's not broke don't fix it.  They decided to ignore both, decided to change some stuff maybe for better or worse (I miss the original skills more than these, and they somewhat felt more useful like the bombs for one.)  Yet they also went overkill on what to do and where all to go and spread the land even wider so it's just overwhelming and not in the good way breath of the wild was.  The jury is out here, don't get me wrong, I don't hate it, but I hate I can't really make good enough amount of hours of time to do it without putting a lot of stuff on hold and hoping I have that spread of hours and energy to do it too.  At this specific time since it has been what 6 years now, I could handle still the older Zelda better from scratch than this one as it's huge, but not..HUUUUUGE like this.

Editorials Team · Posted
1 hour ago, rdrunner said:

Yup, this thread is not changing my mind about avoiding BotW let alone the sequel.  I'm sure I could use a walkthrough and "shorten" the game to like 50 hours, but even that is more game time than I have in a month.

You could play over a span of multiple years.  I did that with BotW, on purpose even.

On 6/16/2023 at 8:10 PM, Andy_Bogomil said:

These games are just too big to go back to time and again like some of the older entries.

I think this is an important point to make. I loved BotW when it came out and called it one of the best games and one of my favorite games of all time. But I put 220 hours into the game. It's not like picking up Link to the Past for my once a year playthrough. Which, is both good and bad. Good that there is so much content and stuff to do, but it makes the likelihood of playing it again much lower. 

7 hours ago, Reed Rothchild said:

You could play over a span of multiple years.  I did that with BotW, on purpose even.

3 minutes ago, Link said:

Kinda like we used to in NES days

That's an interesting point, @Link.  I had, maybe 20 games as a kid in the NES/Game Boy/Game Gear era of my life, and I generally bounced around.  Many games took me years to beat.  But there's also a difference.

@Reed Rothchild, I wouldn't mind this approach but I've restarted sooooo many RPGs because, it never fails, I get started and I might get as much as 10-15 hours in a game and I get busy, then distracted and 3-6 months later when I get back to a story driven, or open-world game, I'm clueless about what to do next.

I think this is the real, true reason why I've never beaten FF VI.  For me, it's the quintenessential game I want to play but never have time to finish.  Old games I've beaten 5 times are familiar and, if that happens, I can always jump back in at any point and know what to do.  If I tried that with TOTK, I'd be clueless.